collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8  (Read 1960 times)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Windows 7 vs. Windows 8
« on: February 14, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »
I am on the verge of purchasing a new computer because my 4 year-old HP is dying.  The screen has gone out for the 3rd time since I have owned it.  I am looking at new computers and am used to Windows 7 and have no experience with Windows 8.  I have read reviews though and it seems many people hate Windows 8.  Usually, I always just get the newest version and have always gotten along fine if not very well.  So, I am wondering does anyone have Windows 8 and what do you think of it?  Do you hate it, like it, ambivalent?  I usually just assume a new operating system has some getting used to anyway but don't want to absolutely hate it when I could have gotten one with Windows 7 on it instead.

I have had Windows XP through Windows 7 on all of my personal laptops and the only one that I saw a marked improvement versus fail was moving away from Windows Vista (liked XP and 7 better).  So for that reason I wondering what people think because I don't want another Vista experience.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 02:16:11 PM »
Not a clue but I'd like to hear thoughts too.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »
I haven't really used (just minor playing on the demo models), but neither hubby or I are impressed with it, and I haven't really heard of anyone that likes it.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 03:33:54 PM »
I have window 8 and it's kinda ridiculous. They tried to combine tablet/apple techniques with desktop and it's just goofy. My hubby likes it ,but I think it's the novelty of the touch-screen. One example is closing programs, you can either swipe down the screen, where the program goes on into the background for 5min (or forever for some programs which don't actually close this way for some reason) or you can press Alt-F4... how hard would it be to use the little X on the top? Argh!  Nothing's intuitive with windows 8 for me so far, it's just fiddly.

If I were you, I'd check out demos first to make sure you're comfortable with how it works, hubby is, I'm not.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
Check out videos that compare the two. From what I've seen, Windows 7 performs better. I personally don't like what they did in Windows 8 and currently use Windows 7.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
I've heard, and zabe77's post seems to confirm it, that W8 is no good for non-touchscreen computers, which is at this stage basically everyone's home computer :S I think I'd stick to W7 as there is nothing wrong with it and it doesn't seem to be outdated yet.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
I don't like windows 8 and absolutely hate it. It's like having two home screens to do everything twice and trying to find anything is a hassle. It's a mess really. Great for a phone, not so great for computer use.

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 07:12:17 PM »
Just got an new HP with Windows 8.  I hate it.  It took me forever to find anything, I couldn't figure out how to exit out of stuff.  I ended up just switching back to good old desktop mode and staying there. :P 
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »
I've heard you also have to upgrade most of your software for it to be compatible...So for those of us with leftover copies of office 2007, etc... and those expensive adobe suites... I'm not touching it. I just got given a used W7 desktop by my MIL as ours died, we were looking at upgrading but since having looked into W8, we've started looking at getting one either custom built with W7, or a refurb. one once we decide to upgrade.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

berylliumpone

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 07:47:23 PM »
I have Windows 8, and there's definitely a learning curve. They meant it to be tablet-friendly, not necessarily pc-friendly.
Though it has grown in me...I kind of like the modern look to it. It's kind of complicated, but not too bad. It has it's pro's and con's.
If you have an Xbox, you will probably like it (it connects to Xbox, too).

If you want things simple, though, I'd stick with Windows 7.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »
Theres actually another thread on this.

My advice is, if this is for a laptop or actual computer, avoid it like the plague! Its nothing but one big headache that just does not work.  Alot of things arent compatible for it, too.

I had to actually fight to keep 7 on mine after being forced to try 8.  Im not sure what people were thinking when they tried to force it on people to make something clearly designed for phones and Ipads to go cross platform.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 09:07:14 AM »
I would wait on Windows 8.  There are still allot of issues comparability wise concerning software.

BabyInBlue

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 09:10:09 AM »
Win 8 is designed for the touch-screen computers, that is why it is so different. If you don't have a touch-screen unit, it is a worthless OS. I am going off of what a network engineer, who just built my "new" computer, told me. He's been a NE for almost 10 years now...

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 09:35:14 AM »
This is good stuff to know, I have windows 7 and HATE it when things keep getting changed!!!

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
One more negative, I just found out in order to do basic editing on my photos, I have to download and install and app.  Really?!  Granted, it's free, but still. 
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal