collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Healthy Habits For Ponies! Take 2! ~Update last challenge, pg 99!!  (Read 89207 times)

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I´m out after all. Got a summer job and with all the summer visits I don't think I´ll be able to commit. Hope there will be something in the autumn :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I'm going to join in. :)

I need to think about what my habits are going to be though, because right now my issue is comfort eating. I want to turn that into comfort exercising (we have a gym with a punch bag so I can relieve all my stress there!) but as part of the process I also want to work on why I feel the need to comfort eat.

Post Merge: June 10, 2012, 11:57:29 AM

Your Username: Daffy Dilly

Your GOALS:
  • I want to drop a dress size by late August.
  • I guess that means losing 2" off my hips and waist and proportionately every where else.
  • I also want to lose 1" off my upper arms.
Your PLAN:
I need to stop comfort eating so I will:
-Stop buying the foods that I comfort eat (Nutella and Digestive Biscuits)
-When I get a food craving, go into our gym and train it out, even if it's just 30 seconds punching the bag
-Do my EFT affirmations twice per day (morning and bedtime) to level out the emotions I feel at that time

I need to improve my diet including:
-Go back to totally no crisps or chocolate
-Bread intake down to one meal a day or less*
-Treats are OK if I either - walk to the supermarket to buy them or make them myself (depending on whether it's sweets or bakery!)
-Eat breakfast 7 days per week - I currently manage 5

-Drink more - two bottles (however big it is!) per day to start, aiming to get up to 3

I already work out twice a week with a PT but need to do extra to meet my goal so I'm going to say 30 minutes minimum of activity - not being sat behind a desk or on the sofa - a day. When I get into it I need to train every day or I feel rubbish, but I also need to acknowledge that my body needs a break now and again. On those days, I can walk for 30 minutes.

*I am going away for a week in July to help restore a canal. It's building work so that's great from a physical point of view, but control over my diet will be limited. On that week, I'll just be aiming to eat three decent meals and keep my water intake high.

Still got more to think about! :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:35:41 PM by DaffyDilly »

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
had a tough day yesterday and the day before took a walk bothdays but drnk like 5 sodas each day ><

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Does anyone have any tips to help vegetarians stay away from too many carbs? I love pasta and potatoes and bread and though I try to eat whole grains and such I know I eat too many carbs. I love salad but I can't eat that 3 meals a day. What are some other, easy, one person meals that are vegetarian and low carb? I don't want to cut them out altogether, just not eat so many.

Try using bean sprouts instead of pasta. I had to stop eating pasta because even half a handful would make me feel uncomfortably bloated, so I started eating bean sprouts instead. I just use some 1 cal spray oil, a frying pan and they take 3-4 minutes to cook through. They come out not greasy and not full of water too, so your sauce doesn't get diluted. :)

Offline silverskimmer

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Went horse riding yesterday :) Was so much fun. Rode my old bud Bugs, did some jumping, played some games. All in all a good day with plenty of exercise!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Silver Skimmer Ref
Wish list
Looking for any and all wingers! Especially baity ones in need of love!

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Try using bean sprouts instead of pasta. I had to stop eating pasta because even half a handful would make me feel uncomfortably bloated, so I started eating bean sprouts instead. I just use some 1 cal spray oil, a frying pan and they take 3-4 minutes to cook through. They come out not greasy and not full of water too, so your sauce doesn't get diluted. :)

That's a great idea! I'll look for them next time I grocery shop. I was bad last night. I had pizza for dinner. But I did get a lot of dancing done, and did more today. I ate pretty good today; had lots of veggies & greens. I bought some whole wheat tortillas to make wraps instead of sandwiches to cut out a few carbs. I have depression and anxiety problems, and I dunno if it's psychosomatic or what but since I've been eating more fresh fruits & veggies I've felt a lot better mentally. I hope that trend continues!
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
Updating everything now =) I was off in Houston, yesterday for the Pony Meet and got derailed being my Mum's tech support for her Garmin for the last two hours. I'll respond to people as well here while I am updating =)

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
what about if you want to *gain* weight?
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
what about if you want to *gain* weight?

Perfectly fine =) There's another person participating that wants to gain some weight too.

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
Did some dancing around while I was cleaning today, in an attempt to burn some calories.  =]  Had fun too. 

Starting yoga tomorrow night while DH is working and might go bowling with Ellie (my bff), and going to do karate Tuesday night.  =]  Will do yoga again after that.  I'm feeling rather pumped about this!  I am hoping it will ease some of my joint and back pain too.  =]

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
Its all about the healthy habits that you want for yourself:) so ifweight gain is what you need how would yo go about it? Thats really what it comes down to. As long as your goal is gaing some healthy habits all is good:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
I'll send you a pm soon. ^_^ it's the long weekend for me so I'll have plenty of time to think up a wish list.

Also, I'm planning on exercising this weekend! ^.^

Got your PM =) I have everything set up for you now.

Post Merge: June 10, 2012, 08:59:48 PM

Welcome! Those are good reasons! I love horseback riding, it's the one thing that I really miss about moving to a city. There just aren't very many places that offer riding and I'm past the point where a sedate trail ride is too much fun.

Do you primarily ride for fun or do you participate in different equestrian events?

Thanks for having me, Surfstar.  I used to do a lot of showjumping and eventing with my old horse but now I mainly ride for fun.  I am hoping to do a fewlow-key  jumping and dressage days with my new girl this season.

Today I have had breakfast, lunch and a small snack for afternoon tea so far.  I am hoping not to have anything at all after dinner but if I cave, I have two pieces of chocolate set aside so I don't eat the whole block.  I also took my horse for a ride along the beach and spent the day shifting electric tape.

You're welcome. I used to do jumping and dressage, but I haven't been able to have a horse for years. Ooh. Chocolate, I keep Hershey's Kisses around so I can portion it out (and have some different flavors). I love the pumpkin spice one they have during the fall.

Post Merge: June 10, 2012, 09:04:38 PM

I wanted to see if this would be cheating my plan...kind of need some impute. If I made sure to eat half or less of a restaurant meal or take on a salad even if all cut backs take me over my cal goal to get my cal point...could I still take the point? or would that be kind of cheating the purpose and possible make me compromise later down the road.

I want to be fair for one thing...and two just need some ideas that could help out way to start a healthy habits journey:P

I think that since we all set up our goals/plans, as long as you don't feel like it is cheating I wouldn't consider it so.

A couple of suggestions about eating out, if possible plan in advance. Many restaurants have their menus online and if you have a smart phone (in the US most are required to have data packages) you can look at them online that way while traveling. Another great tip is to ask the waiter for a To-go box at the beginning of your meal, then immediately put about 1/2 of everything in the box. The portions you get at most restaurants are huge. If you're ordering something not to-go friendly, try ordering off the kids meal. Most places will let you for a small charge.

What I often do is also just order some side items. A side salad and plain baked potato can be very filling and often is a great portion. Just be a little creative and do your best. That's all anyone can do. Remember too, little splurges are fine, there is never any reason to feel guilty about eating.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:04:38 PM by SurfStar »

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
I loved Pounds for Ponies, I'd like to join.  But I will have surgery (again... on the other hip... ugh) right in the middle so exercise is mostly out.  Would using my leg lifting machine for the required 9+ hours a day count?  Because for the first couple weeks, that is going to be my limit.  I'm 7 weeks out of surgery #1 and I'm finally walking without my crutches.  I even took the dogs for about a half-mile walk the other day!  And I'm barely limping.  So I should be back to this activity level by... September.  :faint:

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline SurfStar

• Surfer Pony
  • Wind, waves, 'n Sun...
    • View Profile
    • Spunsugar Confections
I loved Pounds for Ponies, I'd like to join.  But I will have surgery (again... on the other hip... ugh) right in the middle so exercise is mostly out.  Would using my leg lifting machine for the required 9+ hours a day count?  Because for the first couple weeks, that is going to be my limit.  I'm 7 weeks out of surgery #1 and I'm finally walking without my crutches.  I even took the dogs for about a half-mile walk the other day!  And I'm barely limping.  So I should be back to this activity level by... September.  :faint:

I don't see why not Zenna. =) You and your Doctor know your limits far better than I do. Just adjust your Goals/Plan as needed =) I had knee surgery in high school, frankly the torture my PT put me through definitely counted as exercise!

Post Merge: June 10, 2012, 09:09:06 PM

Crowning_Glory, how you monitor your nutrition point is up to you I think! What I would do is while you're on your trip, don't monitor going by calories, but by the choices you make. If the majority of food choices you make in a day are healthy, then you earn your point. Remember this one is about learning healthy habits, not counting calories :) Even if weight loss is one of your goals, the most important thing is that you enjoy your trip and feel good about your choices! So that's my input. Long story short, your plan is yours to manipulate in whatever way fits your life at the time. One set plan is not always going to work because.... life happens! That's part of learning healthy habits, as far as I'm concerned.

Oh gosh, this. Completely, this. =) You said that better than I ever could have!

Post Merge: June 10, 2012, 09:12:05 PM

I play DDR, or at least I used to. Now I play Dance Central on the xbox kinect. I hold little 1 1/2 pound weights and it really works my arms! I have a DDR mat & a couple of games for the PS2 if anyone is interested. I'll sell them cheap or trade for ponies!

Last night's spicy stir fry veggies were awesome! I think the next time I buy rice I'll get brown rice, though.

I'm a little worried about the MLP Fair, and eating out. I plan on bringing some healthy snacks, but the hotel does not have a fridge or microwave so I'll be eating meals out a lot. Maybe if anyone else here is going to the Fair we could meet up for lunch and find healthy places to eat. OH! We could make t shirts! If anyone is artsy and wants to design a HH for Ponies t shirt I'll totally buy one and wear it proudly! Then we could all find each other at the Fair, lol.

Do love brown rice. It can have a bit of a different texture/flavor though. My husband can't stand it, so be prepared for that.

As for eating out, I posted some tips for Crowning_Glory, but they are equally applicable to this situation. If I were going to the fair, I would be totally on board for helping to find healthy places to eat.

If some of you are able to meet up, I'd love to see pictures! I was planning on attending but it was my husband's year to pick the Con, so we'll be in Washington (state) at PaizoCon, a D&D convention.

Post Merge: June 10, 2012, 09:13:38 PM

Something like this wouldnt help me, personally (my condition is medically related) but I do wish those going for it the best of luck <3

Actually, I need to try to set my own goals anyway.  More like trying to build a tolerance to do stuff without having episodes or getting sick.  Cant control what I eat though..had to cut 95% of everything out :/

So ill probably be doing something on the side ^^

Good Luck either way! I have a friend on another board that's struggling through something similar (it sounds like). I hope that you're able to be successful (both medically and personally).

Post Merge: June 10, 2012, 09:16:39 PM

I've decided I'm going to sign up then.. as long as food doesn't have to be a major part of it. I do need to develop other healthier habits in my life. I will try to at least eat more fruits and veggies, but I don't need to lose weight.

Nooope. Healthy habits can be anything honestly. Heck, if you wanted to just join the thread to stop smoking that would still qualify! That was part of the reason why I changed the name. I wanted it to be less about weight and more about developing positive habits that make you feel better about yourself.

That can be a lot of things. This is why everyone gets to set their own goals and make their own plan.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:16:39 PM by SurfStar »

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Does anyone have some good "light" recipes they would like to share?  I was thinking of sharing some of my favorites that I like to make.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal