collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Today I come out as a doll collector to my family...  (Read 8290 times)

Offline Mad-March

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Today I come out as a doll collector to my family...
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »
My mother already knows me as being rather odd compared to other kids my age, and has gracefully taken my obsession with cosplaying, anime conventions, ponies, etc already, so when I told her I got one of those 'expensive japanese dolls' she was pretty excited to see it. She doesn't quite know about my growing collection of nude monster high dolls in pieces and strewn about, but I'm sure she won't react to them any differently than all my OTHER toys :P

Sweet_Cicely

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »
My mom acts like everything is fine, but I know she doesn't really like my collecting hobby. She tells everyone that asks about my ponies, that I have them to be able to sell them for more later on. I hate to burst my moms bubble haha, but my g3 collection is worth less then what I bought it for ;) she really doesnt get my dolls, thinks my pullips are creepy and monster high hooker dolls. Oh well, I still like to show her pictures of dolls I might want someday. Hoping that one day she'll accept that this "crazy" hobby makes her daughter happy :)
I hope your "mh coming out" went well :) remember it's your life though, of course it adds to the fun if people accept and even support your hobby, but in the end they have their own lifes to fill (and can do that totally dolly free :P )and you can fill yours the way that makes you happy.

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 02:05:02 PM »
Only my little sister knows I've started collecting dolls.  I think she's the only one that would really understand.  But I'm not planning on going to my other family members and telling them.  If they come over and see, I'll be honest.  But it's not that big of a deal to me.  The only person who's opinion matters to me is my fiance's, and he supports my hobby.  My family does know I collect and customize ponies, tho I'm not sure they understand the extent.  My mom has seen my collection (it's displayed proudly where all can see, even people walking by) and has commented, but doesn't really seem to care either way.

The one thing that did bug me was related to your barbie/ken story, tuney.  My older sister found out that my 7 year old son likes to watch the new mlp series with me, and she had this look and made remarks like it was wrong for a boy to like something girly.  I thought she wasn't that type.  There's nothing wrong with a boy playing with girl toys, I think it's a dumb double standard that girls can play with a GI Joe and not be considered odd, but a boy can't play with a pony.  I let my son play with my G4s all the time, he loves the carousel and the carriage (His favorite character is miss super pink herself, Pinkie Pie lol).   I even let him hold and play with my Alice when I got her yesterday (he didn't play for long, I had warned him she's fragile and he decided that was boring lol)

I hope it goes well, tho.  If they were accepting of your ponies, I would hope they are just as accepting of your mh dolls as well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:06:43 PM by Prismatic »

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
They're on their way over now. The MH are on display on the fireplace mantle in my bedroom, but I'm sure my mom will go poking around in there...

I intend to reply to each and every one of you later tonight!

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 03:32:53 PM »
good luck! I hope it goes well. 

My family  takes my collecting OK.. the younger kids in the family think its awesome LOL

But some  of the older folks think it is a bit ODD until i mention value of some ponies or dolls..
then they are like OH wow really?   I think  some of them are just jealous that they can't allow them selves to  collect cool stuff like dollies and ponies  :P

I don't really care what they think though , all that matters  is that you enjoy your hobby!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:34:36 PM by mistic_imp »

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »
My mom laughed when she found out I liked them (I love old horror movies, so she wasn't too surprised) and she thinks the skeleton CAM and I are quite similar ^^ (I dress up as the grim reaper every Halloween) My dad is very blah about my collections (ponies, my tiny MH collection and my soon to be BJDs), but I cannot expect him to be interested in everything I am ^^

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 05:36:48 PM »
Hope it goes well!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »
But some  of the older folks think it is a bit ODD until i mention value of some ponies or dolls..
then they are like OH wow really? 

Lol, I've had that happen too.  When I've told people what some of my ponies are worth, they suddenly don't think it's such a bad idea after all.

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 06:21:33 PM »
Good luck!! I quit caring what people think a long time ago, and the people I love don't care what I collect... I am sure it will go fine!!!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 06:35:54 PM »
Only my mom saw my MH. She gasped when she saw them and said, "Aren't you frightened? How do you sleep at night?" She was actually frightened by them! She liked Toralei best, and I showed her how Gil's hands had webbing and how Spectra's limbs were translucent. I was very casual about it all.

kerry: Four MH? You need more!

fiwen: Looks like you and the man have a mutual understanding. Ha!

Sara: That's sweet that your mom is remorseful. Wish my mom was!

M!indy: How could they not be impressed by Lagoona? UGH!!!!

Vert: What does the bf have against ponies?

kaos: What made you change your mind about dolls?

Foxtale: Yeah, poor Barbie and Ken are probably under some land fill now. Ken is probably still in drag.

SweetScoops: How do you limit to yourself to 100 and 15? That's some serious self control.

bewilderness: Sorry your mom isn't more supportive. I bet she wastes her money on something, too! Throw that in her face! hehe

kamakazee: Thanks for the encouragement. Before my parents and brother came over, I was feeling so down that I almost decided to put the MH away. My brother has been jokingly been calling me, well, slurs, and then he revealed that my mom had said to him how I'm "different". It just hurt. But we had a nice time tonight at dinner and there were no hurt feelings, so I'm in a slightly better state of mind at this point. I don't think my mom meant anything bad by calling me different (it's true), but the way my brother has been treating me for no reason is really upsetting to me. I've told him how I feel on multiple occasions, but he just doesn't seem to get it. Overall, they've never really given me any serious flack about my collection, but I know they must talk about how weird I am behind my back....I can just feel it...

Yellow: What's their beef with ponies?

Mad: Your mom sounds AWESOME.

Sweet: Yeah, my family sometimes tells people that my ponies are worth money and that I sell them for a lot. ha! I biy 100x more than I sell. Maybe even 1000x!

Pris: I think it's awesome that you're letting your son play with toys he wants to play with. Let's face it, he's going to do what he wants to when he grows up anyway. So if it's not harmful, why stifle him? I was raised in a rather conservative religion, and I remember once at a congregation picnic a man was trying to get his nephew to stop playing with toy horses and animals, and the guy tried mercilessly to get the kid to play sports with him when the poor boy didn't want to. Adults are sometimes worse than kids picking on you. In second grade, my teacher used to force me to play kickball with the boys when I tried to play on the jungle gym with the girls. I guess that was her way of "making me right", trying to make sure I didn't end up as some gay sissy or anything. Well, guess what, lady? I ended up gay anyway, AND I collect ponies AND dolls. Kiss. My. Butt! To sum up my feelings, Pris, I think you're an awesome open-minded mom and please keep doing what you're doing!

mistic: Aww, the kids looking up to you. Love it.

WP: You and the skeleton are similar?! Explanation, please!

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »
 XD I am slight, but it is all because of my yearly halloween costume. I plan on giving her a slight repaint, a full rehair, and a little cloak. Let me see if I have any good pictures...
*edit* Here you go ^^

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:47:30 PM by WeepingPiano »

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 07:28:24 PM »
 :hug: Huggles Tuney! I agree that what matters is that your dollies and ponies make you happy. It would be lovely if your family were more supportive, but even if they're not, mustn't let their shortsighted views get you down. I think you're wonderful!

I've been quite lucky. My boyfriend was very accepting, he buys me new dollies and helps me hunt for them all the time. My Mom thought it was kind of peculiar to be buying me dolls for my birthday at 23, but she understands my love of classic monsters and thinks the Monster High dolls are super neat. I was actually really touched when she mentioned on the phone that she'd checked to see if her Walmart had any dolls in stock when she was there buying groceries. I'd still be a little nervous of telling new people about my hobby... but I just have to take my own advice and be proud of whatever it is I love.

WP, I love your costume! :D

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 07:35:54 PM »
it was my freshman year of college when I got my first doll, a pullip.
It wasn't really that big of a deal, if I can remember. Just another toy to collect.

I bought my first pullip with birthday money and had her shipped to my parents house. I can't really remember their reaction - it was a few years ago now.  I think both my parents were just like "wtf... that's... interesting..."  and just kinda left it at that.

They had the same reaction to every doll I've gotten into.

I try to keep my parents as oblivious to my dolls as I can. IE:I think my mom thinks my "expensive dolls" cap at around 200$ and I have maybe 5.  They cap around 1000, and I have 17 now?  8D we're just not going to say anything.

That being said, both my parents are really impressed with my photography *thumbs up*

As far as the rest of the world, I pretty much outright say "yeah I have dolls" *shows them phone background* (my phone is almost always one of the dolls, right now it's Ashley)  I've found that most people, who's opinions are worth caring about, think it's awesome.

Offline Psivampyr

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 09:08:21 PM »
Tuneful87, I am so glad that it was a positive reaction with your family. Your mother sounds like my mother-in-law. She's pretty much against anything Halloween or on the frightful side. But yanno, if something makes you happy and it's not effecting others in a harmful manner, do it! I would love to see the display on your mantle if you have a way to take a pic. Having a fireplace in your bedroom sounds like a real nice thing to have in the winter.

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »
bewilderness: Sorry your mom isn't more supportive. I bet she wastes her money on something, too! Throw that in her face! hehe
Lol.  She does, she's always giving my youngest sister money for cigarettes.  In an average month, I spend less on dolls and ponies combined.
I'm glad things went well today with your family.
Most of my family hasn't been very supportive about me being trans.  My mom's already told me she thinks I'm going to hell and my youngest sister makes rude comments.  My aunt and uncle that I was closest to growing up have been very distant since my mom told them.  My other sister thankfully has been great.    I still haven't told them about being bi,though, I guess one thing at a time lol.  I think my mom's still hoping I'm just going through a phase.

@WeepingPiano, your costume is awesome!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal