collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Which generation is your favorite and why? Pick a gen and a reason!

G1
61 (34.7%)
G2
2 (1.1%)
G3
11 (6.3%)
G4
21 (11.9%)
I grew up with that generation.
46 (26.1%)
I didn't grow up with that gen, but I love the look of the toys.
12 (6.8%)
I love the show and characters.
13 (7.4%)
My first pony was from ____ generation so it's my favorite gen.
4 (2.3%)
Other.
6 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Why is G1/G2/G3/G4 your favorite gen?  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Why is G1/G2/G3/G4 your favorite gen?
« on: July 29, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »
I was thinking about why exactly G1s are my favorite and I'm not quite certain, but I think it's because I grew up with them :) They brought me lots of happiness when I was little so they have a special place in my heart! :lovey: I do love G3 and G4, but nothing could replace my love for G1s! I know people collect for different reasons so I was curious which gen and why is it your favorite :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
Re: Why is G1/G2/G3/G4 your favorite gen?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:29:23 PM »
G1s have my heart. I grew up with them but they are also the reason we have the rest of the generations.  I've always been one to like the original version of things in general and the G1s were so beautiful and so fun to play with.  Also I used to wake up super early just to watch the cartoon, I saw the movies and I memorized (and would go around singing) the theme song and the sea pony songs.  I have a big fondness for sea ponies.  I also knew ALL of their names back then.  So nostalgia, beauty and overall look, and that they were first make them my favorite.

Of course I also love the other generations. I'm falling more and more for the G3s and I am starting to collect them. I'm also collecting g4s that are not the main characters. I'm not to crazy about repeating the same pony over and over again. I'm even thinking of getting one G2 just to have one but to me the G2s look like a whole other toy and like they don't properly fit in. If I think of them as something else I like them more.

As far as the shows go, I think the new FIM is a better cartoon.  As an adult I can't see myself watching the G1 tv show anymore except maybe to reminisce.  However, I love how clever FIM is.  They really know what they are doing and it appeals to adults and kids. 

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:41:53 AM by Marigold »

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »
Was a tough choice between G1 and G4 but in the end I had to go with G4. Yes, I did grow up with G1s, I adore the first movie and many of the episodes, I think their toy designs have a lovely, nostalgic feeling to them and love their overall sweet and innocent emotion the evoke. But I was born in 89 and as much as I loved the cartoons, I don't remember them being around for too long, and I had plenty of other non-MLP ponies that I loved to play with just as much and I only had 2 MLP toys.

I do feel that with the new G4 ponies my love for them has really rekindled in a way much different than my first go around. The set personalities of the ponies is very refreshing compared to G1 when I often felt I couldn't tell many of the ponies' characters apart (Wind Whistler, Gusty and Fuzzy were the only ones I could ever name offhand), and the new toy design of smaller ponies is absolutely perfect for me. And as much as a distaste a lot of the "bronies" leave for me, I do admit the culture around ponies they have built has really propelled me into a creativity I haven't had for quite awhile and it's extremely inspiring.

Binny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:38:58 PM »
I don't think I can pic a favorite! :drunk: I love them all in different ways so it's like apples and oranges for me.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:52:34 PM »
Toys: G1s. A VERY wide variaty of ponies, they also have tons of variants of the same pony, making them very fun t collect. I also love the different sets of ponies, like TAF, TE, Princesses, etc. And the babies are adorable.

Cartoons: G4. Pretty obvious. The ponies have more distinct personalities, it's well written, etc etc.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 10:44:19 PM »
I don't think I can pic a favorite! :drunk: I love them all in different ways so it's like apples and oranges for me.
Same here. For me, the toy and show are independent. And each generation is so different.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline Daiyuflower

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 10:52:41 PM »
I love G1s because I grew up with them in the 80s :)  It's such a nostalgia trip to collect them now, and it's fun hunt down either childhood ponies or ponies wanted as a kid but never had.  I loved the MLP movie as a child as well.

That being said, I also love G4.  I like the stylized look of the ponies, and the wonderful show and characters.  I also discovered recently that G4 FS ponies can wear G1 ponywear....so that opens up a whole realm of possibilities :-D

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 11:59:57 PM »
Definitely G1's, I don't collect anything else. Nostalgia is probably the biggest draw, but I also think they are the most attractive. G3's I don't mind so much, but I don't really care at all for the style direction the other generations went in. Just a personal thing really.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 12:11:20 AM »
G1  :)  I grew up with them and they were a great escape from reality when I was little.  I also prefer the look of the toys to all of the others (G4 is my second favorite, but still can't hold a candle to my vintage loves).

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 01:03:08 AM »
I know it is because I grew up with G1s. The happy childhood memories playing with ponies is what makes my heart smile whenever I look at them :)
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Niennra

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 01:12:17 AM »
I chose G1 because, as others said, it was the generation I grew up with. That being said, I do love G3s too, because the ponies feel similar to the G1s. The g4 generation toys are cute, but im not extremely fond of them. They are cute, but the show does it for me mostly. Its hilarious, adorable and very watchable, even if Im 25 :3

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 02:08:05 AM »
I grew up watching G1 videos & playing with G2 toys, so I'm torn. xD
I absolutely adore the G2 style & artwork, & Friendship Gardens is my favourite version of Ponyland. Everytime I see a G2 illustration, it gives me such a happy nostalgic feeling. :)
On the other hand, I think G1s made the most attractive toys, & they make up the majority of my collection right now. So many wonderful characters & personalities.

I also love G3s, the toys really appeal to me, & I have loads of favourites. I was 10 when they came out, so they also hold some nostalgic value.
Toy-wise, I don't care for G4 at all.

So I guess it's a tie between G1 & G2.  :lovey:
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline FlitterRose

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Welcome to Daydreamland. No reality allowed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 02:32:37 AM »
Even tho G1 had my heart from the first time I saw them,I picked G3.I just grew up with them and my fisrt pony was a G3 Cherry Blossom :lovey:
Sup

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 02:43:55 AM »
I love all gens but if i had to pick i would go for G1. No other gen can compare to that toyline and the level of variation it had. I also love the original G1 cartoon. It was cutesy and dark at the same time. And i know a lot of people are bothered by the fact that the ponies weren't as "fleshened" out but that never annoyed me. If anything, i like the fact that we had a lot of different ponies appearing. At times i get a bit tired of the FIM main characters. Because their toys get re-released a million times, it's always them in any merchandise and even in the cartoon i kinda feel i have had it with certain problems. (Fluttershy is shy, Dash brags a lot, Twilight gets obsessed...) I think it wouldn't hurt to toss in some new pony characters.

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:46:36 AM »
My favorite generation is the G1. And I know it's because I grew up with them. They will always have a special place in my heart because of that.

That beeing said I LOVE the G3's because they look so much like the G1's.

I also adore the G4's because of the show :)

And the G2's and G3.5 I really like because... well... they're MLP's :P
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal