collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does anyone else feel frustrated with the lack of female directed FIM stuff?  (Read 12589 times)

Flickerswift

• Trade Count: (0)
I think mailing them may just be the way to go. I wonder if a collective email would be helpful? Not complainy, like a petition, but couched in a fun and friendly way, like,

"Dear Welovefine: We love you. We LOVE your awesome array of pony t-shirts...we just wish that more of our favorite designs were available in women's shirts. This would be at least 20% cooler!

We are a group of female My Little Pony fans who would SERIOUSLY consider purchasing your shirts if only the same designs for male tees were available in the girly tee cut (We would not be opposed to camis or tanks, either!). We want to give you our money, we just need clothing that fits. :) Thank you very much for your consideration, and for being all around awesome. We look forward to seeing what you put out next!"

Followed by a list of names (of serious potential buyers). Or, we could all just email individually with a nicely posed request. It may be that they've been hesitant to expand because girly tee sales are poor...which of course is stupid and self-fulfilling, because I expect they're poor because the selection is so bad. :p (well, not BAD...but the shirts I love best are male only. you get what I mean).

I think it would be more effective if everyone sent in their own e-mail instead of trying a group thing. It would get far more attention.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Definitely complain individually!  If the same employees hear the same thing over and over, they will pass it on to their manager and maybe it will get passed up the chain.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Juri

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • The Revolutionary Girl
    • View Profile
YES! If anyone ever finds somewhere that sells decent printed tanks that is not zazzle I will be overjoyed!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
I don't buy any of the t-shirts or anything, but it still makes me mad. MLP was and is meant for girls. GIRLS, people!

MLP was not "made and meant" for girls.  Please note that we have many male collectors here... 

:lmao: Thanks, I needed that laugh! :lmao:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
I don't buy any of the t-shirts or anything, but it still makes me mad. MLP was and is meant for girls. GIRLS, people!

MLP was not "made and meant" for girls.  Please note that we have many male collectors here... 

What color aisle are the MLP toys on, pink or blue? :)

Just because a boy collects baby dolls doesn't mean he's their target audience.

Lon-san

The target audience is little girls. Not boys, not men but not grown women either. If they were only keeping to the target audience then there would be nothing directly specifically at ANY OF US.

What color is the aisle for Pokemon? Around here, they are in the blue aisle. Guess this is a little boys' pink deer plushie.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
The target audience is little girls. Not boys, not men but not grown women either. If they were only keeping to the target audience then there would be nothing directly specifically at ANY OF US.

What color is the aisle for Pokemon? Around here, they are in the blue aisle. Guess this is a little boys' pink deer plushie.

I agree with what you're saying, but I feel that grown women have a MUCH bigger 'right' to the line than grown men do - grown women, at least, very frequently become interested in the line due to childhood nostalgia, or have collected since childhood. Most adult male fans have not. (But a lot have, especially most of the members here on the Arena!) But the line is not being marketed to adults, obviously.

I also always thought Pokemon was supposed to be gender neutral. But of course, they market it to boys especially, because girls are 'allowed' to like boy stuff, but boys are sissies if they like girl things. :rolleyes: And OMG I LOVE THAT LITTLE PINK DEER.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Lon-san

@Snapdragon
I have to disagree.
The fandom is it's own little world. I think people forget that when you step outside of it, a number of people don't think ANY adult has ANY right to My Little Pony. "You collected them as a kid? So what? You're an adult now, get rid of your toys and stop obsessing about a children's show. Hock that stupid green unicorn and buy something grown up."

We are all adults collecting childrens' toys for pleasure. We are all in the same boat. I think it's a bad idea to start deciding which of us as a right to it and who doesn't. I mean, most of the shirts in question aren't even designs from back in the day when we were kids, they are the new show. The toys may live in the pink aisle but the show is suposed to break down barriers about what a "girl show" is and be accessible to more people at the same time.

(OTish)
It's a shame the toy sections end up being so iron clad in some people's minds. I bet there's little girls that aren't much for Pokemon that would go for that deer but their parents won't see it tucked away with the Beyblade. And boys can pick up a sweeeeet red convertible for their action figures over in the sissy pink aisle. Maybe even a tuxedo for sneaking into fancy parties on missions.

(Isn't Deerling cute? I don't follow Pokemon much anymore but they are so cool. That is the Spring form. They change color with the seasons)

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
I buy my pony tees from RedBubble. They aren't official, but their women's tees are made to fit women. If official merch companies want my money, they'll just have to start filling out their stock to fit me.

Lon-san

I buy my pony tees from RedBubble. They aren't official, but their women's tees are made to fit women. If official merch companies want my money, they'll just have to start filling out their stock to fit me.

You might want to add your voice to the letter flood in progress. We Love Fine probably doesn't even realise they could get your money by adding the option. For all they know, you either don't like MLP or you bought a men's fit and are okay with it.
Er, unless you prefer Red Bubble anyway. They do seem to have more colors.

StarLite

Just to throw in my point - WeLoveFine has a comment section under all of their shirts, and they're astonishingly good about replying to any questions/complaints. Just make a small post under X shirt asking when they'll make X shirt in a female size; that's probably the fastest way to get it made.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
(OTish)
It's a shame the toy sections end up being so iron clad in some people's minds. I bet there's little girls that aren't much for Pokemon that would go for that deer but their parents won't see it tucked away with the Beyblade. And boys can pick up a sweeeeet red convertible for their action figures over in the sissy pink aisle. Maybe even a tuxedo for sneaking into fancy parties on missions.

I'm not iron clad about it (in fact I think they're incredibly stupid), if you're referring to me, as I brought it up.

But the fact remains that pink aisles = marketed to GIRLS and blue aisles = marketed to BOYS. That's just how it is, and as much as I dislike it being that way I can't change it. Toys are crazy sexist, and at least Hasbro ("little girls only like pink" as their excuse for pink Celestia and probably more I really would rather not look up) and Lego (have you SEEN the Legos for girls?) are as well. Heck my boyfriend said he remembers store aisles being color coded like that when we were kids and I thought it was a new thing, when I spent tons of time in the toy section as a kid. :P

And again, just because a girl likes a boy marketed towards girls or vice versa that does NOT mean the toy is marketed to the opposite gender.

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
wow  this turned a little crazy.  chill chill chill! LOL :P  love you guys, i get what your talking about with market/target audiences and children.  but i was really only referring to clothing and the outer collector market, not the actual hasbro lines target.   
  i only wanted to vent a little frustration at seeing all these amazing designs but them nbot coming in something that would fit my "petite woman build" i guess u could call it. ;)    plus i like the thinner more breathable fabric of womens shirts as opposed to mens because i have severely sensitive skin due to eczema.    the mens shirts are just so THICK!  and a little more abrasive.   :(       I also really just wanted to know if any one was finding female fim fan made clothes etc. so i could get my little paws on some!!  :)    *hug*   i dont want this to turn into a severe bashing thread of anyone or bronies or men!    im frustrated with the marketing and availability!      i shall write an email to wlf to see if that doesnt help a little.    perhaps suggest a gender option for all designs. 
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
One of my favorite things to do with men's shirts is cut and tie. I do something like this http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/294211765_a135925f6f.jpg but I do it along the sides of the shirt. Really helps get a nice fit and makes it interesting.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile

Random question, how do you feel about the printing quality of Red Bubble? : )

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal