collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Vinyl is here to stay!  (Read 5018 times)

Tenar

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Vinyl is here to stay!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 04:21:18 AM »
So they should come up with a different name just to mess with fans?  I'm confused on the outrage about it being a name that fans came up with.  It seems to me most of the names of background pony's names are voted on over at the MLP wiki which anyone could participate in.

Edit:  I'm also pretty sure that this merchandise is aimed at the "brony" audience so of course it is going to appeal to them with those fan-fav ponies.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:32:11 AM by Tenar »

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 04:47:07 AM »
Too much fanon becoming canon these days for my tastes.
Agreed. I'm wishing Hasbro would at least think of their core customers- the true collectors- once more.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 05:48:17 AM »
I don't understand what everyone's upset about. Vinyl Scratch is a cool name to me, and unlike the unnamed-gray-pegasus, her name isn't offensive (or at least, I don't see anything wrong with it. :) )

I can understand being upset because bronies are getting attention from Hasbro.. it bothers me a bit too, but I figured whatever Hasbro does happens, we can't really do a whole lot about it.

All I know is, I'll definitely be getting that set that has Vinyl in it once it comes out x3
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:59:00 AM by OctoberFlash »
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

antlercat

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 05:59:45 AM »
I honestly don't get why it's such a bad thing that the fanon is being accounted for.
There's nothing wrong with the name Vinyl Scratch. It's cute, it fits the pony, and let's be honest, it's a very "pony-ish" name...

Like it or not: the "bronies" are bringing attention to My Little Pony in a big way, and they're being noticed more than they have in years. Surely having less to be excited about/less to collect would be worse than, oh, a name...?

Hmm. Sorry if this is short, but I truly do not see what the issue is. Yes, some fans can go to the extreme, but...is it really something to get so het up about?

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 06:00:34 AM »
I can't speak for all, but I think the dislike comes from brony fandom having sway over Hasbro when Hasbro has ignored collectors for years. I would not say the influence is especially good either. Many distressing things have occurred. I would like it better if Vinyl Scratch had her/his own name that was not copied & pasted from (sometimes not that great) fan sources. I can't think of good names easily, but there are many other possibilities. Hasbro could easily choose another name. This just panders to bronies once again. Why not some other name? I love this pony's design, so I will probably get a figure of her eventually, but the news doesn't please me.

antlercat

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 06:03:25 AM »
Okay, then I understand that - I wasn't aware of Hasbro's previous ignorance.
That said...they are a big company after all, and I guess they see that the Brony community, as it were, are willing to spend massive amounts of money on what they consider to be "their" ponies, so maybe that's why. They are a business after all :(

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 06:03:37 AM »
Sooo back on topic.

I don't care what they name her because I am going to own her either way.  I would love to see her in FS size too!!
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

antlercat

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 06:05:29 AM »
All due respect: I was on topic. Stating my opinion on the topic. :)
But - yeah, I would like to buy her too, if she makes it to the UK.

ZettaMomo

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 06:20:48 AM »
Sooo back on topic.

I don't care what they name her because I am going to own her either way.  I would love to see her in FS size too!!
A FS one of her would be nice!
I wonder if it would include accessories like DJ Headphones! Or removable glasses.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 06:22:43 AM »
Sooo back on topic.

A FS one of her would be nice!
I wonder if it would include accessories like DJ Headphones! Or removable glasses.
And a bunch of little records!!!
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 07:55:34 AM »
The name doesn't mean much to me, and I don't follow all those brony sites (nor do I get all this cannon stuff).

The reason I would buy him/her? Because everytime I see him/her it reminds me of Majesty!

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 08:43:20 AM »
Eugh, this is one of those fan names that I really don't like.  'Vinyl Scratch' is a phrase that make me think of a very specific, unpleasant, sound... You guessed it, someone dragging a needle across a record.  It just makes me shudder.  I don't want pony names to make me shudder.

Wilford B Wolf

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 08:48:31 AM »
considering the name randomizer that they have been using for the blindbags...id much rather see a well thought out FAN made name used since...lets face it this pony IS being made for the fans...but even if she wasnt..wouldnt it still be better from a buisness sense to use something everyone has either seen or hearfd than useing the name randomizer?

besides dj pon3 is not really something that works well....its a great stage name but not much beyond that

lol but scratching records is what modern dj's do..its about HOW they do it....

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 08:56:33 AM »
Agreed. I'm wishing Hasbro would at least think of their core customers- the true collectors- once more.
I thought the "core customers" were little girls...

IMO, I think it's great that they're using some of the names that the fans came up with.  It shows that they've got their finger on the pulse of the fans who are driving this direction of the merch.  It's not like there was a competing "collector" name for this pony, and they're choosing one group of adult fans over another group of adult fans.

Look at how many pony toys they're making.  How many of those have any sort of reference to the brony group?  Lyra, Vinyl Scratch, the Comic-Con pony... and that's about it.  Versus how many ponies are just plain ponies - aside from the Mane 6, the CMC, and Celestia, most of the brushable ponies don't even appear in the show.  I think they're giving something to *all* the fans of ponies.  Some for the bronies, and plenty for the collectors.

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 09:18:37 AM »
So...they're continuing to use the names bronies have come up with as the ponies' official names?  :huh:

Yeah, that's what bugs me about this gen.  I don't know if Hasbro just doesn't want to mess with creating their own names, or what, but I really wish they'd stop with the "what bronies say becomes canon" thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal