collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Which of these usually hated gimmicks of G1 MLP do you like the best?

Dance 'n Prance Ponies
10 (12.8%)
Perfume Puff Ponies
26 (33.3%)
Beddy Bye Eye Baby Ponies
9 (11.5%)
Sweetheart Sister Ponies
31 (39.7%)
Soft Sleepy Newborn Baby Ponies
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: February 28, 2021, 09:25:59 PM

Author Topic: The Best 'Worst' Type of G1 Ponies  (Read 3339 times)

Offline PrincessRoyalBlue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
The Best 'Worst' Type of G1 Ponies
« on: January 29, 2021, 09:25:59 PM »
In G1, I know that there were types of ponies that lots of people hated. :cry: The ones I see disliked the most are Dance 'n Prance Ponies, Perfume Puff Ponies, Beddy Bye Eye Baby Ponies, Sweetheart Sister Ponies, and Soft Sleepy Newborn Ponies. Which one is your favorite? Please vote, I'm curious! Here are the major reasons why they are hated, and my reasons that they SHOULDN'T be.

Dance 'n Prance
Hated for: Knobs in their chests, tails looking creepy when they spin, looking dull without their accessories.
My reasons for loving them: I happen to own Twirler, and when I make her tail spin, it makes me laugh. Plus, the ones in the No Horn Powder Pose are the ONLY ponies in that pose- That's unique!

Perfume Puff Ponies
Hated for: Uncontrollable hair, perfume scent having side effects, bodies changing colors over the years.
My reasons for loving them: Their poofy hair is pretty cool if you ask me AND unique to these ponies. Plus, what's so hard about cleaning the ponies? I honestly like to clean ponies for fun.

Beddy Bye Eye Baby Ponies
Hated for: 'Creepy baby doll eyes' that open and close, eyes rusting, and for 'winking'(When one closes/opens and the other doesn't).
My reasons for loving them: I initially thought they were creepy at first, but after a while, I started to think that they're actually pretty cute (especially the baby unicorns)!

Sweetheart Sister Ponies (all types)
Hated for: Being teenagers, occasionally having names like 'Ruby Lips', 'looking wrong'
My reasons for loving them: What's wrong with teenagers? You allow babies, adults, big brothers, etc., but you can't handle teens? Also, they are all very beautiful, and I really like their earrings.

Solf Sleepy Newborn Ponies
Hated For: Creepy-ish eyes, being big, pose, random reasons
My reasons for loving them: They've really grown on me. Looking at them head front makes me want to burst into giggles. They're kind of cute, in a way, if you ask me.

For the record, I am not trying to offend anyone, that is NOT my thing. May the spirit of G1 be with you!
-PrincessRoyalBlue-
May the spirit of G1 be with you!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Best 'Worst' Type of G1 Ponies
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 10:08:56 PM »
I don't own a Soft Sleepy Newborn, so can't judge.

Perfume Puff Ponies come at the bottom of this list due to their powder puff hair. Hard to groom, hard to style, hard to rehair. They're gorgeous in good condition, but that hair is still...

Next come the BBEs, & not for the reason you think. The reason they're here is their sticky-up hair. Flatten you daft manes!!! In good condition, aside the sticky-up hair, they look cute & add a unique unicorn pose. I did think Frosting wasn't a Pony before I got the other two BBE unicorns. I have them younger than Baby Ponies without beddy-bye eyes, or Lullabye eyes as we UK peeps called them on our Baby Cuddles.

Next up are the Dance & Prance Ponies. Yep the knobs are annoying, & the plastic round their tails a pest, but when they work it's worth it. Plus there is Ponywear about with necks low enough to accommodate those knobs yaiy!!! And double on the unique pose here too. I used to have Tap Dancer in the old herd.

However, the only thing I find less than ideal about the Sweetheart Sister moulds are the ones who have that single earring inserted. I love how some Ponies are bigger, smaller, fatter, thinner, etc... just like humans come in assorted shapes & sizes (Admittedly I have a Secret Surprise figure). So these Ponies rock for me. Dainty was part of my old herd.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 07:01:36 AM »
I did think my childhood SHS was strange, and if we're being fair, Flutters started the slender ponies first. My issue with them is that a lot of them come in dull color schemes and boring symbols. I don't like most of the SHS, Prom Queens,  Glitters, KnTs and Pretty Ponies.

I've come to appreciate their grace and elegant stances as an adult, and I've decided that aside from getting Wildflower back, I must have a Sundazzle and have my heart set on Sunsplasher. I like Goldielocks and Pretty Belle and I love Sun Glory and Sunbeam.

The DnP has unsightly knobs on some very pretty ponies. I don't care for Twirler, and Melody is prettier then Songster. DJ is ok.  I love the colors and symbols on Swinger, Player and Tap Dancer.

I do find BBEs creepy, but I've resolved to get Frosting, and lately, I've been seeing the prettiest Ribbon on eBay.

PPs I cant stand. They've got dull colors, and the hair makes them look like they've been stuck on the bottom of a toybox for years and have developed untameable frizz. What a shame that Red Roses was put into such an awful set.

No interest in the so soft sleepy newborns. I keep forgetting they exist.

You forgot to add the Soda Sippins for their idiotic mouth placement. What a shame, they're pretty ponies with cute accessories.

The Ballerinas/Babies for their strange humpy backs

The Great Hairdos for those weird thingies and clashy colors.

The Rock N Beats seem to be pretty divisive.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 07:17:33 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 07:20:55 AM »
Sweetheart Sisters of course, because my favorite pony is one. :P

I love them all, though.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 07:33:30 AM »
Yeah... It makes me sad when people hate on the ponies I love.

I LOVED my ballerina ponies because of the articulation.

I remember Bunny Hop in the store, and I thought her pose was completely unique, loved the bunny charm, and that's the reason I picked her out. I always see people hating on her because of her "odd" pose, or the 3D symbol.

I absolutely loved SHS and they were the young super stars of our herds. And if I'm being honest, I always thought they looked more horse-like. I do think it's my favorite body-type of MLP.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 07:36:24 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 09:28:49 AM »
I like the Soft Sleepy Newborns the best out of these. Mostly out of nostalgia; my sister and I had one (the purplish pink one) that we shared. The day we got her was one of the best days of my childhood...we went to the movies on a rainy day with my grandma, and afterward she said we could each go pick out a pony. There was only one locally-owned store that sold ponies in her small town, and their selection was hit-or-miss. They didn't have any that we didn't already have, but they had the one soft sleepy newborn. She was $20...more than my grandma had planned on spending, but she said that we could get her and share her, rather than each get our own. My mother was so appalled that she spent that much; it was a lot of money back then, I guess! I just remember that day with my grandma so fondly; if not for the memory, I'd probably think they are weird.

As for the others here, most of them weren't around yet during the heyday of my pony years so I'm pretty apathetic to them except for the BBEs...we had all of those, and I have a love/hate relationship with them; I never liked their eyes, but those ponies were some of the most central ones in our collection...the year they came out was at the height of the pony craze in my household. Agree with Ponybookworm-what is up with that hair? The unicorns' stuck straight up no matter what you did, and the others' manes were so short it wasn't fun to style or play with.

My thoughts on the other 3 as an adult collector, since I didn't know these as a child:
Dance and Prance: not a fan of their pose. I could take or leave their gimmick, I might have thought that was kind of cool as a kid, who knows.
Perfume Puffs: I would not have liked these as a child. I didn't like curly-haired toys because I felt like I couldn't style it without ruining it, and these would have been an even more extreme version of curly. However as an adult, I find them rather interesting, too bad their colors are so boring.
Sweetheart sisters: they are pretty, and the molds are aesthetically pleasing enough, but I feel about them the same as I likely would have as a kid, and that is that they are something 'other' and didn't belong with my other ponies because they look different. I felt the same way about flutters, although I like them now. Probably just an OCD thing of mine, where lack of continuity and symmetry are deal breakers for me, but as a separate set of toy horses, I like them.

Sorry for my ramble. I just like posts like this.

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 10:33:24 AM »
Out of all of these, I think the Perfume Puffs are my favourite--I don't own one, but I find them positively charming. Sweetheart Sisters come in a close second, but that's probably because G2 was my childhood generation; they're very similar!

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 10:56:36 AM »
Hmm, good question.

I voted for the perfume puff ponies. My near mint sweet suds is just so cute and her hair feels nice. I prefer the ones without the smell though.

Second would be the once and prance ponies. I've got half the set, but they are quite cute. Also some of them have a unique pose as mentioned above.

Third would be the so soft sleepy newborns. I'm currently looking for Sweet dreams, the pink on pink one. They just seem so adorable. They are bigger though but having a few bigger ponies should be fine.

Fourth would be the Beddy bye eye ponies. My baby frosting is just adorable and I like her colours and beautiful lavender eyes.

Fifth would be the sweetheart sisters. I don't dislike them, I just ordered my first one. I don't like the mixed up names some of them have, but otherwise they do seem elegant.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 02:54:58 PM »
I love dance n prance ponies if they work, they're so funny!
And sweetheart sister is actually one of my favorite molds.
And I hope to get a perfume puff one day - I love their hair!
Not a big fan of beddy bye eye or so soft newborns, though.
I'd like to find a beddy bye eye with broken eyes and see how they look with glass eyes used for bjds, though!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 06:17:53 PM »
From that list, perfume puff by a mile. Though I also have a very strong soft spot for my childhood SHS ponies, esp the glittering one, and my childhood Songster.

Those things are purely nostalgia though. I love the perfume puff set and am mystified when people dislike the hair. It's so much fun to groom.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 03:27:56 AM »
I second Taffeta, Perfume Puff by far! However, I only have Lavender Lace and she came to me in good condition, so I don't have much experience in cleaning or restoring them.

Early 90s European releases were my childhood ponies so I don't have nostalgic memories of any of these ponies, I wasn't familiar with them as a kid.

I find the Soft Sleepy Newborns creepy and have no interest in them whatsoever.

The rest of this group are all ok though none of the sets are my favourite. I still find them better than some other G1 sets such as the Ballerinas, First Tooth babies, diaper babies and Drink 'n' Wets... :P

I used to dislike the DnP set when I started collecting but they've started to grow on me.

I'm neutral toward the SHS. I like the standing pose better than the walking ones.

BBEs are a bit creepy but somehow also cute. More than their eyes I dislike their wonky poses and oddly shaped heads. :shrug:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 07:15:44 AM »
Don't mind any of these... most of these gimmicks I like.

Magic Message Ponies frustrate me because there is no way to repair the symbol :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 11:01:39 AM »
Come on, the BBE babies are spawns of Horseatan. Nothing will endear them to me.
I'd say the Perfume Puffs are my faves because their hair texture is just so different. Just too bad they are aging badly.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 10:03:17 AM »
My thoughts:

Dance N Prance: Just find them boring without their accessories. The accessories totally make them. The chest nob is not my favorite, either.

BBE: No. Just no.

Soft Sleepy Newborns
: Terrifying. Like the BBEs, I'm glad some people like them but keep them away from me.  :shocked:

Perfume Puff: I think they're pretty cute! I had a couple of them for a while but I sold them. I definitely see the appeal. I had no idea people didn't like them until this thread lol!

Sweetheart Sisters: I consider them teens too. I think a lot of them are quite pretty but I'm not actively seeking them out. I remember LOVING them when I was a little girl but I never did get one.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 07:58:40 AM »
Hmm, for some reason it won't let me vote in the poll. Have to try later, I guess.

People hate SHS? :( I love them, they're some of my favourite ponies. Love their elegant lithe bodies, they remind me of G2 (also favourites of mine).

I like D'n'Ps too, even if that chest knob does look stupid :P It's a silly gimmick but I don't think it'd be a dealbreaker for me. They have nice designs apart from that.

I don't *hate* Perfume Puffs, but I just don't like how their hair looks. (never felt one personally so can't comment on that)

BBEs though... nooooo thank you! Unless they've been de-BBE'd... but even then I'm not a big fan, that mold just looks weird with or without the sleep-eyes IMO. I don't like the eyes, but then when you remove them (and replace them with normal painted eyes!), idk, something's still just not quite right.

Don't have a nice word to say about the Soft Sleepy Newborns, sorry. ^^; Too much like baby dolls for my taste, and I've never liked those sort of toys. Too big and creepy!

Also I don't get their name. They're still hard plastic, right? How are they "soft".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal