collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's Talk Game of Thrones  (Read 8512 times)

Offline Alatariel

• Cookie Queen
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Game of Thrones
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2012, 07:34:13 AM »
I'll join in on the lovefest. I had never even heard of the books until the show came out, but after watching a couple episodes I was totally hooked and devoured them all. I just love how complex and detailed all the characters are. I agree with beldarna that Cersei is a tragic character. I hated her at first, but as I kept reading, I just felt sorry for her. She wants so badly to be part of a world that's only accessible to men. The same for Sansa - she started out as a whiny brat, but she's really changed and is one of my favorite characters. Heck I can't pick favorites. I love them all.

5 more days!!!  :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sirithfin and cannibalcow for my avvie and siggy!

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »
Kind of late to post now since this week's round ends tonight unfortunately, but Game of Thrones is losing by 1% to Sons of Anarchy on Hulu's "Best in Show 2012." Please go vote if you can! :)

http://www.hulu.com/bestinshow/2/3

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
oooohh... a little conflicted over that... SOA is like my fav show right now!!!  :P

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2012, 08:27:26 AM »
Oh my goddd I totally realized last night that the premiere of season 2 is this weekend. Squeeee!  :frolic:

Offline Alrak

• Wicked Pony of the West
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2012, 08:56:48 AM »
i dont know what to think about the "different path" the tv series will follow... it would be more... happy? anyway ill see it, of course^^!

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »
i dont know what to think about the "different path" the tv series will follow... it would be more... happy? anyway ill see it, of course^^!

I'm a bit scared about this, too. But Martin has said that he likes it, so I'm going to try to trust his judgement and be hopeful!!

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline Ren-Ren

• Trade Count: (+237)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://renren-1.livejournal.com/
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »
I have a question for anyone who has read the books. How appropriate is the series for an 11-year-old (he'll be 12 next month) to read? I just wanted to make sure there's nothing too graphic (either too violent or too sexual) before I put the books on his Kindle.

Oh wow, I enjoy the books very much and they're very well written, but can't think of anything more inappropriate for an 11/12yo to read. Rape, violence and profanity abound. (I've always joked that there could be a drinking game made for every time rape comes up, heh heh.) And there are some scenes that will scar me forever (like the Unsullied and the puppies! And the Mountain with that 13yo girl >_< ) Anyway, if you're going to let him read them I strongly recommend you read them first like you were considering. 

I enjoyed the Earth's Children series when I was his age (first one is called The Clan of the Cave Bear). I was probably a little too young for it, but it's nowhere near the inappropriateness level of the ASoIaF series. Update: On my way home I remembered that starting with book 2 the EC series actually has some sex scenes which are way more graphic than anything in ASoIaF, but at least it's not, well, sadistic...

@teresat: Ohmygosh I ADORE Brandon Sanderson's books. I often use him to cleanse my soul after reading one of the ASoIaF books ^^; He's like the anti-George RR Martin, LOL.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 07:37:25 PM by Ren-Ren »
Thanks to Calico Star for my siggy! <3 (deleted cause photobucket)
*** My Sales Page*** My Little Pink Pony Loves MMA***

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
@Ren-Ren Haven't read any other Brandon Sanderson (yet) but I followed his blog for a long time before he finished the first of Robert Jordan's WOT series finale books. I was wondering how he would handle Robert Jordan. Wheel of Time wasn't ASOIAF with the rape and pillaging but still it had some sex and Brandon did great! I can't wait to read more.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline Ren-Ren

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »
You definitely should, teresat! My boy ponysona, Venture, (the one in my avatar) is a Brandon Sanderson themed pony, based on his terrific, noble-hearted male characters.   
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:41:15 PM by Ren-Ren »

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
That Brandon Sanderson guy?  Nicest guy in the world, always answers his emails.  I somehow ended up with an advance copy of one of his Alcatraz books and had no idea what it was.  He answered my email about it promptly, explained what it was and how few were released, and was just an overall really nice person.  I totally recommend his Way of Kings, Elantris, and Warbreaker.

But back to GRRM, OMG that's this weekend?!

Offline MLPgal13

• Trade Count: (+123)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Thanks for my Avie Calico <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
Right around the corner!!

My cousin purchased book 1 after watching the first season. She wants to find out what wasn't in the series. I really wish I enjoyed reading more! I know the books MUST be better than the series which doesn't seem possible.

Offline Ren-Ren

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2012, 05:11:16 PM »
If you're not big on reading you may want to try the audiobook and listen to it while you're doing other things. That's what I do these days. You can download the whole series from Audible.com if you don't want to buy the CDs. It's really, totally worth it. 

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
If you're not big on reading you may want to try the audiobook and listen to it while you're doing other things. That's what I do these days. You can download the whole series from Audible.com if you don't want to buy the CDs. It's really, totally worth it. 

Yes I have to second the Audible.com. It's great if you don't have time to sit down and read. There is an Audible.com app for iPod/iPhone/iPad. Audible.com also has abridged and unabridged versions of books.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline Ren-Ren

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »
Yay, another Audible.com fan!  :grouphug: The platinum subscription really is one of the best deals in the whole world, especially if you like listening to looooong books like ASoIaF and WoT.

One weird thing about the ASoIaF audiobooks, though, the first three are read by the same author (Roy Dotrice) then the fourth book is read by someone else (who is still good), then Roy comes back for the 5th but gives everyone different voices than he did before. It's really odd and disappointing... But still worth it!

Offline EienMau

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:12 PM »
I have a question for anyone who has read the books. How appropriate is the series for an 11-year-old (he'll be 12 next month) to read? I just wanted to make sure there's nothing too graphic (either too violent or too sexual) before I put the books on his Kindle.

I enjoyed the Earth's Children series when I was his age (first one is called The Clan of the Cave Bear). I was probably a little too young for it, but it's nowhere near the inappropriateness level of the ASoIaF series. Update: On my way home I remembered that starting with book 2 the EC series actually has some sex scenes which are way more graphic than anything in ASoIaF, but at least it's not, well, sadistic...

Earth's Children has a lot of sex in it. A lot.  And quite a bit of it is.. um.. very descriptive. I don't think it would be appropriate for 11-12 year olds.  Wonderful series, but not for younger readers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal