collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High returns again!  (Read 50316 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Ah, Haunted! That's right. I'm genuinely terrible remembering 99% of the lines by their actual names in any generation MH xD. Thanks for the correct :)

(re the Jems, this is very out of date now as I have reorganised them a bit and put some away to make room for some of the IT dolls, but this is the kind of thing...)
http://www.etherella.com/photoshoot/

That's interesting on Ghoulia's box. I'm not a fan of her being verbal, but I'm now wondering what they're pitching her character at and whether this relates.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I think Lala looks weird because of her bangs. They are much too long… I’m toying with the idea of trimming them. I saw someone cut them into normal bangs- I like the widow’s peak, but it did look very good. Actually, I pushed her bangs out of the way and she is STUNNING without them, omg. It changes her face entirely. I like both ways but do feel the bangs hinder her natural beauty- I’ll take a pic if anyone’s interested!

Also, MASCARAH I TOTALLY REMEMBER YOU!!
I was… Esbayne on the MHArena! XD
I miss it so much too.

I watched that live action movie tonight because it premiered and I was morbidly (hah) curious.

……….uh.

………
Frankie was adorable. I love their new character.
Abbey had a cute costume.
The…. Cuckoo clock was cool.

…………….
That’s all I have that’s good to say.

I’m interested in seeing a pic of Lala without bangs in the way, Esbayne! :hug:

I think I might try the movie but I’m super skeptical.

I ordered Clawdeen from Amazon, and she arrived last night with a MAJOR case of eye wonk. One of her eyes spread down to her cheek. I was like, “Oh no, here we go again.”  >_< Needless to say, I’m doing an exchange.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
That's interesting re: the Ghoulia donation thing, it's a nice idea too. Very curious to see what direction they take her in this time.

I like the idea of Ebbie being Finn's sister much better than her being Lagoona's :)

and YES that's where my mind went for Frankie's hat too XD I'm so glad it's not just me thinking it, haha.

I agree the Nefera thing is a pun rather than literal (or - no - it IS literal - ahhh, you know what I mean :lmao:). I'm excited to see Nefera, I hope they don't mess her up... she was one of my favourites. her dolls were always gorgeous.

I'm afraid to look into the movie, from what I've heard of it XD

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
It confuses me that if Nefera isn't an antagonist, Toralei isn't an antagonist, Manny isn't an insufferable jerk ... who are the ghouls against? What's the story? I mean, the animated series/movies had differing threats that were usually other monsters or inter-ghoul drama. Even when Toralei wasn't a direct antagonist, she was still annoying the heck out of the other ghouls (see: Scaris). A couple were originally either enemies or suspicious until they showed their true colours or misunderstandings were cleared up (Cleo, Abbey, Operetta).

I'm saying that only because Toralei isn't showing signs of being one atm, I might be wrong. Just seems like it's all buddy-buddy, when original MH was a little more catty (lol) than that. Where's our token bad-girl ghoul?

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Nefera's description is a bit vague to tell if she's still an antagonist or not. I hope she is.

Toralei I'm not sure about... her expression makes me think she's still meant to be at least "less nice" than the others. I haven't been really keeping up with the cartoon info though so I don't know if they've said otherwise.

Manny being made into a bookish nerd though is just baffling.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Lol no prob Taffeta, I totally get them mixed up sometimes too! XD There’s soo many lines through the gens now, and some were so similar! Haunted had a pirate in it, and Shriekwrecked sounds so ghosty!

I love your Jem collection! I never knew there were spinoffs & Mexican ones either!

As for Ghoulia’s personality, she really doesn’t have much of one anymore.
She had about 4 appearances in the movie- One where she huffs about someone saying “our best lives” to get them to say “and undeaths” or something like that, one where she obnoxiously shrieks and cackles to Clawdeen telling her to ask the school itself questions (There are SEVERAL things they definitely yoinked from Harry Potter- One of those things is the school being “alive” and can move around like the room of requirement. When it happens it looks very much the same. Seriously, if you watch it, try to keep an eye out for all the things that are pretty much HP to a T, lol. I can think of 4 things off the top of my head that were very obvious), and two where she groans and makes some snarky comment from her “bed,” aka a grave in the graveyard. Even her doll description is very basic compared to the other ghouls, she’s basically just a “gamer gurl” and that’s that. On top of that, she comes off very snooty.
But, they made almost ALL of the characters really snooty & pretentious, I freaking hated it. It was over the top Disney-Channel-bully kind of drama, just senseless mean-girl crap. It was very cheap and one note.

@Carrehz- :rofl: Glad it wasn’t just me either! XD
And thank you! I’ll have to take pics of them sometime, they look SO much like siblings right next to eachother! I think maybe she would’ve been a good candidate but he was a bit more of an obscure side character in G1, and not even in G2. Also, “Ebbie Wake” in my opinion has so much more of a ring to it than “Ebbie Blue!”
Also I’d say give the movie a shot, if you can kick back, have some bubbly and stand to cringe for about an hour and a half. XD It was soo much longer than I thought it’d be. Some things I was literally squinting at the screen like 🤨
I’d seen them all at this point so I was like well, might as well, was interesting just to see the… direction they’ve taken it…. If anything. XD

@Lady Frostbite- Toralei is definitely meant to be an antagonist, but she hasn’t come in yet. I think she’s just going to be in the animated series, she might’ve been to hard to CGI animate. Clawdeen & Deuce’s CGI was… Just…. OOF. Wowwww…. lol. Think that’s why Lagoona looked like she did. So I’m kinda glad they didn’t try to do Toralei.
The antagonist in the live action is VERY random.

@Shockponie- Here’s Lala with no bangs!
Sorry her hair’s messy. They’ve literally just been sitting on a table since I took the first photos, but their hair is so long it gets so messy so easily, lol. I also need to find the brush I use for dolls, idk where it went… It looks kinda crappy still, I used her headband so I could keep my hands out of the photos and get better-ish pics. (I don’t keep her like this, I keep her bangs down flat)
Spoiler

Also, Goreganizer Draculaura has straight bangs for another different look.

Spoiler
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 04:09:05 PM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline shockponie

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
@Esbayne Ohhh, her face up is beautiful under those long bangs! Thanks for sharing.
I just noticed Goreganizer Lala's freckle heart makeup. Cute touch.

Poor wonky eyed Clawdeen that's going back
Spoiler

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Can I spare a moment to despair of the way that even toy lines that are meant to be promoting diversity always end up in the niche 'popular crowd' category no matter what the original intentions? Are the creators all from that troll group of society or are they all just wishing that they had been? I've never understood this. I mean, I like EQG, but I'm still twitching at the fact Friendship Games at Equestria High was done by a popularity contest and that was pitched as the 'good' option vs the 'best performers' option from the rivals.

I watched a few clips of the Rainbow High/Shadow High stuff on YT and the same thing is there. There's the 'attitude', and so on and so forth. It's not that all the characters (I really only watched like 2 clips) are obnoxious, but they're just not very original, and there's so much posturing and showing off and whatever.

It sounds like the same kind of thing with MH. I would just really like it if a series that revolves around monsters actually paid attention to what that means.

On the HP stuff. Meh. I've kept well out of the drama around JKR because I think her stance is nuts, but I was always kind of peripheral to HP. I saw the films, they were fun, I didn't get that caught up in it. Some of it was a lot like Worst Witch anyway, and some of the stuff like the moving staircase and magic rooms and whatever were contrived plot devices that were a distraction from the actual story. I don't really think MH needs to overlap those themes, because it's not about magic, it's about monsters.

I would say RIP Ghoulia. But you know.

Moving on.

I think it's Lala's eyes that bother me. She does look better with the fringe swept back, but there's something not pleasant in her expression. She's pretty, but not...pleasant. Lala in G1 might have had a less conventional face, but I always thought her expression was quite sweet. I've put away most of my G1 Lala dolls - I don't have many and she's not one of my favourites - but I still have my first one on the shelf (with the sailor hat? I had to piece her outfit together bit by bit as I got her second hand) and I just feel like she looks a lot nicer. Like she's a vampire, but you'd still hang out with her, because she's harmless.

The Goreganizer Lala has a nicer expression imo, but that's a stock photo so I don't know if I want to trust it.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline shockponie

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
My new Clawdeen arrived with better eyes. So cute! People are already discussing variants, so I thought I'd mention Amazon comes with the crescent shirt (not the tiger striped one).
Spoiler

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
What a cutie!
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Can I just say I keep trying to call Goreganizer Lala "Gorgonzola Lala".

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Ahh thanks for that shockponie! I was wondering which ver of Clawdeen Amazon had... trying to convince myself I don't need both variants... x)

Can I just say I keep trying to call Goreganizer Lala "Gorgonzola Lala".
:lmao:

New Skullector dolls dropping this Friday, Frankenstein('s Monster) and his Bride:
https://creations.mattel.com/en-gb/pages/monster-high

Very cool, not ones I need personally, but I like 'em. For once I actually like the boy doll better than the girl! I love his big ol' hands. And the little ballerinas in Bride's shoes are gorgeous.

Offline Esbayne

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
OH NO, I LOVE THEM. I didn't think I would tbh because I haven't liked several of the Skullectors overly much. (Really I just love the Beetlejuice & Greta ones. Greta evaded me. :( )

Oh well, I won't get my hopes up. The Skullectors ones have been horrible with scalping issues and selling out in literal seconds to bots, and Mattel doesn't seem to care.
The last one they apparently dropped at a super random time, without announcement- or maybe that was the Reel Drama ones- either way, the Skullectors ones are suffering from the same issues. Tons of people missed them, but they are being resold for inflated prices galore. And yet people I see in the community keep buying them from these guys, while in the same hand complaining about prices online. :rolleyes:

I do see these ones seem to launch at a much more reasonable time, though- and do seem to be limited, though people use bots to run multiple accounts.
So not getting too excited, but would never say no to being able to snag these guys! I do really love the boy and the girl's hair and shoes are *chef's kiss*
I might see if I can!

Edit: I SNAGGED THEM. 🙊
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 03:03:25 PM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Esbayne

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Re: Monster High returns again - 11/10 Skullector Frankenstein + Bride 2-pack
« Reply #178 on: October 13, 2022, 04:44:38 PM »
It took a little longer than it was originally estimated, but Deuce & Ghoulia are here!!!
Deuce came two days ago.

I took his jacket off & replaced his shoes with G1 "Mansters Game Night" Deuce's shoes. (that Deuce wears leather boots lol)
I knew I didn't really like his jacket, but it does look nicer in person. The orange snake on the right arm is jarring. I didn't expect to hate his original shoes so much, but I haaate them. UGH they're hideous!! So I put him in these. SLIGHTLY loose but overall the boys can exchange shoes G1-G3 better than the girls.

Ghoulia I put in a pair of tights from I🖤Fashion Wydona. These have always been one of my favourite items of clothing in my MH clothes collection, but I've never had anyone to put them on that really rocks them. So when I saw G3 Ghoulia released, and her ugly skirt, I knew I HAD to get her, literally to wear these tights. XD And MAN DOES SHE ROCK THEM!! Worked out great. She looks so much better in these.
Not sure why, but they fit her much better than any of the other G3 ghouls. (tried them on Frankie before)
Her body looks identical but maybe it's slightly slimmer because the tights fit great on her. She was made for these. XD
Also excited I got one of the limited "$1 for charity" dolls too.
She came with a little "Switch!" The thumbsticks are skulls and it's SO cute lol, that her skateboard are my fave accessories so far. (I wish I could give it some clever name but I can't think of any puns for Nintendo or Switch. XD Wish it was a Gameboy, cause I could call it a Graveboy, at the very least lmfao.) THE DECAL ON HER SKATEBOARD IS DEADFAST!!! Like the exact same decals used for her SDCC release!! I'm adoring the G1 references soo much.
Weird fun fact, she is almost IDENTICAL to G1 Frankie's green. Not sure why, kinda weird. XD You don't realize how blue G3 Frankie in real life is til you put them together.

Not entirely feeling like taking tons of photos of them right now, so for now I'll leave this!

Spoiler

The complete G3 collection of "original ghouls" are they are now. The only one I wish I'd waited on is Frankie- I ADORE that Fearleading Squad version of her and really prefer it. I'm wondering if someone would be willing to sell her (and Deuce's shoes from that pack... XD I prefer them too!) to me if they got the 6 pack, but that seems like it might be a tough deal to find.

(edit: oh I forgot I also put Frankie in a pair of I🖤Fashion Iris' tights, Drac in Frights, Camera, Action! Honey's hat. I did a bunch of redressing recently lol. Stole all of G3 Clawdeen's accessories & split them between G1 Clawdia & Clawdeen lol...)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 05:00:03 PM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High returns again - 11/10 Skullector Frankenstein + Bride 2-pack
« Reply #179 on: October 14, 2022, 07:32:43 AM »
I like it. It's classic, nice to see Frankie's parents. Just wish they wouldn't price out kids, that's unfair.

Mattel Releasing 'Bride of Frankenstein' Skullector Dolls from Monster High | All Hallows Geek
https://www.allhallowsgeek.com/mattel-releasing-bride-of-frankenstein-skullector-dolls-from-monster-high/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 08:07:47 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal