collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony purchase regrets?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline hellapostalia

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Hello sweetie...
    • View Profile
Pony purchase regrets?
« on: February 05, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
Have you ever just *kicked* yourself for not making a pony purchase, realizing later on what a great deal you passed up?

Here's one of my oops moments:

Standing in the toy isle at TRU in 2006 with not one, not two, but ALL of the birth flower ponies in my cart *sighs* I was in grad school at the time, and my dollar was stretched pretty thin. Not to mention the fact that 2006 was a HUGE year for the ponies... I felt like I was in the store every week just playing catch-up with the new releases. So *gulp* I talked myself out of getting all but one, my birth month. 

Here's one more, just for fun :)

Ebay auction for all 4 G3 MIB Disney princess ponies.
Starting bid: $20.00
Did I forget to bid? Yuppers.
Auction Ends: One bid. For $20.00. And I even think there was free shipping.

Anyone else? All gens welcome :)
:biggrin:

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
Re: Pony purchase regrets?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »
Wayyy back when the g4's came out and I thought they were ugly.  >_< Passed up on so many ponies. That I later paid much more for.

Offline Baby Mischief

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Liberae sunt nostrae cogitationes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 01:06:45 PM »
Hmm, ok. So when I had just starting to collect I didn´t know about mylittlewiki and places like that. So I really only bought the ponies I thought were cute. And someone sold a minty baby Applejack (G1) with ALL of her original accessories on a auctionsite and I didn´t understand what it was, so I just sat there and watched as the auction ended at 12 USD.. And I didn´t make one bid. :cry:

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »
I remember seeing G3 Tinka-Tinka-Too II (the diva pose) in stores several years ago. I wish I would have gotten her, considering how rare and expensive she is now.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:38:04 PM by DazzleKitty »
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »
At the fair last year I was wandering around during set-up and saw a booth with a Dream Castle MIB for a ridiculously good price.  Instead of asking the booth owners to hold it for me I just went back to my booth for money and when I came back not 2 minutes later I saw them handing it over to another lady.  I was crushed til I bought a bunch of stuff from MoonStars like 5 minutes later, lol! 

baby_yoyo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 01:40:04 PM »
When I was at uni there was a small carboot sale every sunday and I was in competition with a male pony dealer who owned a second hand toy shop so we were constantly eyeing each other seeing which stalls we'd been to....

One week a stall was setting up and there wasn't anything I wanted.........then the woman behind the stall got a huge bag out of her car and unzipped it, no word of a lie, 50 G1's in there, the toy dealer was 2 seconds in front of me and got Ice Crystal, Lightening, Splosh, Baby Bridesmaid and 8 others for £10.00 :cry:

Thankfully I managed to get a few but I was heartbroken for weeks afterwards

It gradually got worse as he then brought his dad and brother with him and I heard him say ' Split up,get all the ponies, no matter if old or new as that girl over there is also after them' :mad:

Offline hellapostalia

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Hello sweetie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »
@baby_yoyo that man is a meanie and pony karma will get him in the end!! ...If it hasn't already  :lol:

I am loving these stories! Any other purchases you *didn't* or *couldn't* make that still haunt your pony dreams?
:biggrin:

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »
When I wasn't actively collecting, I hinted at hubby to buy me the Inspirational words set. I never got it (should have just bought it myself) and I was so disappointed. had to chase them down one by one last year! oh and rainbow flash... could have bought dozens, bought one. and no, she's not for sale. Dang it!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 01:56:30 PM »
I have had so many that I can not remeber them all. But there was one lot that was on ebay and they were all MINT SS ponies. They had a buy it now for $25.00 and there were some of the hard to find ones in it. I went to another page just to see if there was anything good. I went back to the listing and it sold!!!!!!! It was just listed and someone got it before me. I should of just jumped on it right then and there :(

baby_yoyo

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
If only we had a time machine? ;)

Thank you hella, I was tempted to make a voodoo doll or something but I thought, good karma will come my way, sure enough it did in a small way as I found a Macau Lemon Drop in a charity shop the next week  :biggrin:

This is a great thread btw

StarberryTart

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »
G4 Minty for $200ish or something on ebay. Considering I was able to purchase two SDCC :muffin: Pony toys and an entire wave of eight or so ponies, I could have afforded her. I thought she was really cute, but I had a :muffin: Pony obsession and thought, "Hey why buy just one when you can buy :muffin: Pony AND all these other ponies for the same price?"

When I found out she was one in maybe 10 that were ever made, and then that the next auction was asking something like $500+, I wept internally.

My husband went to Goodwill one day on a whim after doing some grocery shopping and saw that someone had dropped off like 50ish G1 ponies. When he came home, he told me about it. I freaked out and told him that we needed to go back and get them! Goodwill had closed by that time, but it was supposed to be closed for the next couple of days due to holidays, so we waited. We went the next day that it was open but they were all gone. He said there were a TON of G1 baby ponies too.  :cry:

CarnationTwirl

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »
I had found some G1's in Value Village once, but didn't have enough money on me to buy them all.  Of course, that was the last time I ever saw any G1s there.
Someone locally was selling lots of ponies for 12$ a pop (3 to a bag) but she told me I didn't get there early enough to score the really amazing ponies- there was a big bin still but the other two bigger bins had gone already.  Aaaand I couldn't spend as much as I wanted to because it was my bills paycheck and I wanted to still be able to buy food.  Oh well, at least I got my Bubbles.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »
Ice Crystal for $50 on eBay.  I saw it and I froze.  It was over my price limit, I wasn't working at the time.  By the time I got up the courage to buy him anyway, he was gone - but at least I think he went to another collector.  :)

I'm also sure I must have left g1s behind in the 90s at thrift stores because I've been hitting them up since the mid 90s but I only started collecting in 2006.  I don't even want to think about what I might have misses.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 04:34:31 PM »
All of these stories are breaking my heart! Especially yours, baby_yoyo. That guy sounds like a real jerk. Especially bringing in backup just to get all the ponies himself...

So far, I've only had pony regret in the form of buying things I shouldn't, overspending, etc. I haven't had any big "shoulda coulda woulda" moments.

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 04:38:35 PM »
I think we all have the FS AJ regret. I remember when she was EVERYWHERE, and that was basically all they had other than Rarity and Pinkie.

I thought, "Nah, she'll still be there!"
Few weeks later, she's no where to be found, few months later, she's 150+ dollars MIB. I have a loose one, but still...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal