collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's Talk Game of Thrones  (Read 8397 times)

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Game of Thrones
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »
I love this show!  My favourite character is Khal Drogo (played by Jason Momoa *drool*).  I also really like Danerys and Tyrion.

I've read all of the books except the latest one, and I loved Tyrion the best throughout.  The interesting thing is that Jamie is really growing on me too. He has evolved so much since the first book :)

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 10:38:11 PM »
Pretty much every single one of my friends is obsessed with this after I suggested they read it. I too plowed through all 5 books and am eagerly awaiting the second season!

Spoiler
I really really hope Jon isn't dead, although I have a feeling he's screwed. Curse George RR Martins willingness to kill his characters!! If Ghost managed to live he'll at least be alive in Ghost.  :huh:  I think there was some foreshadowing when that other warg died and now lives in his wolf.

I also think Jon is most definitely the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, and in that case, wouldn't he be the second head of the dragon? And Aegon is the third? Although Jon did get burned in the fire, and Daenerys clearly states at one point that fire can't burn a dragon.

I'm thinking maybe he was reborn through that fire...maybe he changed in some way? I've been thinking about this a lot the past few days but haven't gone back to re-read it. The prophecy says "reborn through fire...".

But ya, I agree with you :D So excited to read the next book!

Also, I am amazed at the amoun of foreshadowing that goes on in these books. For example, at one point in the second book Cait says that

Spoiler
she is drowning in her sorrow, and wants to drown in real life

tee hee :P   I've just finished reading through the second book and my SO is about a quarter of the way through the third (for the first time!!! AHHH!!!). So much happens in the third book... I just can't wait until he gets to a certain scene!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »
Pretty much every single one of my friends is obsessed with this after I suggested they read it. I too plowed through all 5 books and am eagerly awaiting the second season!

Spoiler
I really really hope Jon isn't dead, although I have a feeling he's screwed. Curse George RR Martins willingness to kill his characters!! If Ghost managed to live he'll at least be alive in Ghost.  :huh:  I think there was some foreshadowing when that other warg died and now lives in his wolf.

I also think Jon is most definitely the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, and in that case, wouldn't he be the second head of the dragon? And Aegon is the third? Although Jon did get burned in the fire, and Daenerys clearly states at one point that fire can't burn a dragon.

I'm thinking maybe he was reborn through that fire...maybe he changed in some way? I've been thinking about this a lot the past few days but haven't gone back to re-read it. The prophecy says "reborn through fire...".

But ya, I agree with you :D So excited to read the next book!

Also, I am amazed at the amoun of foreshadowing that goes on in these books. For example, at one point in the second book Cait says that

Spoiler
she is drowning in her sorrow, and wants to drown in real life

tee hee :P   I've just finished reading through the second book and my SO is about a quarter of the way through the third (for the first time!!! AHHH!!!). So much happens in the third book... I just can't wait until he gets to a certain scene!!

George RR Martin you tease you! :P

Hmm I hadn't thought about that! I think probably the reborn through fire refers to Daenerys, but maybe it actually means all 3 heads of the dragon? It could also refer to whats happening with the red priests though. Gah too many possibilities!

Offline aero_oceana

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/aero_oceana
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 07:57:18 AM »
I have not seen the show yet... but A Song of Ice and Fire has been my favorite book series for years. Very hard to put them down!

I will definitely check it out eventually... based on my favorite book series + one of my favorite actors Sean Bean? Definitely must see. :)

Thanks to Sorrow for my gorgeous sig and also for my beautiful avatar!
Formerly known as Aerosmith_Gal.

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 09:57:57 AM »
I'm obviously a huge fan. ;)

I'm completely enamored with the show, as well as the ASOIAF books, which I'm re-reading at the moment. I'm also currently wearing my "Winter is Coming" Stark house shirt that came in the mail this morning and  practically counting down the seconds until season 2 starts.

I've been a part of a lot of fandoms in the past, but I don't think any of them have ever hit me this hard.  I've probably seen the first season of the television show over 100 times already and I keep finding myself falling in love with it all over again (which isn't like me at all. I'll see a movie once and even if I like it, I probably won't watch it again for years). I just wish I could get more of my friends into it though. It's like they hear the word "fantasy" and they instantly write it off in their mind when I know many of them would love it if they just gave it a chance.  :huh:

My favorite characters include Daenerys, Brienne, Tyrion, and Jaime, though many of the others have endeared themselves to me as well over time. I find myself constantly rooting for different houses at different parts of the story, I never really know who to ultimately side with, if I ever will. It's such a rollercoaster of emotion and the characters and their histories are so fleshed out that many of them seem like real people.

Every time I think I know what's going to happen, I'm usually wrong, and it's because I'm so used to the cliches commonly used in the fantasy genre. I'm usually such a cynical reader/viewer, I hate it when you're introduced to the beginning and can already surmise the ending but you just need to figure out how everything got there. With this it's anyone's game and I love it!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:05:24 AM by Mandy85 »

Offline xkelpiex

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »
I have a crush on Tyrion o///o

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 01:43:10 AM »
I'm just watching it now and I'm a little distressed by the animal cruelty!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »
I read the first book over 14 years ago and has been stuck in that world since, reading and rereading.. I always return to those lands at least once a year and the everelasting waiting for the next book is always killing me. I should pose dramatically here just to show how much, lol. Being the superpickunitty reader I am tho.. I've yet to collect aDoD. I have all my books in pocket UK cover and I don't want to spoil that so even tho I had this huuuge countdown for the release last summer, I have not read it yet. They say patience is a good thing, but sometimes I wonder..
I have three favorite characters. Jon Snow. Always. My first real love to be honest. Him and me, walking with Ghost in the woods north of the Wall.. I had such vivid fantasies about us as a teen.
Arya. There has to be a rebel in a book and her development is excellent. I'm really, really curious about what will happened to her in the end.
 The Hound. More than meets the eye. It sucks that they made him so ugly in the TVshow. I always imagined the good side of his face looking like Brandon Lee. I don't know why.. and I know I'm not the only one who thought him and Sansa to be the perfect match. And theres a character I really hate. Sansa. Ugh! She gets what she deserve, thats for sure, no sympathy from me at all.

Anyway, the TV show. I was scared to watch it at first.. but knowing Martin had such insight in what happened I decided to try.. and I ended up watching the entire season in 2 days. Magnificent! I LOVE the intro! I love the cast, except a few. The enviroment, the clothes, the settings.. It's so right. It's so beautiful! I'm most impressed with the Wall! They managed with it so well! It's just so perfect!
I was dissapointed with Sean Bean as Ned. He is not a bad actor, and he did him very well. But with the hair and the cloths, he was so much alike Boromir from LotR and I couldn't stop thinking that while watching and it disturbed me a lot.
Also, Michelle Fairley was way to old for Catelyn Stark! She looks like Neds mother! Lena Heady is excellent as Cersei, but something she does with her mouth sturbs me, because she did the same as Sarah Connor in the Chronicles. I know you can't change your appearance like that, but just that thing.. but otherwise, she's the perfect Cersei.
and as I said earlier, no hard words on Rory McCann.. but he is not Sandor. NOT! Ever! *pouts*

okapishomapi, speaking of evil, I don't hink Cersei is evil. She is just a woman who tries to live in a mans world and get power where she has none. She was forced to marry a man she knows never will love her and did the best she could. Now she tries to survive and make what's best for her and her children. Joffrey on the other hand is a pure psychopath. And psychos with powers is never a good thing.

Offline Alrak

• Wicked Pony of the West
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 08:34:10 AM »
I feel pity for Cersei. Her world is so screwed, so rude that is no space for survival unless you kill first... See the Stark house for reference...:/

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »
Now that you guys mention it, I definitely agree with you about Cersei. Particularly in the last book, she is really just getting screwed over. I guess it just bothers me, the lengths and means she takes to get what she wants.

Beldarna, you're right about Sandor being such an awesome character. I'm actually on my first reread right now (I read them for the first time just a couple years ago) and Sandor is suuuuch a victim. I hope they make him that way in the show; I feel like they could easily decide to just skip over his character. I know they have to take some stuff out for length but I hope it's not him!! Also, Beldarna do you think he'll be returning to the action in the next books? I know we know where he is, but I wonder if he'll stay there...

I can't believe you haven't read the last book yet!! I can definitely understand wanting all the book to match, but daaaamn what a long time to wait!!

Oh, and Jon Snow is my favorite as well. I think the show has only made me like him more - the actor they chose for him is both close to my age and extreeeemely attractive to me :P

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »
I've read the books. And I've watched the whole HBO series.

Love it and am excited for season two.

I have so many Favorite characters it's hard to pick one. One of my favorite minor characters is Sandor (The Hound).

When I read the first book I started off not liking Sansa but as the book went on I found myself liking her more and going into the other books etc she became one of the characters I'm pulling for most. I like Arya but I actually slowly have kind of found her story in the series to be going a bit weird and don't particularly like the direction. I guess I'll see what Martin does with her.

with reading the books (and sort of in the tv show) you can find yourself finding sympathy for characters you originally might hate. I think the great thing about it is every character is flawed. There are characters to love but they also do stupid/bad or questionable things and that's what seems to make it a really good story.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Alrak

• Wicked Pony of the West
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »
Yep, the fascinating thing about the story is that the line between good and evil is so thin!

I cant post a huge lovely pic of Snow right now but i find him gorgeous!!! <3

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 09:03:19 PM »
I love your avatar, Mandy85 :)

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 03:02:21 AM »
Now that you guys mention it, I definitely agree with you about Cersei. Particularly in the last book, she is really just getting screwed over. I guess it just bothers me, the lengths and means she takes to get what she wants.

Beldarna, you're right about Sandor being such an awesome character. I'm actually on my first reread right now (I read them for the first time just a couple years ago) and Sandor is suuuuch a victim. I hope they make him that way in the show; I feel like they could easily decide to just skip over his character. I know they have to take some stuff out for length but I hope it's not him!! Also, Beldarna do you think he'll be returning to the action in the next books? I know we know where he is, but I wonder if he'll stay there...

I can't believe you haven't read the last book yet!! I can definitely understand wanting all the book to match, but daaaamn what a long time to wait!!

Oh, and Jon Snow is my favorite as well. I think the show has only made me like him more - the actor they chose for him is both close to my age and extreeeemely attractive to me :P

Can you imagine being a woman, supposedly the most powerful in an entire kingdom, and yet the only things you can decide for yourself is what dress you're gonna wear for the day. You cannot come with suggestions out front because people 1, will look at them, realise they're good BUT from a woman, or 2, not even listen. So you have to to it the sneaky way. And when you finally get the power and people DO have to listen, they, since you're a woman, do their own things anyway. You cannot trust anyone and since you don't have the education for handling power if it all goes wrong anyway you'll get doubbled punished for it. I don't envy Cersei one bit, I pity her enormours tho.

I hope they give Sandor a bigger part in the second season, because he deserves it and is a huge part in what's coming. But you'll never know. I will be so dissapointed on Martin if I'll never see him again in the books. It's what I'm longing for the most actually. I have my own little idea of what part he can play in the upcoming history, but knowing Martin, he can as easily be out of the story. That writer know how to keep a person on holster. I want to spank him so hard for that!

Yep I know. I blame it on my ocd.. I could get a card on the library for sure, but they'll always only take in one book in the english section so I imagine the waiting line is ginormous. So far I've been doing good keeping away from any spoilers. It's been a year soon so it should come out in pocket soon. Can't be too long now.

Jon was the fabulous love when he was older than me, and when I was around his age.. but now that I've more than 10 years his age, loving him feels so wrong.. That's why I'm rooting for Sandor. I need one love to keep me going while reading, stupid as it is. It feels soo cheesy writing that out, lol, but that's how it is. ^^

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »
I have a question for anyone who has read the books. How appropriate is the series for an 11-year-old (he'll be 12 next month) to read? I haven't read the books (I'm not really into fantasy at all) but my son wants to read the series over summer break. They have to read so many books per quarter and take these online tests based on the books for school, and there is a test for the first five books, but I think the same system may be used for the older kids, not just the 6th graders.

It's probably above his reading level a bit, but I'm trying to encourage him to read (he doesn't read much because he can't find books he likes) so I was kind of happy when he said the books sound interesting. He pretty much doesn't like most books for kids his age because he says they're boring, so that's why I figured he'd have to go into adult books, but I just wanted to make sure there's nothing too graphic (either too violent or too sexual) before I put the books on his Kindle.

I've pretty much had a problem all along trying to find stuff for him to read since the books I read at his age he won't read (mostly V.C. Andrews books) and my brother is a genius (literally, he was tested) so the stuff he read at his age would be way too far ahead of my son.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal