collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So when do you stop collecting?  (Read 2834 times)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
Re: So when do you stop collecting?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »
I collect within my limitations.
-space
-money
-time

Some collections (non g1 ponies, other toys I like) I have the container rule. If it fits in the box I have for that collection, it can stay. if it doesn't I either have to get rid of something else, or not buy that item.

G1's I've turned into a bit of a completionist. Ponies, playsets, accessories, MIB/MOC I love it all. I don't know if I will ever consider the collection "finished" there will always be a small piece I'm missing, or a pony to upgrade, or some kind of cool merch I haven't seen before or a moc I'd like. In the next house the g1's are going to need a HUGE amount of space to display. so for everything else, Other generations of ponies, G1 varients I really have to limit to only buying and keeping stuff I really love. :)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 12:14:48 PM »
What is this stop collecting you speak of?

:silly:
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
So when do you stop collecting?
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »
I'm also a multi-generation collector (everything but 3.5) and my want list is always increasing. Just added a few names last night actually. I figure as long as I still have the interest, still have the money, and still get the enjoyment out of my collection then it's all good. If it ever seems like a chore though, that's the time to think about quitting.

Elf

Offline DannyAzazel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 01:33:49 PM »
I'll stop collecting when I either run out of room, or no longer feel like it. Which could be in a year or it could be in 50 years. Heck it could be never. My want list right now consists of small items (Ponyville and Blind Bags) but I'm sure when I have more space that it will change.

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 02:05:05 PM »
I tend to be very narrow in my collecting. I think it's something left over from my days of collecting pokemon where people tended to focus on a few pokemon lines or types because trying to collect all of the pokemon merch ever would be ludicrous (not that there weren't a few collectors who did). It's not that way with MLP, where people really do want to collect the whole series, and then some of they continue on with other gens and nirvanas.

As much as I wish I could, I can't force myself into that mindset. Right now I'm working to complete my collection of stallions and G3 art/convention ponies, both of which will take me a very long time to collect because of cost. I will continue to collect G4s so long as they keep making Rarity (and they will :P she is in the mane six, after all), and unique brushables with designs I like (this is becoming more of a scarcity). If I ever complete those collections and Hasbro moves on to G5, I'll probably stop collecting altogether unless I'm magically granted more space to start focus on another set.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »
Depends mostly on what i a) see and or like b) have acess too and c) can afford.
my whole collection now..f rom g4s-g1s has not cost me a lot.. i found most of my g4s at dollar stores so only paid sometimes five sometimes less for them. and wally world has gone and dropped regular pony price to 4.00 fyi.
so they are not terribly expensive.
If is ee something i want on ebay or etsy it has to be a REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY good deal or i wont get it.
i have a mess of g3's because i keep finding lots of them for super cheep.
so it mostly depends.. sometimes i dont for a long time
sometimes i do.
sometimes my interests shift.
right now im merely happy after all my life has been lately to at least still posess the sanity to want to collect ponies and or anything else for that matter.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 03:40:33 PM »
It comes and goes depending on my finances. When the G3's were all the Core 7 crap, I never even looked in the toy section. I really wish they would relase new itesm. The mane 6 things is the G3 core 7 all over again. If you are going to keep releasing them they could at least of made the crystal empire versions LOOK like they did in the show. They made G1 glittery ponies, i'm sure they can do it for G4 as well

I've been a collector for over 12 years, I doubt I will ever really leave ponies.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:42:54 PM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 03:42:42 PM »
When I have every pony I want! :D   However, I'm always trying to figure exactly what my want list is. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 04:03:39 PM »
I stopped collecting when I got tired of them. Also, the g4 line threw me off. After the g3s all went away, I stopped.

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline naylastar

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
Knowing me, I will stop collecting when I get tired of ponies. I've gotten bored and stopped every hobby I've ever had. This one is still growing strong though.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »
I had a time as a kid when I stopped collecting horses and ponies... then got back to it when I became an adult.. however right now I'm losing the love for collecting G4... I still look for my main love though... finding baity G1s and attempting to restore them :D
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »
My relationships with ponies tends to come and go. I'll collect hardcore for a couple of years then maybe take a two year break. I'm getting burned on ponies right now. The release of the G4 ponies made me super into pony collecting again. Now that it has become like the previous Bore 7, I am starting to give up on the line. It's been forever since I actually bought a G4. I seriously don't need anymore Pinkies or Fluttershys.
What I'm really into now is Monster High. They have reissues but they tend to actually make them unique. If hasbro is gonna reissue the same characters over and over they need to get a little more creative instead of being so lazy.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 05:44:04 PM »
I'll most likely never stop collecting. I collect mainly G1 with some G3 and I keep my collections pretty small ( as in, under 200 ponies at any one time) so I will always have so much choice :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 07:46:24 PM »
I'm sure I'll eventually stop collecting. G4 won't last forever, or Hasbro will change something drastically and I might not like it and lose interest. My wishlist is getting shorter because I'm not seeing a whole lot of new stuff coming out. I might stop collecting blindbags because they are expensive to get a whole wave.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 07:49:11 PM »
Ha! Lack of space seems to be my greatest adversary as well! Money, yes... but such things can be overcome. But room to store such ponies is a much more physical obstacle. I find myself bargaining with myself in order to allow myself more pony purchases! XD
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal