collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Today I come out as a doll collector to my family...  (Read 8246 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Today I come out as a doll collector to my family...
« on: March 04, 2012, 05:27:07 AM »
I posted this on the main MH thread, but nobody noticed, so I decided to make it a thread of its own.

Today is a big day for me. It took me a long time to come out to my immediate family about my pony collecting, and today I've decided it's time to introduce them to Monster High. I'm going to put a few dolls on display - Clawd, Gil, Frankie, Clawdeen, and probably Abbey, Toralei, and Ghoulia as well. Honestly, they shouldn't be surprised. I was playing with Barbie and Ken at a young age. That is, until mom threw Barbie away but told me she was "away in Africa on a missionary trip." Ken remained a while longer, until I started dressing him in drag. So really, they have no reason to freak out. HA!

How did your family react when you started collecting dolls in addition to ponies?

Offline kerry483

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://kerry483.deviantart.com
Re: Today I come out as a doll collector to my family...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:30:42 AM »
My Mum didn't care, seeing as I loved and collected bratz dolls as a kid.
Honestly, she was more surprised when I came home with 4 g3's that a friend gave me, and announced I was collecting ponies. Almost a year later, my ponies are up to 75+ and my monster high is up to 4 :)

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 05:31:01 AM »
Oh crumbs, I laughed so hard at Missionary Barbie xD

My ponies have always been around since I was a kid, noone's come accross my MH, and my Mum doesn't take much notice of my Pullips. Hoping to get a BJD soon though, which could take some explaining to my fiance... He doesn't really 'get' the doll thing, though I don't 'get' his computer/gameing thing either!
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:14:59 AM »
I guess I am lucky, I never really had to "come out" or tell my mom about it. I had a lot of toys when I was a kid which I love alot, but my mom assumed I would grow out of them and to make more space she donated most of them. Several years later when I was a young teen (after a huge anime obsession) I got into ponies again, I guess because of nostalgia, and asked my mom to help drive me to garage sales etc to look for ponies. She never seemed surprised by it, and even said she felt so bad for getting rid of my childhood collection.

Since then she's been supportive of me through my huge BJD obsession and the thousands I spent on that, then I was not collecting for awhile but now that I'm back into it (in addition to MH dolls) she still supports me on it, though she often reminds me to stop spending money haha.

Besides her, my dad knows and sometimes he asks questions about what I've been buying finding recently. If I had to introduce my doll and pony collecting to my grandparents, I think I would just show them a few and tell them its how I spend my free time (I showed one Super Dollfie to my paternal grandma but she didn't really care either way haha) Since they never come in my room I don't think I would bother saying how many I have or how much I've spent. Especially on BJD... haha!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline M!ndy

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:17:37 AM »
So much gets missed in the MH thread  :shocked:

It's so cute that your way of showing them is to put them out on display  ^.^ How did it go??

I was actually a little more shy about my doll collecting compared to when I actively started collecting ponies. I don't know why - my parents were always really involved with me and my toys and they we're so excited for me when I started seeking out ponies  :biggrin:

With MH though, they had stopped in to pick me up for a family thing and I had just gotten my Lagoona and was like "Hey! Check it out, my new doll is totally articulated and stuff!" they pretty much looked at me and said "Cool. Now lets go." A few months ago I went to visit my parents and took who ever my latest addition was at the time, Mum was pretty excited to have a play and a pose... I on the other hand was freaking out that she was going to break it telling her to be gentle. I took it off her before she could do any damage  ;) lol
:fox:

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 06:34:19 AM »
My mom wasn't surprised. Both my Aunt and Grandma made and collected porcelain dolls when I was little so I came by it naturally. They both had huge cabinets filled with dolls from around the world and ones they had created.

My finance was more than thrilled when I gave up ponies for Dals. The Blythe freak him out a bit, but he's a good sport about it. He adores my BJD though and will help me pose them and the Dals. :

I hope everything went well with coming out. I love your story about missionary Barbie. ;)

FlyingPonyMonster

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:03:12 AM »
How did they react? Fingers crossed for you xx

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 07:15:57 AM »
My mom thought I was insane. Not because I was collecting a toy, as I've done that my whole life, but because it was DOLLS. I'd hated dolls since I was little. Now I have bunches. Go figure. After a while when I was still buying them, she got used to it and even bought me some for my birthday. And now she sends money for holidays and seems excited to see which one I pick out.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:03:48 AM »
Congrats on telling them about your doll collection (or good luck depending on when you read this post :P). I lol'd at missionary Barbie by the way. I'm so sorry it had to be that way. At least you can make up for it now... in style! :D

I never really had to come out and tell my family since I just never stopped buying dolls and toys. There wasn't a gap in the toy buying child age and the adult collector :P
~Foxtale~

Offline SweetScoops

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:25:11 AM »
How did they react? well I hope! :)
Well... I started collect MH's October 2010. Litterally before they even where out on the shelves. I saw the thread in the dollhouse and decided when I saw Lagoona. I was caught.
At this time I was moving in together in a new appartment with my fianceƩ. And he did'nt think twice about it. He aldready knew about the ponies (which at this point lived at his place, neatly displayed next to his computer.)
and I got him inte collecting Lego too X) The rest of my family have always been super supportive about my pony collection.They always keep an eye out on flea markets for me :) I have never made any fuss about any of my collections, and that seem to rub off on my family :) It's just no big deal.... on the other hand I've always limited the number of ponies and dolls in my collection. Maximum 100 ponies and 15 dolls. So my collections have never been overwhelming.
Best of luck to all of you coming out with your collections! :) <3

Edit: I'm a little bit confused however. I do think my family likes the ponies more than my MH's.. Maybe because I'm the only one in my family that loves horror movies, monsters and such. I've just never gotten the "Oh how cute!" for the dolls XP
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:27:55 AM by SweetScoops »
One is loved because one is loved, no reason is needed for loving - Coelho.

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 08:30:20 AM »
My mom thought I was insane. Not because I was collecting a toy, as I've done that my whole life, but because it was DOLLS. I'd hated dolls since I was little. Now I have bunches. Go figure. After a while when I was still buying them, she got used to it and even bought me some for my birthday. And now she sends money for holidays and seems excited to see which one I pick out.

I think this is what my family will think.  LOL   I've always hated dolls, but I really love these MH girls!

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »
I hope it goes well for you.  My mom thinks my doll collecting is a huge waste of money.

Congrats on telling them about your doll collection (or good luck depending on when you read this post :P ). I lol'd at missionary Barbie by the way. I'm so sorry it had to be that way. At least you can make up for it now... in style! :D
Very true!  One of the best things about being an adult--being able to buy the toys you want.  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:40:38 AM by bewilderness »

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
... life is too short to give half an ounce of energy to what other people think ... i learned that lesson the hard way a couple of times lol

i've collected ponies since they were first created (big blinky i called her then and still call her now lol) and they have been with me ever since ... if someone is offended by a piece of pastel plastic int he shape of a horse or in the shape of a doll, forget it, i don't need their negativity because what i collect and what they collect are all the same when it comes down to it ... it makes us all happy or we wouldn't collect it ...

i remember when my mom first saw my hutch filled with my ponies on display and she gasped and was so ashamed and embarrassed by it ... and i asked why my ponies were any different than her precious moments or her glass butter dishes, or her glass punch bowl/snack tray sets ... they are pretty, they make us smile, and help us get through the bad days ...

why should what, or even who, we love make ANY difference to how others see us? i might not enjoy precious moments, but i love that my mom loves them, i might not understand the whole butter dish/punch bowl/snack tray thing, but i can appreciate that they are beautiful when all lit up by the display case ...

if they have issue with anything you collect Tuney, that is THEIR issue because they are the ones who are uptight and closed minded.  the people that really matter will accept everything about those they care for, even if they don't always understand :) *hug*

i really hope everything goes okay though, i will keep you in my thoughts and keep my fingers crossed.
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

YellowCat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »
My family doesn't really care.  My mom has always had porcelain dolls and my great aunt used to make her own porcelain dolls, so no one ever really thought anything of it.  Plus, I still have dolls left over from when I was little.  In fact my family has always had more of a problem with ponies.

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »
My mom is always supportive of pretty much everything that I do, so she doesn't mind that I collect dolls or ponies. Her best friend collects MH too, and it was she who got me my first MH doll. ^^

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal