collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Hunger Games  (Read 11576 times)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunger Games
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »
I've never read the books...friends tell me they're good, and I do like darker stories, but I don't know...the story sounds way too much like Battle Royale, and I HATED that entire movie's premise (also haven't read the book though), so I'm kind of skeptical.

Are they really that similar?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:26:37 AM by Elisto »

Sweet_Cicely

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »
I actually read both the hunger games and battle royale. And they might sound similar in context, they are completely different.  Both have swept me off my feet and made me long for more. I always see movies as a nice bonus, but its mostly the books I read again and again and see the movies only once :)
Go read the hunger games, you won't regret it, I promise you!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:04 AM »
Sounds like I should seek out Battle Royale!
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »
I actually read both the hunger games and battle royale. And they might sound similar in context, they are completely different.  Both have swept me off my feet and made me long for more. I always see movies as a nice bonus, but its mostly the books I read again and again and see the movies only once :)
Go read the hunger games, you won't regret it, I promise you!

Yeah, isn't Battle Royale less dystopian? I have no clue, I intend to read it, but I haven't.

The idea for Hunger games is that they have to fight in this arena to feed their friends and family pretty much.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
In Battle Royale, I think the televised fights were some form of controlling the population through fear or something like that. I don't know, at the time that I saw it, I didn't know what I had just watched and definitely wasn't prepared for it. I think it's just left a bad taste in my mouth for the general concept, but since so many people seem so excited about The Hunger Games, I probably should try a little harder to not let that affect my initial opinion of it.

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »
to me it sounds like Bladerunner meets Battle Royale lol, with more emphasis on BR
I'm curious about it because I enjoyed reading the BR manga (have the movie but haven't watched it yet)
but I'm not sure I'm into that theme anymore
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:32:32 AM by Roogna »

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline amenoo

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »
My friend and I have waited for the book the become a movie for three years now and we are SO excited! It's going to be great I just know it!

Adoptable made by me

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 01:15:09 PM »
Not really interested, but a friend is trying to drag me along to see it. Ehh..
I haven't decided if I want to go yet.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

LoftyWings

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 02:48:28 PM »
OK, so something I've realized...as much popularity as these books seem to have, I feel like I'm only hearing it from women. Do guys like the books too? When I got so excited about the premise after seeing the movie trailer and got my copy of the boxset my boyfriend expressed interest in reading the books after I'm done...now that I finished the first one though I'm wondering if he'll really like them. To me it feels so...girly is the wrong word, but it just seems very strongly a female voice and I wonder if guys are finding themselves able to relate to it. He hasn't started reading it yet, and I'm not going to stop him but...it's just something that occurred to me is all.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 05:49:56 PM »
I've heard lots of good reviews of it, not sure if we'll see it or not.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »
OK, so something I've realized...as much popularity as these books seem to have, I feel like I'm only hearing it from women. Do guys like the books too? When I got so excited about the premise after seeing the movie trailer and got my copy of the boxset my boyfriend expressed interest in reading the books after I'm done...now that I finished the first one though I'm wondering if he'll really like them. To me it feels so...girly is the wrong word, but it just seems very strongly a female voice and I wonder if guys are finding themselves able to relate to it. He hasn't started reading it yet, and I'm not going to stop him but...it's just something that occurred to me is all.
It definitely appeals to men too! My brother is a self proclaimed hater of reading (i still don't know how we're related) and this is the first series he's read in years! He actually sat down and read for a whole day once, which is totally unprecedented for him in pretty much his entire life. I have plenty of male friends who have also enjoyed them  ^.^

Offline terabithianprince

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • The last pages are for you
    • View Profile
    • Pony Pals
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 06:54:07 PM »
I'm a guy who likes it :) I love both The Hunger Games and Battle Royale though they have similarities they are quite different. There is 42 I think playing Battle Royale and only 24 playing The Hunger Games. I'm looking forward to seeing this tonight.

SparklersOasis

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 08:11:21 PM »
I was honestly a little skeptical about the whole thing, but a coworker convinced me to read the first book.  A little less than a week later, I had all three books finished and am planning to see the movie! 

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 08:37:41 PM »

Yeah, the friend who wants me to go is a guy. I think he's read all the books.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »
dadsfew it was SOOO GOOOD!  :frolic:  You guys will not be disappointed!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal