collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Which generation is your favorite and why? Pick a gen and a reason!

G1
61 (34.7%)
G2
2 (1.1%)
G3
11 (6.3%)
G4
21 (11.9%)
I grew up with that generation.
46 (26.1%)
I didn't grow up with that gen, but I love the look of the toys.
12 (6.8%)
I love the show and characters.
13 (7.4%)
My first pony was from ____ generation so it's my favorite gen.
4 (2.3%)
Other.
6 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Why is G1/G2/G3/G4 your favorite gen?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why is G1/G2/G3/G4 your favorite gen?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 07:19:34 AM »
It was tough, but I eventually had to choose G4. I did have G1's when I was a kid and am actively collecting them more than G4 right now, but I've had so little actual contact with them as a child that it feels like I'm trying to relive someone else's childhood. But G4 is what made me do a double take and get back into ponies, and I don't feel so strange collecting their toys. It was about the show at first, but now I like it almost entirely for the toys. I get such a simple, happy joy from looking at and playing with my FS Applejack, that I don't get from any other pony from any other gen :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ThePoeticPony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »
G4 ~ I love the show and characters

I'd have to say this because I was never really interested in My Little Pony up to G4. I didn't find anything wrong with or dislike the other generations, they just didn't stand out for me just going around my everyday life, sort of like in the background as I didn't pay much attention to them. The thing with G4 was that I looked at some of the episodes and genuinely thought, "WOW, THIS is My Little Pony?! No way." I don't know what it is about it, but the stories are nice with a cool moral at the end, the characters are interesting and lovable, the continuity in the episodes is brilliant, the animation is fluent and quite frankly fun to look at, and they have some of the best songs on TV I've ever heard. Compared with most other shows on TV nowadays, it just blew everything else I've seen out of the water just with the pure effort and thought that's gone into it.

The wedding episode of G4 is definitely the best thing I've ever seen watching television for reasons that would take me a month to list off here, and that can probably also explain why Princess Cadence is my favourite pony too.

Offline Vampasaurus

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Champion of Kirkwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 07:53:12 AM »
G3 is my favorite. Me and my sister grew up with G1, we watched the shows and played with her G1 ponies. then I grew out of ponies.

I got back into it when I saw the G3s. They are so colorful and I love them all! They have such great detailed symbols, lovely eyes and more colors and patterns then I could ever hope for. the only shame is that there are so few Unicorns/pegasi and anything non-earth pony. G1 had the best variety.

that being said I love ALL gens of ponies. 1, 2, 3 and 4. I just collect G3s more then the others.

http://vampasaurus.tumblr.com/

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 07:53:58 AM »
At times i get a bit tired of the FIM main characters. Because their toys get re-released a million times, it's always them in any merchandise and even in the cartoon i kinda feel i have had it with certain problems. (Fluttershy is shy, Dash brags a lot, Twilight gets obsessed...) I think it wouldn't hurt to toss in some new pony characters.

I agree with this.  I really wish they would bring in more characters.  They are doing a little here and there, but I'd like more of it! 

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 08:53:48 AM »
G1. I didn't grow up with that gen, but I love the look of the toys.
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 08:55:53 AM »
At times i get a bit tired of the FIM main characters. Because their toys get re-released a million times, it's always them in any merchandise and even in the cartoon i kinda feel i have had it with certain problems. (Fluttershy is shy, Dash brags a lot, Twilight gets obsessed...) I think it wouldn't hurt to toss in some new pony characters.

I agree with this.  I really wish they would bring in more characters.  They are doing a little here and there, but I'd like more of it!

I'm actually really glad they haven't brought in too many minor characters as anything more than background fillers. I think one of the biggest draws to G4 that has helped amass such a huge new fanbase is the presence of somewhat mature, stable personalities we can depend on to grow and learn,as opposed to constant new ponies that may be difficult to bond with and care about because we just don't know anything about them. Plus, if the Derp pony is anything to go by, a large portion of the fanbase is perfectly content leaving background ponies where they are, preferring to make up their own personalities and stories rather than watch it, which I think is fantastic as it spurs on such a huge amount of creativity! It's amazing!

But that's all just my opinion  :blush: I'd LOVE to see more minor ponies made into toys, that would be awesome. But part of the show itself? Maybe not so much.

Offline Rika_of_Thunder

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »
G2 is my favorite generation~! It not only is the generation I grew up with, but I just adore how the toys look~! They're just so slender and graceful and pretty looking~ >u< And their little faces always make me smile~

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 09:22:17 AM »
Well I would have to say there is no Gen I dislike, there are only gens I don't know that much about.

I love every Gen's pony styles (although a few ponies I am sure look a little scary in each gen).

Out of all the gens, I know G4 inside and out, so I think that is my favourite. G1 is also a favourite because they were my favourite toys growing up.

I didn't really pay attention to G2,3, or 3.5 because I didn't even know they existed until a couple of years ago. I would love to know more about them.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »

I'm actually really glad they haven't brought in too many minor characters as anything more than background fillers. I think one of the biggest draws to G4 that has helped amass such a huge new fanbase is the presence of somewhat mature, stable personalities we can depend on to grow and learn,as opposed to constant new ponies that may be difficult to bond with and care about because we just don't know anything about them. Plus, if the Derp pony is anything to go by, a large portion of the fanbase is perfectly content leaving background ponies where they are, preferring to make up their own personalities and stories rather than watch it, which I think is fantastic as it spurs on such a huge amount of creativity! It's amazing!

But that's all just my opinion  :blush: I'd LOVE to see more minor ponies made into toys, that would be awesome. But part of the show itself? Maybe not so much.

Actually, i think the main characters don't really "grow". To me they seem like fairly static, archetypal characters (the shy one, the bookworm, the tomboy...). There is nothing wrong with that per se. It's just that i'm a bit tired with them repeating certain problems in the show. Like how many episodes do we need about Fluttershy overcoming her shyness (only for her to be just as shy in other episodes)? I don't really see them evolving all that much myself. So after a while i just get a bit bored. But that's just me. ^^;

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 10:51:50 AM »
G1s :lovey: grew up with them, love they way they look and let's face it, their accessories and playsets absolutely win over all other gens ;) G2 are close though :P
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
For me as well it's G1s, because I grew up with them! :happy: They still seem the most 'alive' to me, as they were so real to me when I played with them as a kid. Love 'em always and forever :heart:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline UnicornTamer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Everypony needs Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Dreams
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
G3! Because I grew up with it, the characters are so sweet and the backgrounds are so beautiful. But I also LOVE G1 because the characters are so memorable(I mean who could forget Whizzer or Wind Wistler or Lickety-Split?), the backgrounds are so pretty, the toys and merch are such good quality, especially in comparison to other gens(like G4). G1 is got to be the best generation. But I grew up with G3s, and they have a very special place in my heart.

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 01:20:21 PM »
G1 for me, because I grew up with them. I have many fond memories of G1 ponies, both the toys and the cartoons. I like the appearance of them the best too. I do like the other generations, but the look of the G1s just appeal to me the most. They seem to have a whimsical quality to them that I don't see as much in the other generations.

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 01:23:46 PM »
G1--partly because I grew up with that gen and they have goos associations, partly because I love the look of them.  C:

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »
G1s, totally. I grew up with them, I was about 8 when they showed up. Fell in love right then and there. They represent innocence and happy childhood to me. :lovey:
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal