collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Coronavirus info, facts & updates  (Read 21483 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Coronavirus info, facts & updates
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2020, 03:45:32 AM »
Parents are out in town for maybe the last time for a while sorting out things to make sure they can manage more or less locked down for the next three months. In their absence I snuck around the house and cleaned the handles, the fridge and other places they didn't think mattered but which I do. They need never know...

I'm not really happy with them being in town but there's no alternative as it's not something I can do for them. They have promised to be careful. The thing is without regional tests any more we have no idea how prevalent it is in this area. All we know is that it is more prevalent in London at the moment, but some of the hospitals not a million miles from here have a bunch of cases, so it's a bit concerning.

On reflection I think the reason the govt has asked us to isolate rather than told us we have to is because British people are contrary and more likely to rally to the common good rather than obey if told what to do, even if the aim is the same. But we'll see how it pans out since police now have powers to arrest and detain anyone who is sick and needs to isolate.

School closures are not off the table yet, but I feel like the govt is trying to push it to Easter break.

Stores are working really hard to get their supplies back on an even keel.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2020, 04:58:56 AM »
In Münster, Germany: Shops that do not carry food or medical/hygiene supplies closed today, reinforced by the city.
we will need groceries today, like fresh vegetables and some fruit, i am very thankfull for everybody working on the supply chain! i wish i could help!
people can do homeoffice more and more! People hang out lists for people who can not leave home, to go shopping for them. ^^
many small businesses start offering thier stock online, often with big discounts.

~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2020, 05:44:01 AM »
A state of emergency has been called here in Ontario, Canada - schools, libraries, churches are closed, restaurants are carry-out and drive-through only.  The bookstore where my husband works is suddenly closed until further notice, though the mall itself will remain open because there's a post office inside.  Places that are still open are reducing their hours, even the paint store where I work (though we've been busy since people have been coming in to buy paint knowing they'll be sitting at home staring at their walls for a while).  On the bus yesterday, the seat behind the driver was cordoned off so people can't sit too close to them.  People are still out and about, but not as many, and even less than usual on the bus.  The post office lady told me yesterday that they're starting to get really busy though; I feel bad for her.

The federal and provincial governments have said they're going to help people financially, but they haven't exactly said how though it sounds like it's mostly going to be through unemployment benefits and tax breaks for people with kids.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2020, 05:44:35 AM »
People have gone ham. People who are hoarding food and tp are trigging other people into it, in fear that they won't be able to buy anything.
I just bought 4 breads because 2 of my friends still work until 6 and there is no bread left when they're done :\  One is frozen in just in case.

Our government has not decided to go on a total lockdown, but I wonder how long that will last.

Yes, the hoarding are absolutely awful... The supermarkets say they are restocking a few times a day, but honestly? I don't buy it (literally, too! *hardy har har*). At least our Albert Heijn, they definitely haven't restocked anything since yesterday. It's all just empty shelves, even more so than yesterday.

I refuse to go into hamster-mode, though I have bought a few (few!) canned goods to be sure. Like many I'm not afraid of the virus, but I am afraid of this mass hysteria it causes. I can't believe how selfish people get when things are out of the ordinary.

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline lonewolf

• Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2020, 06:46:28 AM »
Heard on the news the mayor of NYC announcing to expect a shelter in place order within 48 hours.
This is one thing I hope doesn't become a national thing. Anything longer than a week will destroy people's lives (many are already on that road with the current restrictions. And many won't follow it, which will really cause problems.

And Chicago's Midway airport closed after 3 FAA techs tested positive.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2020, 07:07:47 AM »
Anyone on our forums doing something good to help others out in this time of need?

Also, hugs to anyone who has a job who puts them on the front lines for this-- be it hospitals, grocery stores, or elsewhere. :heart: stay healthy.

I just figured by now we all know our shelves are low :shrug: Stores are going to restock, so it's ok. As of now, I haven't heard disruptions in the supply chain. They are just trying to keep up.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2020, 07:16:55 AM »
Anyone on our forums doing something good to help others out in this time of need?

Also, hugs to anyone who has a job who puts them on the front lines for this-- be it hospitals, grocery stores, or elsewhere. :heart: stay healthy.

I just figured by now we all know our shelves are low :shrug: Stores are going to restock, so it's ok. As of now, I haven't heard disruptions in the supply chain. They are just trying to keep up.

I farm and I've called all my neighbors if they need parts that our workshop is open rather than us all keep risking our health going to town. I've also offered to pick up groceries for the oldest neighbors/those scheduled for surgery next week. Otherwise I'm staying home
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2020, 07:37:01 AM »
Heard on the news the mayor of NYC announcing to expect a shelter in place order within 48 hours.
This is one thing I hope doesn't become a national thing. Anything longer than a week will destroy people's lives (many are already on that road with the current restrictions. And many won't follow it, which will really cause problems.
Ugh, my family is already driving me crazy and I don't do well stuck inside. I really hope it doesn't spread nationally (also because Animal Crossing! Sorry to be selfish, but it's very important to me right now).

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2020, 08:02:46 AM »
I've been wearing a mask and gloves at work to try to keep from getting sick, bring anything home to my husband who has reactive airway disease and also to protect others with weak immune systems if I'm carrying the virus and don't know it and two idiotic young men bullied me for it yesterday. I don't get paid near enough for that kind of abuse and never will and those stupid young men need to take this thing seriously because it is serious. Then as I was clocking out, a coworker asked me if I was sick because of my mask. Apparently did not occur to him I was wearing to keep from getting sick. I love how ignorance prevails during this.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline lonewolf

• Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2020, 08:05:48 AM »
US/Canadian border now closed to non essential travel: https://news.yahoo.com/us-canada-border-close-nonessential-135003686.html

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2020, 09:00:09 AM »
Today I heard that the Eurovision songcontest has been cancelled. That was supposed to be in May, but I can imagine this also has to do with the preparation time and people flying in. Since I bought tickets, I am waiting that they are offering. Money back or keep valid till probably next year.
Passover dinner in the synagogue is also cancelled but meanwhile friends asked me to celebrate at their home.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2020, 09:29:33 AM »
Several stores are setting aside the early morning shopping hours for elderly people or those with underlying health conditions.  My parents had to wait outside a store this morning in a long line before they got inside and then had to wait in another line to get fresh meat.

There are a lot of empty shelves.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2020, 10:36:32 AM »

Honestly, the biggest thing that anyone can do for anyone else is to follow govt advice on closures, distancing and so on, and make those personal sacrifices to keep other people safe. Not hoarding material. Washing hands. Covering faces when coughing. Supporting vulnerable family to protect them as best you can.

For me I don't have to self isolate or do anything particularly because I am not at risk - but my parents are, and I live with them at the moment, so I am also cutting down my outside time completely to protect them. My navigation means I can't drive, so would have to use public transport if I went out anywhere. That's a risk factor in itself, and I won't be taking it.

I think a question about what you can do for others is hugely subjective depending on people's personal circumstances. If I was still in London, my answer to that question would be entirely different, but I'm not, so that's how it is.

Stores are also taking a lot of measures here to support elderly people. London is apparently particularly severe but nobody knows the exact numbers.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »
I've been wearing a mask and gloves at work to try to keep from getting sick, bring anything home to my husband who has reactive airway disease and also to protect others with weak immune systems if I'm carrying the virus and don't know it and two idiotic young men bullied me for it yesterday. I don't get paid near enough for that kind of abuse and never will and those stupid young men need to take this thing seriously because it is serious. Then as I was clocking out, a coworker asked me if I was sick because of my mask. Apparently did not occur to him I was wearing to keep from getting sick. I love how ignorance prevails during this.

I'm sorry to hear that-  there has been a lot of in-fighting at my company too-  also between the people who want to be extra careful and those who want to pretend this is "no big deal" and that it is a "mild flu" that people are just blowing out of proportion.  The company reluctantly agreed to allow people to work from home, but the way they did it was not very gracious. They still have their heads in the sand.  I think that is true for a lot of Americans right now, sadly. 

I'm not sure how there are still people left in Seattle who can think this is "no big deal" but I guess they are avoiding the news.

I don't think those people will take it seriously until someone they know and care about becomes seriously ill or dies.  That is probably not as far off as they think as the cases in Seattle are blooming like wildfire and STILL there is no widespread testing...

I am just so angry that all of this could have been under control right now-  but thanks to current president administration-  they cut the CDC by 80% and fired all leadership who would have been responsible for dealing with a crisis like this.  Look at this 2018 article warning about why this just left us more at risk for a global health crisis or pandemic.  Which happened. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/05/10/top-white-house-official-in-charge-of-pandemic-response-exits-abruptly/

The justification given by the president was that we "hadn't had to use these people in many years" and he could always "hire them back when needed."  Which is like saying - hey, my toilet is working fine now so I'm going to go ahead and toss my toilet bowl plunger.  :(

Now we will all pay the price.  Or rather, mostly our parents and grandparents will.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:34:15 PM by Galactica »

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2020, 12:32:54 PM »
One of my clients works for Home Depot, and she said all their deep chest freezers sold out in just a couple days, so the hoarders could hoard more food.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal