collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

When you first got into MLP, was it due to watching a MLP cartoon?

No, and the generation that got me interested was G1.
52 (52%)
Yes, and the generation that got me interested was G1.
24 (24%)
No, and the generation that got me interested was G2.
3 (3%)
No, and the generation that got me interested was G3.
2 (2%)
Yes, and the generation that got me interested was G3.
0 (0%)
No, and the generation that got me interested was G4.
0 (0%)
Yes, and the generation that got me interested was G4.
19 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Did a MLP cartoon first get you interested in My Little Ponies?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: Did a MLP cartoon first get you interested in My Little Ponies?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 07:31:29 PM »
Toys first, definitely.  The cartoon didn't even exist when I started collecting.  (Yes, I was a collector almost from the beginning, even though I was a little kid.)
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 07:37:44 PM »
I said no because I got hand-me-downs so I got an MLP VHS tape as well as G1 ponies all at the same time.
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 08:15:26 PM »
Cartoons for sure! My Grandma used to record the G1 cartoons for me so I could watch them after I came home from school since she babysat me every day. I loved them, especially the MLP Tales! I did have two actual toys when I was little, a baby ballerina and a Sweetheart Sister, but I didn't really make the connection that they were the same thing. I was obsessed with horses overall so they were just a part of my 'pony collection', it made no difference if they were actual MLPs or not. I actually favored this larger hard plastic blue horse with white swirls on her body and I think white or pink hair and carried her with me EVERYwhere. I remember reading once that she was actually a part of a Hasbro toy line, but I can't recall what she's actually called, but I'm sure I still have her in storage somewhere. :)

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »
Friendship is Magic pulled me in... I remember when the series was new, I was surprised with how many bronies there were, and jokingly told a friend to "just kill me" if I ever got into it... Tut tut, younger self.  :huh: I ended up watching the first episodes out of curiosity and kind of cringing over watching a "kid's show" the whole time (My parents would shame me from a young age for watching cartoons, I was afraid to watch anything too childish until MLP.) After a few episodes I started to like the characters, enjoy the writing and the art, and really got into it. I don't think I started buying ponies until... mid season 2? But FiM is what got me started, and I think I'll always have a place in my heart for the show, even if I don't always collect the ponies.  :lovey:

rukkanen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 02:41:47 AM »
G1 toys got me into ponies, my friend had a ton of ponies and they were so pretty. I only had one real my little pony. When I was teen I found some ponyphotos from internet and had to get my own from storage to check what she was. There it started. :) I watched MLP cartoon too when I was small but I had none of my own.

Offline Falconaitae

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 04:12:22 AM »
I'm not sure, if I should pick, that G1 cartoon got me in or G4 cartoon got me in ^^
Well, when I was about 8 years old, I got some episodes of G1 series from the video rental shop, and I liked the cartoon so much, that I nagged my parents untill they bought me some ponies. Then I grown and forgot about MLP totally. When the FIM craze started, I was like "oh, my little ponies, I remember them from when I was 8" and basically ignored the whole thing, untill one day I was bored, and I decided to watch one episode of FIM just for the laugh... and I got dragged again, both to the series and to my childhood toys :) 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:15:54 AM by Falconaitae »
My pony blog
It's better to be a famous drunkard, than an anonymous alcoholic

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 04:18:03 AM »
I don't remember much from back then, but I know it was first the toys around 1983 (I got Glory and Bubbles). I didn't see the cartoons until much later.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 07:20:44 AM »
I started collecting G1's before I ever saw the first show.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »
Interesting poll results and a great question!

It was certainly the toys for me - I didnt watch any MLP shows until my dad rented me the MLP movie from the local video store [a video which I insisted on being rented just about every other week - I dont think another little girl in the whole town had a chance to see it]. I loved that movie. But I had ponies and loved the toys long before I watched the film.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 04:48:49 PM »
Sort of? I liked MLP when I was little but I wouldn't likely have given it a second thought as an adult if not for Friendship is Magic. My love for it got me collecting all generations of ponies, and for that I'm really grateful!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »
Sort of? I liked MLP when I was little but I wouldn't likely have given it a second thought as an adult if not for Friendship is Magic. My love for it got me collecting all generations of ponies, and for that I'm really grateful!

For the purposes of this poll, that would be the G1 option.  :)  I'm interested in what got people interested in MLP as kids, not as adults.

Unless they ONLY became interested in MLP as adults.

Basically, whatever made someone like MLP to begin with, whether it was as a kid or as an adult.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 06:22:44 PM »
I was always into fantasy creatures and my parents just handed me that plastic toy and boom instant bond went something like this 

Dad- "here sweety play with the pony"

Little me- " Pony! pony!"

I did watch the G1 cartoon tales and the original the episodes with Mimic and the princess ponies were my favorites   

Cumberbatch2012

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 06:51:15 PM »
No, actually, what got me interested was an ad in the K-Mart paper when I was 8 years old for MLP's on sale for $5.00.  I had never seen or heard of them before then.  I loved horses, so that's what caught my attention.  I had to earn the privilege by behaving myself for a whole week, which I did, and then was taken to K-Mart where I picked out Cotton Candy.  :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »
No, actually, what got me interested was an ad in the K-Mart paper when I was 8 years old for MLP's on sale for $5.00.  I had never seen or heard of them before then.  I loved horses, so that's what caught my attention.  I had to earn the privilege by behaving myself for a whole week, which I did, and then was taken to K-Mart where I picked out Cotton Candy.  :)

How awesome that you remember that!  :D 
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Linnzy

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 09:13:35 PM »
Being about 3-5 years old when I first got ponies..I honestly can't remember.

I only have one memory of watching the cartoon as a kid, and that was "End of Fluttervalley" I remember the scene where the witches had to eat Icecream..and i was at my dads aparteent...but I think i must've been around 8 by then...though I think I had ponies from years before...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal