collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does it bum you out that we don't get anniversary movies or g1 reboots?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Every time I see franchises like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, etc. Doing big movies for their milestone anniversary (YGO Dark Side of Dimensions, Pokemon I Choose you!) or complete g1 reboots or retellings (Pokemon generations, Digimon Adventure Tri) it makes me sad that Hasbro hasn't done the same with their pony franchise. I know they're a toy company first, but seeing just a visually enhanced g1 movie come out, with the same content, while anime companies are going big or going home is pretty depressing. There's so much potential that can be done with a g1 reboot, big aniversarry movies and events, cross dimension shenanigans involving all the pony gens, but yet.... Nothing. Bummer.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:50:27 AM by nightmare muffin »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
A bit. It would be really nice to see something besides the occasional reference in the show and comic books. FiM is so big, though, I wonder if people feel that it would be too big of a risk to try to appeal to its massive audience with G1. On the other hand, I do think there could be a market for it, and done right, could certainly appeal to the adult FiM fans. And imagine the production value a new G1 series could have! I would even be happy with a well done comic book series, maybe an occasional animated special.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
I have to agree.  Especially since Transformers fans get plenty of retro toys, merchandise, and even printed media through IDW.  All we've gotten recently is some DVD collections (which I love).  I feel like the glare of Friendship is Magic's cultural phenomenon has blinded them to the fact this is a franchise with 35 years of history to celebrate.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
I have to agree.  Especially since Transformers fans get plenty of retro toys, merchandise, and even printed media through IDW.  All we've gotten recently is some DVD collections (which I love).  I feel like the glare of Friendship is Magic's cultural phenomenon has blinded them to the fact this is a franchise with 35 years of history to celebrate.

That's a good point. From what I hear the Transformers stuff has done quite well, so I don't see any reason why it couldn't work for MLP.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
I would love a "Time Capsule Collection" of toys just filled with a random assortment of G1, Takara,  g2, g3, and g 3.5, for starters. Then big aniversarry movies, older gen reboots. Just a whole year of past gen memories and goodies being released. Pokemon did it right.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
I think the difficulty with a G1 MLP reboot is who are the "classic" characters of MLP?  G1 was not character-driven.  It was so not-character-driven that almost the entire cast changed between RaMC, EfC, and the movie/MLP & Friends AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO EXPLAIN IT.  Like, not even a throwaway line about Firefly being off travelling the world or anything.  Nothing.

Digimon and Transformers on the other hand are very character based.  Can you imagine Hasbro trying to do with TF what they did with MLP--just have all the old TFs disappear and not explain it?  Nope, they had to explain where Optimus Prime was because everyone knew who he was.  So they chose to make children cry, lol.

Pokemon actually has a formula which would have worked for G1:  focus on two ever-present protagonists (Ash, Pikachu) and give them new companions / new Pokemon related to whatever the current game was.  I think it would have been interesting to see MLP & Friends done like that.  That said, a lot of it does hinge on the quality of those protagonists if they're going to be the focus ALL the time.  To be honest Ash is usually one of my least favorite characters in any given season.  He either comes across as being too perfect (XY) or really stupid (B&W).

Come to think of it, I guess Sunbow sort of did do that, with Megan as the protagonist.  Unfortunately I hate Megan's oh-so-perfect character, so . . . And it still didn't really "work", like it did in Pokemon, because Megan stayed in Dream Valley, so there was no reasonable explanation for why the old ponies were disappearing.  At least Ash travels around and says goodbye when other characters leave.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:12:19 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Yup. Considering how spoiled rotten transformer fans of all gens are, I absolutely am. Even Jem fans got thrown a beautiful, if very expensive bone, with the integrity dolls line.

Hasbro ought to pay homage  to All past gen fans. Not just their first ones.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Not really, no. I'd rather they do something new instead of screwing about with G1.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline mlly

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Not really, no. I'd rather they do something new instead of screwing about with G1.

Well, like Transformers, throwbacks to older Gens can still coexist alongside with new stuff.

I still don't see why Hasbro isn't doing this with MLP.

Even the less popular franchise GI Joe gets stuff for its various iterations especially the first one.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
No.

I want G1 left alone-- besides random merchandise. I don't think a remake of the movie/cartoon would go over well. Everyone would pick it apart and complain because it wouldn't be done in a way they personally want.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Does it bum you out that we don't get anniversary movies or g1 reboots?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »
No.

I want G1 left alone-- besides random merchandise. I don't think a remake of the movie/cartoon would go over well. Everyone would pick it apart and complain because it wouldn't be done in a way they personally want.

I am starting to get to this point as well.  I like the retro toys like the tiny Firefly and Glory but I don't think I would ever be satisfied with what Hasbro WOULD produce.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 11:27:52 AM »
What I'd really like right now is the first two specials released in their original uncut versions.  I wish they would at least put forward that much effort.  I can watch RAMC on vhs and that's great for a real nostalgia kick but I worry that one day it will get damaged.

I'd love the idea of a redone RAMC as a full length feature that fills in all the gaps and adds more songs.  But sadly I don't think there's enough people at Hasbro who would be interested in doing it right.

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 11:29:44 AM »
I think I'd personally only like something if they stuck with the 80s super colorful rainbow packed stuff where everything is just pretty and 'girly,' I feel like things now are like... edgier?? Toned down on the super girly cuteness, quirky looking characters that aren't perfect looking.

Kind of like how they redid Starlite as a wonky kinda horse. So weird. lol.

Spoiler

I'll take whatever for toys/merch though.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »
I think I'd personally only like something if they stuck with the 80s super colorful rainbow packed stuff where everything is just pretty and 'girly,' I feel like things now are like... edgier?? Toned down on the super girly cuteness, quirky looking characters that aren't perfect looking.

Kind of like how they redid Starlite as a wonky kinda horse. So weird. lol.

Spoiler

I'll take whatever for toys/merch though.
Eeeyysh!  That's the first time I've seen that.  Oh, Starlight what did they do to you!

Well, at least he's still colorful.  I really bemoan the fact that G4 makes 95% of the males ponies in tones of grey/brown yucky colors.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
Under that spoiler I went WTF? Were you trying to make him look like Mr.Horse from ren and stimpy?  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal