collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8  (Read 1951 times)

flutterwry

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »
I am on the verge of purchasing a new computer because my 4 year-old HP is dying.  The screen has gone out for the 3rd time since I have owned it.
Allow me the rather silly question, but... is this a laptop or a desktop PC?
If it is a desktop, it seems to me like replacing the screen should do - or maybe the graphics board... If it is a laptop, I wonder if maybe only the cable between screen and mainboard is loose. But diagnosing computer problems overseas is not exactly the easiest thing, so I could be totally wrong.

I'm not familiar with these days' Windows licensing policies, my last Windows machine ran on 2000 - so I wonder if it is possible to install Win7 on the new computer and just continue on using your current license?

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 03:47:23 AM »
Unfortunately rolling back isn't as easy as it used to be... I have an IT friend that did it herself... but otherwise, she didn't recommend the hassle... She told me to just get one built with win 7, it's easier, apparently!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 06:30:08 AM »
I am on the verge of purchasing a new computer because my 4 year-old HP is dying.  The screen has gone out for the 3rd time since I have owned it.
Allow me the rather silly question, but... is this a laptop or a desktop PC?
If it is a desktop, it seems to me like replacing the screen should do - or maybe the graphics board... If it is a laptop, I wonder if maybe only the cable between screen and mainboard is loose. But diagnosing computer problems overseas is not exactly the easiest thing, so I could be totally wrong.

I'm not familiar with these days' Windows licensing policies, my last Windows machine ran on 2000 - so I wonder if it is possible to install Win7 on the new computer and just continue on using your current license?

It is a laptop.  This is the 3rd time that the screen has gone out.  It has something to do with the back light because you can vaguely see the stuff on the screen (sometimes) but it is very very dark.  I do have my discs for Windows 7 because I got a free upgrade when I was doing my master's degree because they wanted everyone running the newest versions of Microsoft's OS and Office Suite for the program.  If worst comes to worst, I probably could do that with the help of my old boss from working at the computer lab in college.  The only thing is I don't know if it would work because the computer I want is a 64-bit and my Windows 7 is for 32-bit.

I did play around with Windows 8 at the store yesterday and it is a little confusing I will admit.  I didn't think it was as horrible as I thought it would be though.  The other thing is, most of the computers that have Windows 7 are only 4GB Ram and 500GB Hard drive and the one we want is a 6GB with 750GB Hard drive.  Me and my husband will be sharing it even though it will be mostly mine due to school work and he does a lot of hunting photography and video making that takes up a lot of memory. 

The computer I have now is still usable to a certain extent because we have a TV with HDMI capability that I can use as the screen when I need to (on it right now).  I don't know, I think I just may have to bite the bullet and learn Windows 8.  I have had lots of issues with the hardware on my current computer and don't really want to deal with the hassle anymore if I don't have to.  Guess just have to talk to hubby; if it is just a loose cord then it could be fixed hopefully inexpensively.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 03:34:02 PM »
Everyone I know HATES windows 8.

Windows 7 took me long enough to get used to now there's 8 which is completely different. The best one IMO was XP. Not sure why windows feel the need to change their operating system all the damn time. It drives me nuts.

I've gone over to Apple products now. I have an iPad and I'm going to be getting a MacBook Air soon.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

flutterwry

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 05:59:03 AM »
It is a laptop.  This is the 3rd time that the screen has gone out.  It has something to do with the back light because you can vaguely see the stuff on the screen (sometimes) but it is very very dark.
Aww shoot... >_<
The only thing is I don't know if it would work because the computer I want is a 64-bit and my Windows 7 is for 32-bit.
Phew, good question. It may work, but might not be able to address all the ressources (RAM-wise for example) you have. If I remember correctly, it won't recognize more than 4 GB of RAM...

I've gone over to Apple products now. I have an iPad and I'm going to be getting a MacBook Air soon.
There are worse decisions in this world. ;) I switched to Mac in 2006, and I doubt in the nearest future I'll become a windows user again. My current Macbook Pro will celebrate its 4th birthday this summer, my husband's MacBook is even older - but they still work like a charm. I just may need some more disk space some day...

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 06:01:32 AM »
Windows 8 is ideal for tablets due to its touchscreen capability. Windows 7 is better for the more technical users. To be honest, since I am a gamer and run many different types of programs, I wouldn't even touch Windows 8.
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline garnetfirebird

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 06:15:28 AM »
Windows 8 was designed for the Surface and is very visual and app-driven like the iPad. Like others have said, it was designed for touch screens so a lot of the better features are lost on a normal laptop. Microsoft sees tablets as the future of computing and they're probably right.

That being said, my 58-year-old, tech-challenged father just got a laptop with Windows 8 and has yet to smash it to bits. He's actually found the learning curve to be not that bad. It's definitely different from the Windows 7 you're used to but it's manageable.

If the laptop you really want has Windows 8, just go for it. If there's a Windows 7 model that makes you equally satisfied then buy that one. Everyone hated Vista when that OS came out too. Yeah it wasn't as good as XP, but I got used to it. Any glitches were repaired when service pack 2 was released. Brand new operating systems take time to get used to. By the time Windows 9 rolls around we'll all be fine with Windows 8.

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 07:33:06 AM »
Actually, it is quite easy to downgrade to Windows 7 if you're willing to spend money on the installation disc and spend some time hunting down drivers online.

Personally tho, I agree with most of the others here in that Windows 8's Metro UI is unintuitive for those stuck with a mouse. Heck, even those with older one-or-two point touch screens will not be able to use it correctly. I have an Acer T230H touchscreen, and Windows 8 is a nightmare to use even on it because some of the more important gestures requires three or more fingers.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

sarafina

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »
I really dislike Windows 8...we had been using a desktop with XP on it until we recently purchased an HP with Win8, and it has caused so much grief.  I only use it in desktop mode, but even then, the organization is odd.  Not only that, but "Windows Update" is a pretty necessary program - and mine didn't work from the get-go.  It took forever trying to find a way to download the Windows Update items manually, and in order to use my older HP printer, I needed Update to work.  Fortunately, the manual updates seem to have fixed the problem.  That being said, I do get the blue screen of death almost once a day for no apparent reason.

berylliumpone

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 03:50:09 PM »
One annoying thing with Windows 8 is the "app" system... :/

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 06:42:29 PM »
The knee-jerk reaction is to rail against Windows 8. Out of the box it looks really, really wonky. It was designed for mobile devices, tablets, things with touch screens. It's not unintuitive with a mouse and keyboard, but it obviously wasn't made for it. None of that's really an issue because you can make it look and behave like Windows 7. Just google 'make windows 8 look like windows 7', and you'll be fine.

I don't buy or install operating systems in their first iterations. There are always kinks to be worked out, things that are rough around the edges. I wait for the developers to fix those problems, when the first service pack comes out, before I upgrade.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 07:20:47 PM »
There's actually a few versions of "Windows 8" - Windows 8, Windows Surface, Windows Pro and Windows Surface RT.  Microsoft has been great about marketing Windows 8 as a cool new OS, but they haven't been so great about educating the public on it's different versions and which one is best suited for your particular device.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Cron Sacchariferous

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »
Ekkk.. Neither! xD I prefer to try Linux or Ubuntu in the very near future, just waiting for a better computer with more ram. For right now, I bought my comp with win7 in it, I don't mind it but it can be a huge blunder with the big corp mindset. I believe that if you have a wonderful idea innovative enough to want to share it with the world, it should be open sourced! Also, spending close to almost a grand on windows programs like word, is horrendous which is why I use Open Office. Not to mention, all the excess crap that comes along with the operating system and those updates... eh, I could do without them.

Offline clones_rebellion

• Evil Swap Queen
  • Trade Count: (+422)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »
I just had to upgrade my 4 year old hp with XP on it. The only thing I *Could* find to buy were laptops with Windows 8 on them. I AM NOT liking it!!!! Why do I have to create an account to play solitaire? SERIOUSLY!? I am a bit old fashioned when it comes to my computer. I'm not a gamer, I don't use social networks, I don't use apps. If I did, this computer would be awesome, since it has a touch screen. I have had the new laptop for about a month and I've barely used it. I haven't even transferred over *ANY* of my pics, music, word document, NOTHING. When I bought this.... this... thing at Staples they did offer a free 30min tutorial on Win8. I'm going to have to take them up on since. I'm just not getting it! :rant:

~My Wishlist!~ Thank you Moonbreeze for my Atlas and Bastet siggy!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal