collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So when do you stop collecting?  (Read 2835 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
So when do you stop collecting?
« on: March 02, 2013, 05:48:32 AM »
I recently was talking to a friend of mine asking her if she saw the recent info of what will become FiM, and she told me she lost interest in both the toys and the show (because what became of Twilight Sparkle)

I don't blame her... I pretty much stopped collecting the toys when it was all Main 6 ponies... over and over and over again... I'm also starting to become meh about collecting the toys for FiM already stopped with the blind bags and pretty much stopped with the toys as a whole.. I think the last one I will buy will be Sunset shimmer when she comes out..

What about you guys? When do you decide you just had enough?
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline sparkleset80

• Trade Count: (+178)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: So when do you stop collecting?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:57:40 AM »
That's a good question... I don't have know when or if I ever will. I'm mostly a G1 collector. But I'm getting to the point where it's getting harder and harder for me to find or even pay for the rest of the things I'm wanting to get. My goal if possible would be to get every US pony/playset and track down all their accessories. So I could be doing this for the rest of my life!  :biggrin:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:03:19 AM »
I won't stop collecting G1, G2, and G3 but I haven't bought any recently due to lack of space
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:24:19 AM »
If at some point I have to choose between buying food and ponies, I think I may have a problem and need to stop collecting.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Destiny

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:47:02 AM »
I will stop collecting when I have everything on my wishlist and no new ponies will be released. My wishlist haven't changed since it was first made (some ten years ago or so), except for a veeeeeeeeery few ponies I've fallen in love with after seeing them irl and when G3 and G4 was created, so I'm pretty certain that when I have everything currently on my wishlist, then that will be IT.

I fear however that it will take me a lifetime to get them or worse.. I won't ever get them all. I currently can't afford buying ponies and since I will most likely be studying for a couple of years ahead, it will be a while before I can buy anything again. I'm super worried that some of the things I want won't be available by then or to expensive for me to get.
Apple sauce!!

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 06:54:19 AM »
I collect G1, G2, G3, and G4 (not 3.5). I don't know how far I'll follow the G4 line, probably as long as they make different characters in the brushable/playful pony line because I really only need one of each character. Like you, I'm not into endless variations of the Mane 6. I'd really love to see them make more new characters, but if they only make a few, then I'll get the few that they make. Haven't started with blind bags and don't plan to.

With the other generations, there are some ponies I definitely still want, those are in my want list. Then there are those that I don't want. Sometimes when my want list starts to get short, I start wanting ponies I didn't want before :lol:. So as long as getting ponies in the mail still excites me, I'll probably collect the older gens. If it ever gets to a point where I'm like "eh, another pony for the shelf," that's probably a sign to stop.

Also, there are some Nirvanas out there I'd love to own but even if I ever got the chance, I don't know if I could justify the cost to myself. To each their own, but I don't know if I'd feel entirely comfortable paying $800 for one pony, even if she is Greek Ladybird.
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:03:25 AM »
I'm mostly a G1 and nirvana collector. I do collect the G3's that appeal to me and the G4 brushables. I don't care for blind bags and I only want one of each of the mane 6. So any new mane 6 that come out I'm not going to buy. I think the G1's will keep me busy for a very longggg time.
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 08:16:43 AM »
I also mainly collect G1s. though there are other generations like g3 and g4 to keep me occupied. I don't think I shall see a end anytime soon. If I couldn't put a pony on the shelf its one that will go in storage until I can find more room for them. There is always a pony that captures my interest in any g1, g3 or g4 line. So I am pretty much set for life trying to find them all.

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:37:31 AM »
When it comes to my collection in general, I don't want to exceed over 200 regular sized ponies due to space. I'll keep collecting G4 if more non mane 6 brushables come out; I actually find it easier than hunting down G1-3 sometimes, because in G4 there's only a few new ponies per year to look out for. That being said, once I get this year's collector's set I may shift my interests over to G1 and collect them for a while. They're bigger, nicer, and there's something about taking in baity, unwanted, 20+ year old ponies and giving them a home that leaves me really fulfilled. ^.^

Sokkis

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 08:46:33 AM »
I'll stop collecting when I feel to. So maybe never or maybe in few years, who knows? Until that I keep it up, cause with G1 and G2 there are allways ponies that I don't have. :)

Moonracer

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 09:36:13 AM »
Depends on if I'll still have the enthusiasm and determination to do so: so far it's still strong and kickin' and it doesn't seem like it's going to end any time soon. Of course my goal is to complete the US and Euro releases of G1 and G2 (with G1 being the top priority). After that I think I might stop collecting. Initially I wanted to collect G3s as well since they look kind of cute, but I don't think they're that interesting for me to collect.

When it comes to nirvanas, I think the only ones that I might want to have are the ones released in Europe (German, Italian, NC etc.), since these aren't really as uncommon here as they are in the US (ever since I started to collect ponies again I managed to come across a bunch of Italians, a few NCs and even a Dutchie, and I got them all real cheap). The other ones... I think I'll pass: the ones like the Argies and Brazilians are nice, but they're waaaay beyond what I can afford... :P

And that's pretty much it.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »
Hmmmm...  I purge before I have to think about this!  Then I have to collect them all again.  :D
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »
Hmmmm . . . I mainly collect G1s too. Until they release something new and interesting for the G4s I've pretty much got what I want of those. (There is one blind bag that keeps slipping away from me. Once I've got her, though, I'll have all the bb I want.) As for G1s, when I've gotten everything on my list, I'll probably be ready to stop. Except . . . I keep adding ponies to my list!

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 10:23:57 AM »
If at some point I have to choose between buying food and ponies, I think I may have a problem and need to stop collecting.

This. Despite thinking "oh, I'm nearly at the end of my G1 collection" there is always something new that I want. I am a much slower collector now as I'm focusing my money elsewhere and most of the G1s I want are pricey now, but I'm still always keeping an eye out.

I should add that I also collect G2s (recently formally wrote that want list!), G3s and G4s as well!

Offline windsong

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Right now, I haven't been doing any active collecting. I got a few blind bags recently, but that was it. I haven't completely given up on collecting them though. I still have a few I want, I just have put pony collecting on the back burner. I still love ponies. :) I don't think I'll completely stop collecting, it'll just be few and far between.

~ My Etsy Shop ~ Arena Sales ~ Wants ~ My Book Blog ~ TY Badjuju86 4 avatar  :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal