collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why factory curls?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why factory curls?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2013, 06:07:42 PM »
I like how they bring you back... I didn't think  much about it until I saw a Sparkler with Factory curls... I loved her hair when I first got her as a kid, she's down to a wave now so I can see the appeal of seeing/having something that is like it was fresh off the card!

This!  I just loved the curl in Sparkler's hair when I got her as a kid.  I was crushed when I played with her in water and her hair went straight!

I don't mind recurled either, especially with ringlet curls, but there's something about neat factory curls that is just special.

Elf

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2013, 08:48:51 PM »
*crawls out from a pile of thrown fakies*

What's the deal with factory curls? Why are they a make or break with so many collectors?

This question would be similar to a collector asking what is the deal with so many FIM fans wanting ponies hair to be exactly like what they see on the cartoon? It's no different from someone calling a FIM pony with a hair cut show accurate.

The difference is, most people that collect things, want the toy/item to be as close to what it was when it was 'new'. It's no different from someone wanting a MIB or MIP pony.  My Little Pony is not the only toy out there people collect and a vast majority of people who do collect things tend to want them to look new, or MIB or as close to it as they can get.

So most collectors would want factory curl because that is what the ponies hair was styled with when it would have been purchased new.

In fact some of the sets, that was part of they're selling point, that they had these awesome big pretty curls. That is what made the set special.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Glitzy Gems

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2013, 11:54:26 PM »

WELP
sorry for ever posting this hahahahaaaaaaaa

someone delete this.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »
Why?  It's a great discussion!  And we all learned something new.  :)  That's WHY we have the Arena as a collector's resource.  Someone may ask that question again and we can point them this way.  :)
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Glitzy Gems

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2013, 12:24:13 AM »
Why?  It's a great discussion!  And we all learned something new.  :)  That's WHY we have the Arena as a collector's resource.  Someone may ask that question again and we can point them this way.  :)

Because I feel like I've antagonized others and came across as belligerent, I suppose
I dont want people to feel attacked because of a preference of mine

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2013, 05:31:25 AM »
Its a personal preference and everyone is allowed to have their own opinion - I dont think you should feel as though you have antagonised anyone. You asked a more than valid question and people have given their answers on both sides.

Think of it like this...I dont understand the need for show accurate hair styles and I think its odd that its so important to some, but I wouldnt expect anyone to judge me for that opinion and I respect that for some people it is very important to them. The same is simply true in the other direction - you dont understand the desire for factory curls, thats no problem, thats your collection and your call and I dont think your post is disrespecting people who do...its just asking people why they like it or why its important.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline U2QueenBee

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2013, 05:38:07 AM »
For me it all depends on how the hair looks when I get it out of the package.  Some of them the hair is partly curled, partly straight, or has funny 'bends' in it from where the plastic held it in place.  Or, I decide that I prefer them with a part or a fringe/bangs which they didn't come with.  For those, they generally get washed in hot water and left to dry mainly straight (though they often develop a bit of a turn-up at the ends from the hair being longer than their legs.)  For others, they come out of the package with a really nice curly or style and I try to preserve that.  My Silver Song came out of the box with the most amazing curls and waves - her tail was like a perfect big wave ending in a ringlet - and I made sure not to mess with that at all!  I find curls harder to replicate than straightening so if I get a good one I try to keep it, basically, because I can always straighten later if I change my mind.  I like to have my ponies with a mix of styles, generally so it works out well.

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »
I agree with hathorcat. I have fairly strong preferences about factory curls, but I'm not feeling antagonized.  :)
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
I didn't feel antagonized. It was an interesting question.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal