collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why factory curls?  (Read 2562 times)

Glitzy Gems

• Trade Count: (0)
Why factory curls?
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:37:02 PM »
*crawls out from a pile of thrown fakies*

What's the deal with factory curls? Why are they a make or break with so many collectors?
I always get the urge to brush the curls from a pony's hair because they always look frizzy to me :(

I'd like to know your stance on factory curl, and see pictures of good examples! Educate me please!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why factory curls?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 12:11:18 AM »
I've always thought that the appeal has to do with the fact that if something is factory-fresh, then that's an aspect of it that is mint.

Though I honestly agree with you- I like ponies with straight hair or the fan-made hairdos that people put a lot of time into. Natural curls are alright if the hair is still in shape, but there's just something about ponies being a labor of love that I have always romanticised. :lovey:

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
I honestly prefer my ponies with straight hair too, there is just something about being nice and straight and not worrying about messing up the curls. Not to mention, like you said, they have a tendency to get real frizzy and tangled.

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 02:10:46 AM »
Nope, for ponies that are supposed to have curly hair, I like factory curls, personally.  Especially ponies with banana curls, like Goldilocks, Candy Canes, and Rainbow Curls.  You just can't really replicate factory curl, though some people can do a pretty good recurling job.  What difference does it make?  *shrug*  I dunno, I guess I just like for all my ponies to look NM, like they've never needed restoration.  I basically want my whole collection to look like they could ALL have been my childhood ponies, and I was very gentle with mine.  All my curly childhood ponies still have factory curl (though some more than others).  I have a few decarded ponies that have never been brushed at all.  I'd actually rather have them decarded than MOC.  Why?  Again, I guess I just want them all to look like they could have been my childhood ponies.

For comparison, here's a nice Dancing Butterflies I recently bought.  I already have a nice one back home, but I think this one is even nicer.  The new one has factory curls that have hardly been combed at all.  And since she came with her comb too and wasn't that expensive, I decided to get a slight upgrade.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-MLP-My-Little-Pony-Dancing-Butterflies-/251239128716?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=JmfW7%252FzjiC%252B2CL3yKP6ieTM%252BRvw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 05:21:38 AM »
I love hte factory curl! :) although usually it's not a deal breaker for me if a pony no longer has it, I just consider it a plus if they do. But there are some ponies where I really want the factory curl, pretty much the same as Kelly mentioned.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

nollilols

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 05:37:55 AM »
I don't get it either, I wouldn't know factory curl on a pony if she told me herself it was!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:32:18 AM »
I love factory curls.  They just look like the ponies did when I first opened up as a kid.  So I guess it is all about nostalgia for me.  Plus I like the look that the factory creates that you can't replicate.

Ironically, as a kid I wanted to straighten all of my dolls and ponies hair.  I hated curls.  I wish I didn't do this to them now.  My very first porcelain doll had beautiful boing boing curls and I tried to straighten them out.  Now her hair is a bit of a mess.  Although I wouldn't change her back now.

I should also say that I like other versions of pony hair such as re-stying with straw curls or straightening.  I have several Sugarberrys because each one looks different.  But if I only have one pony, I want her to be like she was originally made. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 06:38:10 AM »
Factory curls are beautiful and add to the "mint" look of a pony (assuming it's in nice condition, of course).  Messy curls can often be salvaged with some work.

I'm talking about G1s here . . . With G3s that plastic thing in their hair makes their hair messy whether they have straight or curly hair!  Although I did have a Chocolate Chipper who developed really gorgeous, shiny curls all on her own. 
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 08:26:22 AM »
If a pony is supposed to have curls I want curls in it - factory is better but I don't mind recurled hair either.

and for some eye candy on the subject

Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »
I LOVE factory curl! Even if it's frizzy, I still love it. I think the Teeny Tiny newborns look so cute with curls :)
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 08:46:40 AM »
Ultimately for me, it's all about the pony. I like straight hair on most ponies, but there are some sets that really just need curls. Like the Candy Cane ponies. They really need their curls. Although, I don't much care if they are factory curls or collector made curls. So long as the curls are there. lol

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »
I can take messy factory curls and push them back into place, love them as they CAN look beautiful and lovely! and not like a frizzy mess.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »
Those are gorgeous, FantasticFirefly!  I need to learn how to do that.  I have plenty of factory curls that look terrible because I knew I couldn't just run a brush through them as a child.  But I don't know how to restore them either.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »
I love ponies who have stayed as original as possible, and factory curls count towards that. So I don't take factory curl out (if it's not inevitable), but also if the curls have disappeared over time I might not recurl if the pony looks nicer with straight hair. :)

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline zora

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 10:33:58 AM »
hate them :P
Former Nirvana and BigBro Collector

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal