collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do Kids Like Monster High?  (Read 3647 times)

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Do Kids Like Monster High?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 10:47:48 AM »
I am really new to Monster High and I've always thought they were really cool.  Last night I started watching the shorts on youtube, and as the videos were streaming through the channel, a lot of reviews done by kids popped up and I thought it was great! 

Just a side note: my boyfriend watched a few episodes with me and told me I have to get Abbey and Lagoona haha!

Bubbleyum

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 10:48:59 AM »
I don't know any kids who like them, actually, though one time while I was going to hunt for a doll, I spotted a little girl and her father at the Monster High section. That was the only time, though. Usually it's empty! However, I thoroughly believe there are children out there who love the dolls. :)

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 10:54:34 AM »
I rarely see kids looking at the three toy lines-MH, MLP, & Lalaloopsy-- I shop for at Target, Walmart, TRU.  I never see kids or bronies (lol) looking at ponies.  But occasionally I see kids looking at MH and Lalaloopsy.  Usually its adults looking at MH and putting several dolls in their cart.

animal_lover

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 11:08:35 AM »
The best is when you go to the register with dolls in hand and the cashier asks if you'd like a gift receipt. And you say "no thanks. They're for me." And the cashier gives you a strange look. I always get a kick out of that.

Or this one time when I was in Walmart looking through the dolls and there were 2 moms also in the aisle looking for dolls for their kids for Easter. They started talking saying "yea I have a daughter who's 12 and really into monster high." And "oh I have a daughter who's 5 and really likes them." Then I say "yea I'm 25 and I collect monster high."

They just looked at me and started laughing.   :lol:

Refuse to Dance

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 11:17:24 AM »
I never say that I collect them in store. I usually just get one or two then ask for a gift receipt, for that reason. Only some adults know I have them. And they are ones who approve.

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
The best is when you go to the register with dolls in hand and the cashier asks if you'd like a gift receipt. And you say "no thanks. They're for me." And the cashier gives you a strange look. I always get a kick out of that.

Or this one time when I was in Walmart looking through the dolls and there were 2 moms also in the aisle looking for dolls for their kids for Easter. They started talking saying "yea I have a daughter who's 12 and really into monster high." And "oh I have a daughter who's 5 and really likes them." Then I say "yea I'm 25 and I collect monster high."

Haha!  I don't get strange looks too much in the toy asile.  I'm almost 30 but I literally look like I'm 18, so no one asks me if I have kids lol.

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 11:34:19 AM »
I've never seen a kid in the MH aisle :blink: And I've only ever seen three adults, women, in the aisle, one of which was shopping for herself and another was a BJD collector looking at them for the first time. But considering that the MH sections at Walmart and Target are pretty empty most of the time, I'm hopeful that there are other collectors and kids that like them :)
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Refuse to Dance

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »
Any time I go out there are always kids in the MH aisles wanting dolls.

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 11:42:03 AM »

Haha!  I don't get strange looks too much in the toy asile.  I'm almost 30 but I literally look like I'm 18, so no one asks me if I have kids lol.

I love that reaction... Some one asked me if I collected then the other day in store and I showed them a picture of my dolls... And they were like "Dang! You could open a store!!" Lol... I said yep I probably could...

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 11:49:41 AM »
Well if last year's Black Friday was any indication I would definitely say kids like Monster High. I heard tons of parents reciting their children's Christmas lists and trying to figure out which doll was which. I saw a lot of carts full of one of each doll from Ghoul's Rule and the at the time limited Scaris dolls. I think some people thought I worked at TRU because I was helping so many parents find what they were looking for on the shelves as well as the door busters which weren't in the doll section but in a bin in a completely different section of the store. I was just looking at the new releases and parents kept coming up and just acting so confused.

I actually had a funny conversation with a mom who couldn't figure out which dolls were which so I showed her where the names were on the box and helped her find the door buster Frankie. then she was so funny because she was debating why her daughter wanted Frankie. She ended up getting her daughter the door buster Frankie and also a DDG Spectra because the mom insisted that Spectra was the prettiest one on the shelf.

But that was over Thanksgiving while I was visiting my hometown. Here where I live now, I sometimes see tweens looking at the Monster High sections but the parents always seem resistant to buying the dolls. I've seen several girls showing their moms which ones they want but then they end up leaving the aisle without a doll. Although maybe the moms are just storing that information for future birthday gifts or something like that.
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Melissa

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 11:51:59 AM »
I rarely see kids looking at the three toy lines-MH, MLP, & Lalaloopsy-- I shop for at Target, Walmart, TRU.  I never see kids or bronies (lol) looking at ponies.  But occasionally I see kids looking at MH and Lalaloopsy.  Usually its adults looking at MH and putting several dolls in their cart.
I see kids looking at MLP all the time. And almost everywhere I go, I spot kids with MLP gear. When I was getting my puppy, there was a 2-year-old girl in the pet store who had on a Pinkie Pie backpack and I was like "I love Pinkie Pie, she's my favorite!" and the girls parents were like "Her favorite is actually Sweetie Belle but there is no Sweetie Belle stuff anywhere!"

Now Lalaloopsy, I wouldn't even have a clue if not for the kids next door. I had seen them, obviously, but never paid much attention (the button eyes freak me out). The parents are very cool and both the 5-year-old boy and 8-year-old girl love Lalaloopsy. The boy was a Lalaloopsy doll for Halloween (his sister was Lucille Ball- awesome family).

animal_lover

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »

I love that reaction... Some one asked me if I collected then the other day in store and I showed them a picture of my dolls... And they were like "Dang! You could open a store!!" Lol... I said yep I probably could...

So do I! I think it's hilarious! Lol

Shahaila

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 12:00:21 PM »
My husband and on of my friends don't get my interest in the dolls, but the hubby is tolerant and agrees to give me dolls as gifts if it is what I really want (he took me to get Ghoulia with Scooter for my b-day), and my friend will also get me one for a gift if it makes me happy.  My Sister-in-law and parents have no clue I collect, none of them would give me dolls on purpose that is for sure.  I have a couple of friends that I think would really like to collect the dolls but they sort of live vicariously through their daughters dolls (I gave one of them a doll for her b-day and plan to do the same for the other LOL), and well Faunabay who is a very close friend of mine, she and I enable and give each other MH dolls and things every chance we get LOL.

I think it is healthy to let our inner child remain alive and well, it keeps us young and can help us make it thorugh rough times.  The MH dolls do that for me.  Yes they are simple plastic dollies, but they are beautiful, and seem to have a way of sparking people's creativity as well which is also healthy.

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 12:23:13 PM »
oh LORD yes. I turned on my 6-year-old neighbor to them and she's almost as obsessed as I am. I see lots of kids drooling in the toy aisles when I shop... watching jealously as I take home dollies... which makes me feel a bit guilty!

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 12:29:26 PM »
oh LORD yes. I turned on my 6-year-old neighbor to them and she's almost as obsessed as I am. I see lots of kids drooling in the toy aisles when I shop... watching jealously as I take home dollies... which makes me feel a bit guilty!

I must be a terrible person then... When I was buying my first Monster Highs I felt good picking up what I wanted while tired moms were dragging their screaming kids away from the toys.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal