collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Vinyl is here to stay!  (Read 5081 times)

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Vinyl is here to stay!
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 09:32:38 AM »
*ducks flying fakies* 

I actually thought Vinyl Scratch *was* her Hasbro name and DJPON3 or whatever was the fanon moniker.  I think it's much more in the style of G1 naming...  especially if she possibly could come with accessories like have been mentioned above. 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 10:01:49 AM »
*ducks flying fakies* 

I actually thought Vinyl Scratch *was* her Hasbro name and DJPON3 or whatever was the fanon moniker.  I think it's much more in the style of G1 naming...  especially if she possibly could come with accessories like have been mentioned above. 

Don't feel bad - I didn't know that either!  I thought it was the other way around... Heh.  Shows how much I pay attention to the latest naming issues :)

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 10:14:13 AM »
I love it that they did go with the Vinyl Scratch name. I always liked it a lot more than DJ Pon3 which feels awkward to read for me every time I see it.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
Yay,  the DJ Pony having a name is nice.

I have to wonder if legal issues could arise from Hasbro using fan names. Couldn't the original person who thought up "Vinyl Scratch" claim it was their idea and look to get some money from Hasbro?

Vinyl Scratch is a nice name though.

Offline saikune

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 10:38:26 AM »
I don't really see the big deal about Hasbro using brony-made names. -shrug- Then again I also like that certain grey pegasus's meme-based-name so I dunno... I certainly prefer the sound of "Vinyl Scratch" rather than "DJ PON-3." Sounds more pony-ish. And it's not like brony favorites are the only ponies being made, it's just a small portion out of all the non mane 6 ponies so it is fine with me. c:
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,300089.0.html (<-- my wishlist) (not buying atm though)

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 11:03:03 AM »
Sooo back on topic.

I don't care what they name her because I am going to own her either way.  I would love to see her in FS size too!!

I'd love her in FS with removable glasses! How awesome would that be?

ZettaMomo

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 11:06:36 AM »
Sooo back on topic.

I don't care what they name her because I am going to own her either way.  I would love to see her in FS size too!!

I wonder what color her eyes would be?

Phekzhen

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 11:11:52 AM »
I have to wonder if legal issues could arise from Hasbro using fan names. Couldn't the original person who thought up "Vinyl Scratch" claim it was their idea and look to get some money from Hasbro?

For argument's sake, let's pretend I first named her Vinyl Scratch. If I never filed copyright for the name, there's nothing I can do about it. But I can't copyright the name to that specific pony, since the pony was on the HUB's show. The design of the character wasn't created by me, so I can't copyright it.

But I COULD copyright the name Vinyl Scratch, but have that be the name of something completely different, like a clothe's line, or a website. That's why his name is Big McIntosh, not Big Mac.

G1 and G2 were before the internet, so the only tangible way to hear back from fans were via sales. G3 could be discussed online, but it didn't get as big as G4. Bronies are everywhere, and they brought MLP to a level it's never reached before. Bronies are a space between young children and adult collectors, and they're a new market.

Hasbro is taking advantage of this market (and the money it has) by doing the Collector's Line at TRU. If you're not a fan of the show, then the Collector's Line will have almost 0 meaning to you other then it's another toy to buy. TRU is also going to have the Pony Friends Forever line, which is just rereleases with accessories, which little kids and collectors who love accessories will go after.

Yes, it's a shame that Hasbro didn't work with collectors and give them a lot of products that were created just for them, but that's because times have changed. Consumers are much more likely to let companies know what they want, and companies are now much more likely to listen.

If you want to be heard (collectors), interact with Hasbro in ways other than buying their products. Share with their Facebook page what you're making, what toys you like. Create fan art and show the world that you love MLP as a collector. Hasbro can't hear you if you stay in only one small corner of the internet.

Sooo back on topic.

They're purple. This is a screenshot of her show Flash object. You can't get more official than that!

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 11:16:52 AM »
My only complaint with the name is it has too many consonants XD But using it makes things less confusing anyways because she's already been referred to by that name for months.

I don't understand how using a "brony" name is a huge affront to collectors though? Did all of the collectors come up with a different name for her that was ignored in favour of Vinyl Scratch?

Offline QueenStarglow

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Glow 'N Show Queen
    • View Profile
    • The Glow 'N Show Stables
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 11:21:31 AM »
I'm excited for the toy versions of come of the more fun characters from the show! Not sure why people think she looks androgynous. She's got a cute punk-inspired haircut. Short hair isn't androgynous imo.

My Little Pony Blog: http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com | The Glow 'N Show Stables: http://glownshowpony.weebly.com
GnS Stables Sale thread G1-G4: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378506.0.html
MLP:FiM Gameloft friend code: f52c0

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 11:26:05 AM »
It actually took me forever to realize that P0n3 was leet speak of Pony lol  I had been pronouncing it as "PON" (rhyming with "john" "Three."  :headsmack:  I'm not a fan of leet speak so I do like Vinyl Scratch better.  Makes me think of a DJ making the scratchy sounds on the records to fit in with the songs.  And also, to make an album, they have to scratch the grooves in.  : D

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

ZettaMomo

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2012, 11:27:45 AM »
Sooo back on topic.

They're purple. This is a screenshot of her show Flash object. You can't get more official than that!

Ooo! Thank you for sharing that. I never really payed too close attention.
I still see people debating that her eyes are more red or maroon.
I do like the shade of purple they ended up picking out. She looks a little silly without her glasses.  :P

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 11:37:57 AM »
It actually took me forever to realize that P0n3 was leet speak of Pony lol  I had been pronouncing it as "PON" (rhyming with "john" "Three."  :headsmack:

Cub, you just blew my mind. I didn't realize that either and I used to be able to read leet... many moons ago apparently.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline tsukikakushi

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2012, 11:57:14 AM »
Did nobody else get the joke? I seriously just laughed my but off. If not, watch 'This is Spinal Tap', hilarious!
Wishlist:http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,350943.new.html#new

Currently looking for FF Minty. Let me know if you have her for sale!  :newpony:

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »
Cub, you just blew my mind. I didn't realize that either and I used to be able to read leet... many moons ago apparently.

:lmao:  Glad I'm not the only one!  XD

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal