collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do Kids Like Monster High?  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Do Kids Like Monster High?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 01:11:54 PM »
I often see kids ogling the MH shelves too. Just a couple of days ago, I saw a little girl get a DC Howleen and hug it to her chest with glee as she went with her mom to the checkout. SO CUTE aaaaa. I bet that Howleen will be loved to death :biggrin: *melts*

I've also helped the occasional little girl to find the doll she was looking for. (I'm super shy, but I like doing that... they usually give me weird looks when they realize I know more than they do about the dolls, but still :blush:) I have overheard some MH-disparaging comments from parents, which is always frustrating, but it's their prerogative... just makes me sad for their disappointed kids. On the other hand there's people like the mom I saw buying the school playset and remarking on how awesome MH was and how her son played with them with her daughter, so that was fabulous and hooray! :D
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »
Between browsing toy aisles for my own collection, as well as previously working at a store that sold MH, I can safely say that children do like MH. I've even gotten into conversations with moms who are shopping (usually for their daughters) about the franchise; in general I find that most parents are okay with the line, even if they don't understand why their child would be into it. *snip*

But there also a ton of parents (including dads!) who think they're pretty neat and appreciate the level of detail. *snip*

I think one of the most interesting aspects of the line is how it manages to intrigue a wide variety of ages and genders. *snip*

ALL OF THIS.

Here in several different stores I have seen a wide variety of people buying MH! I try to strike up conversation with them if I can and usually they are moms buying some for their daughters. I was admiring Venus + Robecca when they first released and I had just seen them. The little girl had to pick just one and went with Venus. The mom loved all the little details and the daughter adored her bright colors and hair style.  It was such a cute little scene! :heart:

One mother was completely overwhelmed with her two daughters when they turned the corner and declared their adoration of the MH line, picking up everything and *ooo* *ahh*ing for several minutes. I usually step aside and let them have their fun!  It's really fun to see all the excitement over the dolls.  :happy:  She may have been tired and shocked that her girls liked them so much but didn't have anything bad to say   :satisfied:

I met another wonderful lady in Kmart! We stood and chatted for a bit as she looked at future presents for her child. She was trying to avoid purchasing more than one of each character except Ghoulia  :P she was a favorite! We also spoke about how amazing the shoes can be and clothing details.

As far as other collectors...I've only seen a few but had a lovely experience checking out at Target one day with powerghoul spectra! The cashier announced that she too collects the dolls for herself and we had a nice convo about favorite characters and if we debox or not, and how poor Ghoulia doesn't get many deluxe releases ;( .

All in all, children do seem to like them quite a bit! I always hear something along the lines of "Oooooo look at this one! "  Jinafire is also very popular   :lol:

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2013, 01:50:13 AM »
I love how this thread has grown since I last checked it! Several people mentioned how this line appeals to many different type of people and that is really true. I don't like dolls in general, I didn't play with them as a kid, except for Barbies, but as an adult barbie doesn't interest me in the slightest, not at all.

MH is the first doll line that has gauged my interest. I've also struck up a conversation with a couple of people over MH in stores, but I don't usually see kids looking at them. I think it's so cool what people have said fo both girls and boys liking Mh. It's probably mostly girls, but if boys are a target audience, they should definitely make more boy dolls!

JustHereForPictures

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2013, 02:03:18 AM »
I think part of the reason I love them (and part of the reason my mini cousins seem to like them as well) is that they move.

Apart from a couple of lines of Barbies, these are the only dolls for girls I've seen where the arms and legs do more than just go up and down or maybe out to the sides. Which just highlights the gender-targeted advertising because 'action figures' (read; dolls for boys) have articulated wrists, elbows, knees and feet.

And even though I'd like to see more pants for the MH ghouls they still have more outfits with pants than Barbie does.

The detail certainly helps. It's nice to see a doll with toes, or hands with separate fingers and faces which don't generally look exactly the same on every single doll. It's nice to see a variety of skin tones, hair colours and hair styles.

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2013, 02:52:03 AM »
they are popular here but only because they are popular if that makes since. most children i see only get them because they think they will be cool if they have them i rarely see a kid that even knows anything about them just that it monster high and everybody has them the parents around here shelter their kids while spoiling them basically "you can have whatever you want you just can't learn about anything" if they can afford them

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »
I love how this thread has grown since I last checked it! Several people mentioned how this line appeals to many different type of people and that is really true. I don't like dolls in general, I didn't play with them as a kid, except for Barbies, but as an adult barbie doesn't interest me in the slightest, not at all.

Same for me. But even Barbie wasn't of interest to me. I was a lot into her pets though, and needed humans to take care of them. That's why I had some :lol:
I guess the only time I was really craving a Barbie doll was when they first introduced a mermaid line that had her brunette friend in it. The brunette mermaid Barbie also came with a more elaborate costume and had some nice accs - she was therefore my favorite doll (pretty sure that was a big indicator that MH would one day appeal to me, haha).

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2013, 10:48:09 AM »
My older daughters are 7 and 8, and they are crazy about MH.  All their friends are as well.  Most of the conversations I have with other mothers revolve around Monster High!  Apparently, I'm the new info source (thank you Arena for making me the cool mom!!). 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2013, 01:06:04 PM »
OMG I SAW ONE!!!

For the first time EVER, I saw a kid with a MH doll. While at work today, I was on the register and a man comes up to check out with his daughter and son. While he was emptying out his basket, he said "Here, take your doll" to the little girl and handed her a Killer Style Draculaura! The little girl hugged Lala tight and it was totes adorable! I took a quick glance at the doll and she was in excellent condition, still had her outfit and accessories, the hair wasn't a wreck, and even the face-up was great!

It totally made my day to see a kid showing an interest in MH with my own eyes ^.^
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2013, 02:17:42 PM »
lol i find here kids LOVE monster high,  just today i blew a little girl's mind by getting down to her level and talking to her about them and she asked me why i had swim class venus and dance class lagoona in my cart, i told her they were for my collection and she was gobsmacked lol she was desperately clutching a scaris ghoulia, and i told her ghoulia was may favorite and she said she was hers too cause she's so smart and pretty and funny. the girls mom kinda perked up at the smart and funny and asked if i really collected the dolls and i said yeah and showed her a few pictures of my collection on my phone lol she was more surprised than her daughter lol i talked with em a for awhile and think i won the mom over to the fan side, at least she let her daughter get her first monster high doll, chalk one up to ghoulia :)
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

JustHereForPictures

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »
Scaris Ghoulia can be very insistent.

She's the entire reason I started collecting. Because I picked her up one day, thought she was pretty and brought her home.

Now I have 10 (with number 11 heading my way soon).

Offline Flutterswirl

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »
I do know some girls that like MH- the first inkling on one of them was when I ended up repairing her Frankie (little brothers, argh). We've bought MH for two others for Christmas, and one of them will be visiting my house with her mom for a customizing party sometime this summer.

Most of my personal doll shopping is done when the younglings are in school or after they're in bed, so I don't run into children on the toy aisles very often.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to *generalzoi\'s Pony Creator at dA for my avatar!

just visiting this planet! (Phl. 3:20)

Offline BlueChaos

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2013, 07:07:28 PM »
Indeed they do. My niece has liked Monster High ever since they came out. She has nearly every signature doll, plus most of the CaMs, and a great many of the slender box dolls. Every time a new doll comes out, she somehow cons me, her mom or her grandma into buying it for her.

elonni

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2013, 05:31:18 AM »
Just passed by my nearby toy store to check if they had anything new (since what, yesterday :)) and I spotted this time a girl and her mother checking out MH dolls. I could not follow the discussion since they were Russian, but clearly the girl with sig Clawdeen in her hands was trying to convince her mom to take her. They had a lengthy discussion that lasted many minutes and I admit that I stood nearby cheering for the girl to win the and take home her prized doll. Which she finally did, and I must say I was really happy for her.

I am glad I am past the age when I have to convince my parents to buy me things!

jeapos88

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2013, 07:41:46 AM »
I've actually never encountered kids looking at them, actually i've only seen a few adults, one was buying for her granddaughter, and just kept saying how ugly they were and didn't see the appeal in them.

I also never played with barbie as a kid, the only ones I ever bought were when they made the pregnant barbie, which didn't last very long ^.^

Melissa

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2013, 08:10:36 AM »
I am glad I am past the age when I have to convince my parents to buy me things!
For me, I've gone from convincing my parents to buy me things to justifying to my fiance why I "need" to get something- we are on a budget but there is wiggle room for hobby stuff, but it is just getting a new doll vs. going to a movie or something, which work out to roughly the same prices.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal