collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How do you keep warm in the winter?

My home has radiators
95 (14.4%)
My home has portable space heaters
55 (8.3%)
My home has a fireplace
63 (9.5%)
My home has forced air heat (furnace)
133 (20.1%)
I have to go somewhere warm
4 (0.6%)
I have to suffer through the cold
28 (4.2%)
It doesn't get cold enough, so not an issue
40 (6%)
I just use the oven
7 (1.1%)
Lots of layers
145 (21.9%)
Electric blanket
35 (5.3%)
Extra insulation on my house
21 (3.2%)
Other
36 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Walking through the winter wonderland  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
Re: Walking through the winter wonderland
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 02:10:28 AM »
I grew up in the desert and I HATE hot weather. I wish I was a perpetually cold person so I could wear layers all of the time. I always feel like I am so hot (not in the way I'd like to be hot ;) ).

We do live in a very mild climate in both summer and winter. I feel really blessed. We have a stupid oil heater that we try not to use except in the super cold days. Other than that we have a wood stove and some space heaters. And cats.

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 02:22:27 AM »
We have central heating and air.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2014, 03:55:52 AM »
Wait..we can pick only 3 options?! :blink:  :shocked:  :whoa:
I loved winter when I was younger but I dont do cold anymore (Raynauds/dodgy circulation- bleh! ) .

Our house has central heating/ radiators, a fire, insulation, an extra heater ot two, about a zillion blankets , duvets, fleeces, I've used the oven(s), and the gas rings... hot drinks (preferably laced with something strong ! ) ,  hot water bottles ..oh and  hubby and kitties are useful too :P  and I've been known to waddle around (literally when you're wearing 6 pairs of trousers and as many pairs of tights with leggings and multiple pairs of socks you cant help but waddle no matter how thin you might be really) in 10 layers+ (and be completely unrecognizable as a result - actually that has its advantages.... :ninja:  )

Not that the cold bothers me of course :bateyes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 06:39:28 AM »
I am not a big fan of cold either. I really hate it when I get up in the morning for work and its till dark outside and its COLD! I have to be up at 5am! :(

I do have forced air in my house. We also put plastic on the windows to help a little bit. And use lots of blankets and layers of clothes. I have two small cheap windows that were put in my bathroom and kitchen when the house were built in 2001. Those two are really bad in the winter time :( I hope to replace them in the next few years.

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 07:04:13 AM »
We (like almost every other UK house) have central heating/radiators. Ours is oil-fired, which goes on 3 times a day for a few hours at a time in the depths of winter. That, plus thick socks, an extra jumper and blankets of the bed gets us through!
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 07:58:05 AM »
I also was born in Southern California. Then I moved up to Canada big culture shock there. The weather isnt very friendly if your not used to it. I just bundle up with a blanket in winter. I have warm quilts that I use on the bed. Just imagine my side of the bed piled high with blankets and the other side with just one or two. ><: I also wear socks to bed and sometimes double socks. I also have to protect my ears from the cold because I get headaches if they get too cold. we live mostly in a very warm basement for now so usually if its not too bad but its very cold at night and then I wake up sweating in the morning. I really can't win.

Offline moonsugar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • my Tumblr blog (may occasionally contain adult content)
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 08:11:32 AM »
Although I'm confused by the poll options... What is a radiator, forced air heat (furnace)? We have always just referred to what we have as a 'heater'.

I was confused about this as well- the only reason I know what space heat is is because it's a setting on our normal heater! I hear every kind of heater under the sun just referred to as a "heater" where I'm from, with no care to distinguish between the different kinds.
:fox:

Offline Wrenniepooh

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Wrens Nest Creations
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 08:12:23 AM »
We have forced air furnace, but we keep the thermostat set between 58*F and 62*F in winter. The end of the house with the living room is an addition with thinner walls than the rest of the building, so we have a portable oil-filled radiator heater we can move from room to room for added heat. Hoodies and lap blankets abound.

I have problems with circulation in my extremities in the winter when it gets so cold (Wisconsin) so I also take fish oil supplements during the cold months to help with that. Makes me bruise like an overripe peach, but it helps my fingers from going so numb with cold when I'm sitting still.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:17:23 AM by Wrenniepooh »

Offline Roccoriel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 08:56:33 AM »
Layers, furnace, and snuggling with my hubby and (hopefully) our future puppy :)

I am hoping someday to have a house with a fireplace, too, since I love visiting friends and family who have them!

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2014, 10:14:49 AM »
We have central heating in our house, as well as a fireplace.  It doesn't snow here in the winter, but it does get chilly.  Most of the time I wear layers to save on electricity during the day, but we turn it on at night for the cold snaps.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
My apartment has radiators, but the heater in the building is never turned on until midoctober so I freeze a lot early fall. Heat is part of the rent and nothing we pay extra for so I have the radiators turned to max. I dress in layers, have wintercovers in the bed, lots of blankets, knitted woolsocks, rice pillows and I use the shower alot as the water get warm enough for the steam to start the fire alarm. I drink up to 12 cups of tea a day and also snuggle up to my boyfriend as he's naturally warm all the time, he's like a walking radiator so hugging him is a great way to keep warm.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2014, 10:21:54 AM »
Sorry if my options are confusing. I'm not familiar with all the versions of indoor heating and was trying to come up with whatever I could think of or references I could find online. ^^;

It would have been funny to put "igloo" up there, though. :P
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 10:42:02 AM »
o.0 SDS, you post this on the hottest day of the year? *melts and dies from inability to breathe due to humidity and heat*

When its really cold out, I just cover myself in tons of throws and blankets though I burn up really easy so its a fine balance to get it so im not going insane.

We do have central heating and ill also sometimes make tea :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »
Heated floors, yep can I visit your house? Actually going to Finland is on my "bucket list".
I love fall and winter plus cooler weather. My body is preset to "cold" so I have to double up on the blankets,layers, and run the heater.

You are welcomed to enjoy our floors whenever you wish, but prepare to share with some furry friends who also love them :biggrin:

Offline ElenaCordon

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2014, 12:22:45 PM »
Cold? Winter? I don't really know what's that  :lol:
I'm from the very south of Spain so cold weather in here is really easy to deal with. Lots of blankets at night and sometimes a heater during the day.
Unfortunately, I love cold, maybe because is so unusual in Córdoba  >_<

Post Merge: August 26, 2014, 12:24:38 PM

My apartment has radiators, but the heater in the building is never turned on until midoctober so I freeze a lot early fall. Heat is part of the rent and nothing we pay extra for so I have the radiators turned to max. I dress in layers, have wintercovers in the bed, lots of blankets, knitted woolsocks, rice pillows and I use the shower alot as the water get warm enough for the steam to start the fire alarm. I drink up to 12 cups of tea a day and also snuggle up to my boyfriend as he's naturally warm all the time, he's like a walking radiator so hugging him is a great way to keep warm.

Hahahah, having a walking radiator as boyfriend is one of the best ways to keep warn  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:24:38 PM by ElenaCordon »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal