collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony cataloging is nearly complete!  (Read 639 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Pony cataloging is nearly complete!
« on: November 22, 2016, 06:04:39 AM »
Not your usual brag but I'm excited! Read on for boring blabbing or skip ahead to pretty photos :silly:

When I first got my collection site set up in 2011 I kept track of things by uploading new ponies into albums by the year I got them. This worked great at first but over the past few years I've gotten maybe 0-4 ponies max. It started getting really ridiculous and chaotic to have a bunch of basically empty albums. I decided to take nice, uniform photos instead of my atrocious snapshots and organize them by generations.

I spent the last few months cleaning up most of my ponies, stuff like dusting, thorough washes, Magic Eraser, Oxyclean, new hairstyles, the works. It seemed like a great time to update but I never got a chance before winter set in. Our apartment is horribly designed and there's basically no place for artificial light. Thankfully we got new lightbulbs so I was able to do it after all! They'll all need to be retaken when I've got sunlight access again but they're miles better than what was there before.

Here's all the ponies I cleaned waiting for their portraits to be done. I pulled out even more after but by that point I'd spent so many hours photographing ponies I didn't want to do any more than I had to. I ended up with over 100 photos to edit, organize, arrange, and caption properly. Needless to say that was not a fun night!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

These are my favorites but you can see them all here! G3 & Handmade are all old photos but the rest have at least some new ones.

I also took the time to update my displays. They're not great but they'll be fine until we move next year. The paper behind this one is because that's technically an entertainment center. We haven't been able to replace or fill in the backing yet and giant cord holes are bad for dust!

Hopefully Craigslist is kind to me next year and I can replace this sad old saran wrap display with another glass case! The things we do for ponies, hahaha. :redface:

lovefromsirius

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pony cataloging is nearly complete!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 08:12:02 AM »
awesome collection and display! :D

Offline KC8114

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 11:44:16 AM »
What a lovely collection!!  They look amazing.
Thank you aluke for my lovely avatar!!

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »
Beautiful! Wel done.
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
Wow, that must have taken you ages. I love the shot of everyone lined up around the kitchen sink. I bet a lot of us can relate to that. Congrats and thanks for sharing :D

Offline Littlesparklepony

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 03:41:30 AM »
Looks like they cleaned up very well. Congrats! :)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 04:40:12 AM »
Thanks guys! :D

And yeah, Kiwi, it did! All day and night to get everyone ready, photograph, put everyone away, edit, and get my albums all updated. It was a pain but very worth it.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 08:38:21 AM »
Yea Taxel that is fabulous.  I have decided I want to create a catalog with the photo of the pony its name and year rather than the catalog I currently have that is alpha order.  During a computer crash I lost my color catalog.  So, I think you have done a fabulous job and we have something in common. I like to display my ponies on the foam board also.  I love the bath process photo.  I have cleaned so many ponies in my collecting years.  I live in a historical house that doesn't have much counter space.  So, I work on mine outside on the glass patio table.  Isn't it fun to see them all cleaned up, hair curled and shiny?  I love to clean them up.  That must have taken you hours though.   :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 08:40:07 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 09:05:04 AM »
Wow, that's a lot of ponies!!!  :)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 06:49:47 AM »
Yea Taxel that is fabulous.  I have decided I want to create a catalog with the photo of the pony its name and year rather than the catalog I currently have that is alpha order.  During a computer crash I lost my color catalog.  So, I think you have done a fabulous job and we have something in common. I like to display my ponies on the foam board also.  I love the bath process photo.  I have cleaned so many ponies in my collecting years.  I live in a historical house that doesn't have much counter space.  So, I work on mine outside on the glass patio table.  Isn't it fun to see them all cleaned up, hair curled and shiny?  I love to clean them up.  That must have taken you hours though.   :)

That's something that always worries me! I have my catalogue backed up in three places online, although its not organized or tagged in most of the backups. I could live without the info but I'd hate to lose all the photos documenting who I've got. I hope your new catalogue turns out well!

Foam board has been a savior. The stain on the glass cabinet started to stain a few ponies' feet so they all got hauled out. I love how much light it reflects onto them. I might sand it down and paint it when we've got a garage. Its a bit sad having all the ponies swallowed up in darkness.

Working outside is probably a bit more enjoyable than our cramped bathroom, haha! I'm always annoying my boyfriend or his mom by taking up the bathroom to clean toys. Houses just need to start having included toy cleaning stations, hahaha.

Cleaning up unloved (or overly loved!) ponies is one of my favorite things about collecting. I just can't resist a sad, dirty face. Getting a big box of ponies to clean is so much fun, even though it can take years to finally get through them all! (Me, slow? Well... maybe. Haha!)

Offline Carebearnmbr46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 02:18:42 PM »
Banana Surprise is one of my most favorite ponies too!   :)

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 04:06:42 PM »
I love your catalog. I also love the way you have styled Majesty and Starshine's tails.  What did you use?
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 06:05:45 PM »
Carebearnmbr46 - Banana Surprise used to be pretty far down on my list but she cleaned up so beautifully I can't help but love her <3

I love your catalog. I also love the way you have styled Majesty and Starshine's tails.  What did you use?

Aw thank you! :D Just the usual cut straws and bobby pins for the most part. I don't think my water was hot enough (hottest it gets from the tap) so they started drooping fast but I on't mind. Its a little more fitting imo since in my herd they're both boys, haha.

This is the only photo I have of Majesty's. Basically I'm really bad at making ringlets and tend to "twist" the hair up as I'm rolling it, if that makes sense. The twisting is similar to how some girls with longer hair twirl it around their finger, if it helps. Its a really weird thing to try and describe! That twisting leads to those thick "curls" on the straw (note how the top one is flat and then there's three thicker ones - that's what I mean). It makes very fat and almost candy-like ringlets while flat "curls" make more typical ringlets. You can sort of see the difference between the two on Majesty's after photo if you look closely.

Starshine's tail was made similarly. I have a couple photos but they're from the opposite side. You can see the fat sausage "curls" around the further straw.

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 07:12:38 AM »
OH these photos are beautiful! You've done an amazing job :frolic:
ISO UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire, and complete jewelry babies :cool:

Offline Spinky69er

• BBE Enthusiast Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+160)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 10:47:55 PM »
Beautiful ponies!! :lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal