collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why factory curls?  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Sumire

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Why factory curls?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
I don't mind re-curled ponies but for ponies like Rainbow Curl and Candy Cane if the factory curl is totally gone then you have a mess on your hands trying to get the correct colour separation again.  If a fellow fan took the time to carefully separate every hair and re-curl correctly, I personally would like that just as much as factory curls.
If wishes were horses, they'd be My Little Ponies.
Thanks to moonflower for my adorable adoptable!

Glitzy Gems

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »
Interesting opinions, everyone!  :P

RedSH

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 12:33:23 PM »
This is an interesting topic!

Me? I don't really get the factory curl thing. I'm not sure I'd know if it was a factory curl or if it was something somebody had created in the many years that have passed since.

Just a musing but what about ponies that do have the original curls though...
What do you do if you get a pony with fabulous factory curls but it has a dirty body? Do you not feel like the hair should be cleaned because if the body is that dirty then surely the hair would be too?
Or is it simply that a 30 year old pony that has managed to retain its factory curl is most likely to have less play dirt altogether?

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 12:35:14 PM »
I don't like factory curl unless its candy cane ponies.... However if I receive a pony with factory curls I keep them as is because if I sell it I know I'll get more money for it.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 12:53:27 PM »
Hmmm.. I have Blue Berry Baskets with her factory curl..its a bit loose Should I tighten it? Or just leave it be? It doesn't look bad just barely messy..
:accomplished:

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Blythe plastic surgeon =^-^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
I like the look of them but prefer straight hair, it's much better to handle. I have a thing about washing all my ponies though, they don't feel truly mine if I don't wash them. But two of my ponies lost some of the curl even though I was super careful. That upset me, so I would rather want ponies who already lost their curl than risk ruining it :(.

Blythe customising blog, commissions open: http://beesdreamland.com/

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
I usually prefer straight hair on ponies but good crap, a pony with MINT factory curl is always just stunning!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »
I love factory curls as long as they're not real messy :) If the hair is messy and frizzy then I have no problem restyling/recurling :) I want to enjoy the pony I look at and if the factory curls are a mess then I won't enjoy looking at her. Same as rehaired ponies. I like to have original hair, but if the hair is chopped up then rehair that baby! I think the look of the pony is sometimes more important than having it completely original :)
My Wish List

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 03:08:58 PM »
I think the reason its important to some collectors, is the very nature of "mint" ponies - in many ways that means what the pony is like fresh out of the packaging so with ponies which had curly hair this means they should have factory curls.

I prefer minty ponies, as close to their original condition as possible - therefore I like factory curls and I ll happily upgrade a pony with straight or re curled hair to one in similar body condition but with curls.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
I like how they bring you back... I didn't think  much about it until I saw a Sparkler with Factory curls... I loved her hair when I first got her as a kid, she's down to a wave now so I can see the appeal of seeing/having something that is like it was fresh off the card!

For ponies I didn't have as a kid, it's not make or break for me as I also want to brush them and worry about decreasing the value by frizzing the hair!

I like re-curled hair too... glad I have you peeps to teach me how to do it just right!

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 04:01:49 PM »
I love factory curls - if they still look clean and pretty. If I have a pony that is supposed to have curls, then I will curl her hair again.

The bad thing is.. I suck at making curls, I really need to learn how to do it.  :lol:

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 04:10:10 PM »
I love the factory curls on the ponies with ringlets, but factory curl on the shorter maned ponies just doesn't do it for me, and I tend to go for restores in those ponies, and style them however I want. There's something about restoring that just makes me bond with those ponies better! I love factory curls on baby ponies, though. I have a few of the really little girls with factory curls and they're sooo cute!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 05:51:01 PM »
I have a thing about washing all my ponies though, they don't feel truly mine if I don't wash them.

I'm the same way. After reading some horror stories, I always open up my G1s to make sure that there are no hidden issues like rust or mold. I like to catch them early so they aren't a problem later, and I always feel that when I do I'm "rescuing" them.

from1981

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
I like factory curl, had a Windy with it & I sold all my Windys & now I can't find another one with as much curl. I have a Fair weather who used to have more curl than he does now, yes, really & He was bought in the store MIB by me & nobody believed me, but I bought a matte Serendipity from my besty here & she told me his curly hair came out of the box that way, it happens.

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »
I like ponies with tidy hair.  If a pony has messy factory curls, I have no qualms about restyling it.  I have some ponies with factory curls but I don't go out of my way to find them.  I'm just as happy with tidy, straight hair.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal