collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do Kids Like Monster High?  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Do Kids Like Monster High?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 08:08:01 AM »
I have to add to this, since I have only no been browsing the Power Ghouls, that I absolutely love the idea. I wasn't all that interested at first. Now I realize how fantastic it is!

Superheroes for girls, who are capable and identifiable and not just damsels in distress or sexbunnies to be oogled at. I read a lot of comic books, have since I was very small and I was often miffed that the girls seemed to be short handed in most things. Super suit, powers and plot lines. There were exceptions of course, lie the Dark Phoenix Saga, oh so very cool! Phoenix herself and her evolution into the evil Dark Phoenix, Kitty Pryde and storm. I don't know anything about DC as the only character I care about from them is Batman.

I was also miffed that when we got superhero toys they were always men... No women. Now we have the Power Ghouls and I am pretty exited about them now that I really wrap my head around the concept. I might add them to my wants, because well, superheroes and I looove superheroes!

I went a bit off topic there sorry  :blush:

I'm not big on superheroes (the only thing I love are Watchmen and Harley&Ivy), but I have to fully agree with you.
Even though we live in the year 2013, girls get shut out everywhere to not taint the holy boy clubs. I think the comic and toy industry are the worst offenders when it comes to the exclusion of little girls.
That's why I instantly adored the idea of Power Ghouls.

And the callbacks to already established female heroes in form of their outfits is a brilliant idea to combine the fashion theme with the superhero theme :)

Even though there's still much to be criticized about MH (their killer heels are my biggest problem), Mattel goes into a good direction with this brand.
And the adult fanbase will keep the thing going for at least a few more years. Maybe they'll one day start to make collector MHs like the different Barbie lines for adult collectors. Age the characters up a bit and bam! Money, money, money ;)

I totally agree with you Zapper! i'm a bit disappointed how girls and wpmen are handled in comics and how girls don't seem to matter when toylines are devised and marketed.

I also agree on the killer heels. On occasion they are okay, but with sports uniforms? Really? I don't see the point of high heeled Fearleeding sneakers. Flats can be and are supercute, so why not add some to the toyline. Barbie has had flats for eons in addition to heels, so why not MH?

I also agree with Elonni on the action figures. The female action figures are either super manly, or overly girly, and though there isn't anything wrong with that I would like there to be a balance of capabillity and being a girl.

This brings me to Friday Night Frights, it has a fantastic message, girls can do just as well as boys and they don't have to change themselves to do it.

Shahaila

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 08:12:01 AM »
I think the Clawdeen and the Torelai superheroes are just adorable, I am so tempted by both of them.

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 08:42:13 AM »
My daughter has them... She plays with them... She also helps me when I am posing for ANTM :)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 08:44:49 AM »
heck even my son likes them, though mainly Deuce in doll form, he likes the show more though lol.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 08:47:49 AM »
Usually when I am in the Monster High aisle, I will have to move over to let a little girl look. My next door neighbors have an 8-year-old girl, and the last time she was at my house she said to me "You're so lucky you have Monster High, my mom won't let me have any." I don't know if it's because she already collects Lalaloopsy or because her mother disapproves of the dolls, but I told her that if it's okay with her mother she can play with my monsters.

I think that some moms do disapprove of the dolls.  Once, I was in TRU looking at ponies (which were right across from MH) and I saw a little girl excited about the dolls.  Her Mom said in an incredulous voice "... you really like that?"

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 08:55:12 AM »
heck even my son likes them, though mainly Deuce in doll form, he likes the show more though lol.

My son has deuce and holt... We are working on getting him clawd and possibly Heath when he comes out... I think it's going to be great because my daughter wants abbey out of the pack and my son wants Heath... Works for me :)

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »
I'm in college right now and have no little siblings or relatives of that age group, so I can't say from actual experience since there aren't many kids in my life right now. But, I will agree that whenever I go to the Monster High section there is usually either a little girl or confused parents in it! One time I even saw a boy, about 9 or 10 years old, with an Abbey :) Could have been for his sister, but still yeah I see way more kids or parents buying the monsters than I see collectors. Actually, I haven't seen any Monster High collectors at all in person...as far as I know, I'm the only one crazy enough and everyone else in this forum is just a figment of my imagination :P
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:03:30 AM by Jocelyn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 09:07:47 AM »
...as far as I know, I'm the only one crazy enough and everyone else in this forum is just a figment of my imagination :P
LMAO!

You're not crazy we exist!!!!  I think....come to think of it, I wish I knew of other MH collectors in my area too...maybe we should start a thread stating where we all are...and that convention everyones talking about in the other thread might actually happen...

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »
...as far as I know, I'm the only one crazy enough and everyone else in this forum is just a figment of my imagination :P
LMAO!

You're not crazy we exist!!!!  I think....come to think of it, I wish I knew of other MH collectors in my area too...maybe we should start a thread stating where we all are...and that convention everyones talking about in the other thread might actually happen...

I'm "only" two to three hours apart from Fräulein_Kim (if she's not currently staying in Japan, lol!)
That's all I know. Such a thread would be really cool. If you're not going to make one, I will.

(Looking at you, European MH people. Show yourselves!  :cool:)

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »
I'm "only" two to three hours apart from Fräulein_Kim (if she's not currently staying in Japan, lol!)
That's all I know. Such a thread would be really cool. If you're not going to make one, I will.

(Looking at you, European MH people. Show yourselves!  :cool:)
I started a thread, but feel free to take it over! LOL I think its a great idea but am not fully prepared to "organize"

....we now return you to your formerly scheduled topic at hand...

Shahaila

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 09:47:43 AM »
You're not crazy we exist!!!!
Shhhhhhhhhhh ..... we are in her mind .....

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
my stepdaughter (9) and all her friends love MH....so I would say yes! lol I think the line is popular with kids and collectors alike

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
Between browsing toy aisles for my own collection, as well as previously working at a store that sold MH, I can safely say that children do like MH. I've even gotten into conversations with moms who are shopping (usually for their daughters) about the franchise; in general I find that most parents are okay with the line, even if they don't understand why their child would be into it. Of course, you also have the parents who don't like fashion dolls, or who don't like the concept of monsters; but I rarely hear a parent actually disparage the line. While I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment, I can respect a parent's decision to not let their child play with them.

But there also a ton of parents (including dads!) who think they're pretty neat and appreciate the level of detail. I know a lot of parents really like the "be unique, be yourself" aspect of the franchise. Several parents have commented that while the dolls might wear things they wouldn't let their kids wear, they feel that the focus isn't necessarily all about the image. One mom told me she loved the fact that Frankie was into sewing, and that it had inspired her daughter to become more interested in it herself. I had a father tell me that he thought it was cool that the dolls were so poseable and came with so many fun little items.

I think one of the most interesting aspects of the line is how it manages to intrigue a wide variety of ages and genders. Even though it's rare for me to see a little boy actually buying them, several parents have mentioned how their sons play with their sister's MH dolls. I know that even my bff's nephew will engage in conversation about the characters and watch the webisodes with his sister.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »
My niece (8) and her stepsister (10) love MH!

Refuse to Dance

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »
I know kids who love Monster High personally from age 8 and up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal