collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Today I come out as a doll collector to my family...  (Read 8245 times)

Offline M!ndy

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Today I come out as a doll collector to my family...
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 10:27:08 PM »
Lol.  She does, she's always giving my youngest sister money for cigarettes.  In an average month, I spend less on dolls and ponies combined.

THIS is my exact justification of the money I spend on dolls and ponies - I quit smoking a year ago and took up ponies instead which turns out a little cheaper. Then I quit drinking towards the end of last year and now some of THAT money can be spent on dolls  :biggrin:

Sorry your family isn't supportive... I think you're awesome and very talented with your dolls regardless of anything else  :tackleglomp:

Tuneful: I know right?! Lagoona should have blown their minds with her epic cutness but alas, it wasn't to be. Outright indifference followed by interest at a later time is much better than negativity though ^.^ My Mum was actually a little frightened too but ultimately the simple articulation won her over.
:fox:

Dibbles

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »
I'm glad things went well, Tuney!
My family has always been okay with my ponies and dolls. My mom actually really likes my Monster High dolls and recently helped me choose an outfit for my SS Draculaura. She sees it as "oh, she was really mature when she was five, so she's living this part of her life out now." I don't know if that's it, but either way she's fine with it and never has a problem with me getting new ponies or dolls.

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 12:57:47 PM »
So happy things went well! I was nervously checking this thread all day :blush: The fact that my family and friends have always been super supportive of ponies and other toys really makes me feel extra sorry for those who have to be careful about this stuff.

Anyway, like everyone else said, Tuney - you may be "different" than the people in your family, but you have an awful lot in common with everyone here and we all love you for it :hug:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »
yay so glad it went well for you!

I donno how any one could be frigntened of MH though! LOL  thats just silly .

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 04:04:38 PM »
i, for one, am hella glad you're "different" tuneful! :) i know i've been MIA from here for a long while, but the world could use a couple hundred "different" peeps like you sir! ... though then it'd kinda suck cause you wouldn't be different anymore ... and i'm not a fan of hugging and i'd have to give you all a massive hug ... and that just wouldn't be pretty ... lol

as for your brother ... well ... sometimes different is scary because people don't understand and what they don't understand makes them feel nervous ... my family treats me like the neon green and pink plaid sheep of the family for refusing to wear dresses, not being married to a controlling jerk, and having a bazillion and a half kids that i can't afford running around ... add the ponies and the dollies and the guitars and the action figures and the dvds and antique glass and ginormous movie posters and fishnet shirts and hats covered in pins and ... well you get the point lol with life comes experience and with experience comes the fact that deep down, no matter what, we are all the same, from the fish in the sea to the birds in the air to the cows in the fields to the people collecting ponies and dollies lol

for what it's worth, i accept you, and every "quirk" you have.  given the chance i would give you a handshake, pull you in for a hug, put you in a headlock and give you noogies until you coughed up that dress that ghoulia wore in that gorgeous pic lol i'd be hella proud to have a kid be as awesome as you Tuneful! ... not that i'll ever have kids ... but you get the point lol be you, don't ever stop being you, or the dummieheads have won! lol
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:10 PM »
kaos: What made you change your mind about dolls?

Giant heads. Turns out I just don't like dolls with those puny little heads and superficial stares. I got addicted to Pullips and them MH shortly thereafter.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 10:23:59 PM »
Lol.  She does, she's always giving my youngest sister money for cigarettes.  In an average month, I spend less on dolls and ponies combined.
THIS is my exact justification of the money I spend on dolls and ponies - I quit smoking a year ago and took up ponies instead which turns out a little cheaper. Then I quit drinking towards the end of last year and now some of THAT money can be spent on dolls  :biggrin:
Congrats! ^_^  I've been using grocery money to fund my doll habit.   :shocked:   Good thing I like potatoes lol.

Sorry your family isn't supportive... I think you're awesome and very talented with your dolls regardless of anything else  :tackleglomp:
Thanks!  :tackleglomp: And lol, I love that glomp icon! 

Offline MercuryStar

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Merow?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 12:25:26 AM »
Glad to hear things went well with your family finding out you are a doll collector. :)

My family stopped caring a long time ago.   Occasionally they will have a fit, deciding I have too many things, and throw comments at me asking why I insist on buying frivolous stuff like dolls and ponies.   Never mind my mom went Beanie Baby crazy years ago, and now we have boxes of them in the family room.   

I never really showed them the MH dolls... though my mom did make a casual comment about them when she was in my room one day, mostly just a "I see you bought some dolls" sort of thing.

Most of my collecting has been put on the back burner, anyway... and a lot of stuff is packed away.   Waiting for the day I manage to get a job, and can move out with all my stuff.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:27:24 AM by MercuryStar »

We kill the lights and put on a show/It's all a lie/But you'd never know
The star will shine/And then it will fall/And you will forget it all

EmoKuu

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 06:17:41 AM »
My parents and boyfriend are totally fine with the dolls and the ponies. My friends are okay with the ponies, as some of them are bronies, but I have gotten some questions about the dolls. Like 'Why are you collecting these creepy  things now!" and "Aren't you a bit old for these?". They're welcome to think what they want, but as long as I enjoy them I'll continue to collect.

I have tos ay though, the pace at which MH is moving is getting to be a bit much for me.

creampuf

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 06:21:53 AM »
As bad as it sounds...my family figured that my collecting and customizing of ponies and more recent MH dolls was a result of my nervous breakdown a few years ago.

But they just go with it ^_^

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 07:02:48 AM »
I'm glad it went over well for you! It always bothers me so much when people try to force their opinions on what is right and wrong for their child when it comes to their interests, hobbies and toys. Especially the sports thing... ugh! Everyone is so paranoid about their children's sexual orientation that they manage to really mess up and hurt the child psychologically in other ways in the process. Just let the child be who he or she wants to be and explore what they want to. I agree, as long as it's not going to hurt them or get them killed let them do it. :)

My mom probably thought I'd gone off the deep end when I bought BJDs. XD I'm not so much obsessively into mine anymore since I moved out and got married. But I still have them around, change their outfits and pose once in awhile and take one or two to a convention.

She knew I'd gotten into ponies and looked for some at the flea market for me. Bought me some G3's. XD  Also got me ponies for Christmas.

She likes my MH dolls. She bought me Home Ick Frankie for Christmas as well. My husband got a Lego set from them. So they're pretty well aware that we love toys and are supportive of it.  She actually really wants 1600 Draculuara after I showed her mine. Maybe if there's a sale on them, I'll pick one up for her. XD
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:05:30 AM by tehrin »

(also click for my sales here. :3)

Offline Alatariel

• Cookie Queen
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 08:52:07 AM »
I'm glad to hear it went well, tuney! Your parents need to accept and love you for who you are. Moms are usually more accepting about stuff like that. (I know my mom is! My dad thinks it's a waste of money.) It's what makes you happy, and you're a great person. :)

Thanks to Sirithfin and cannibalcow for my avvie and siggy!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 11:57:37 AM »
Such sweet words everyone! I'd love to address you each individually, but I'm on my iPhone and (don't tell!) at work!

I should hasten to add that, overall, my family has never made a serious issue about my collecting. That being said, they've never seen the WHOLE collection. I'm quite sure that they'd be more accepting of me collecting harmless toys than me being gay, which they don't know. Well, they don't know officially. But I think they know inside. They have to. I recently discovered that a few months back my dad, while paying a visit, had seen my sexy Firefighters of New Zealand calender that Loa sent me. There are a lot of things, too, but they're probably too afraid to say anything because saying it aloud will make it real.

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 04:56:56 PM »
you know what? if things go to crap there, i've got a bedroom for rent, a toy room that neds filling, dolls that need some serious stylin, and a cat that claims he needs more attention ... MAKE IT SO SIR! lol

... as long as you share the calendar that is ... lmao

but ye gods, i thought my fam was bad :\ if there's one thing i can't stand it's judgemental people ... as hypocritical as that sounds lol you take care of yourself, and i mean that deario!
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
Oh kam, don't worry! I don't LIVE with them!!! BAHAHA! I've lived on my own for several years, thank goodness. I've had a very interesting life being raised by Jehovah's Witnesses, but that part of my life is over. Besides, I'd TOTALLY steal all your dolls and ponies if I lived with you. hehehehe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal