collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else not really a "horse person" despite collecting MLP?  (Read 5115 times)

Offline Terra

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Longeared/
Re: Anyone else not really a "horse person" despite collecting MLP?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 07:55:24 PM »
I grew up in a mobile home park and never had any experience with horses. Horses are cool animals, and I think they're beautiful of course! BUT, I never had a "horse crazy" phase. I never read stories about stable clubs, or went to horse camp, or dreamed of owning my own horse while brushing a toy. I never really had a *personal* connection to them.

I got into G1/G3 MLP 10 years ago so -more so for the colorful fantasy aspect and the cute stylization than because of the species. Like, I don't know snap about cleaning hooves, the breeds, or their body language or any of that "horse person stuff". In fact, I'm a little intimidated by them!

...only uh, guess what. I have a horse now??
Well, technically my mom (who IS a horse person) does. We moved from a city trailer park onto my grandparent's old rural property - and we have a mini farm. She bought a real little pony a few months ago. She's super cute and friendly, but for all my pony collecting - I still don't know how to properly interact with a real pony. LOL (Kinda intimidated by her size, worried she'll nip or kick because I don't know her body language well)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 08:01:24 PM »
I admire horses, but I'm not a big horse person.  :)

As in, I think they're pretty and I think it's cool that other people can ride them.  But I've never been horseback riding (I'd like to learn someday, though.)  Never went through a horse phase as a child.  Little interest in owning one now.

But I do think they're pretty.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 08:09:11 PM »
I've never been a horse person. I didn't grow up with them and don't come into contact with them really ever. I love animals, so horses are included in that, but they never really stood out to me. Well, until now. MLP has made me more interested in horses.

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 08:18:33 PM »
*raises hand*
Yeah, I am not a 'horse person' either. I like horses well enough, but I'm not crazy about them. I'm more of a dog person :P

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 01:26:50 AM »
My instinct here was to say no, not at all horsey. I have never ridden except odd occasions as a small child at local fairs. My best friend as a kid was horse mad and went riding and I tried to share her interest but never really did. I had ponies, that was all.

But I realised that my current study project connects to horses, albeit in a non-horsey way. So maybe theoretically it's there, but in terms of the real horses - no.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 03:41:17 AM »
I was never interested in horses, either. My sister was pretty interested in them for a few years, and rode some of the neighbors horses from time to time, but that didn't rub off on me. I also doubt my Mom would have let me ride one at that age.

I just like MLP because they're cute.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 04:51:47 AM »
I was most definitely a horse girl! The first site I remember playing besides (or even before?) Neopets was called Horseland, I got one of those mailed-to-your-house Scholastic boxes based on horses (books, stationary, a magazine, toys, trinkets, you name it I had it), Breyers (well, one Breyer and many knockoffs) and Breyer catalogues, plushies, Barbie horses, I spent all year waiting for church camp so I could ride a horse for like an hour, I was always grumpy when my Girl Scout troop didn't do horse stuff every year, subscriptions to magazines, books... I even had a beautiful handmade wooden stable, fully sized for Breyers/Barbie horses, complete with tons of fence pieces, troughs, perfectly sized hooks for the horses' gear, etc. I made lead ropes for the stable out of bracelets I took apart.

Its honestly really stunning I was never given a single My Little Pony (aside from Happy Meal toys we didn't get on purpose) in my entire childhood. I had a G1 book, likely from a thrift store, and that was it. I wouldn't have been a fan of the really "girly" or pink/purple ones, at least when I was older, but I would've adored MLPs!

To this day I still love horses but not the same way I did before. I don't really want a fullsize horse anymore, although I'd love to have a miniature horse someday. I would absolutely love to have riding lessons in the meantime. However I still enjoy Breyers are other more horse-y toys.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 08:11:11 AM »
I love horses. I used to ride them when I was a teenager. However the cost of a horse was what stopped my parents from buying me one. I still like horses but have settled for just collecting my little ponys.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 08:53:51 AM »
Yes, definitely; I like draught horses but I'm not a full-on horse person. But when it comes to crows and dolphins, then I get excited! XD

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 10:05:25 AM »
Same. Growing up in the country, my cousins owned a couple of horses while growing up and I got some experience riding them, but never felt the urge to want a real one. I knew they were too big and out of our price range to take care of. Still have cousins who have horses that I can look at, but if I ever had the chance, I'd rather own a miniature pony. They are so darn cute! After all, it is called "My Little PONY" :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:06:56 AM by plushroo »

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 10:18:59 AM »
I'm def a horse person. I only liked MLP and Breyers as a kid because they were horses, but I grew up on a farm and live on one. My whole life is animals and horses especially. I would sell every pony I have if needed to do something for my horse. On the other hand I know many of people that don't care for horses. Totally fine better to have plastic ones than animals you're not interested in that require lots of work. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 02:00:34 PM »
Well I got knocked down by a horse when I was little so didn't want to be standing close to them very much. My first opportunity to ride was a stressful experience too. They were having problems with the saddle so I had to wait out of the arena. By the time I was on the horse and going round with the others the instructor was referring to things I hadn't been able to hear and the person leading the horse wasn't paying attention so I was just bumping around feeling uncomfortable :( I had to get them to stop and haven't been on a horse since.
I like to stroke horsey noses though and watch from afar.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 02:13:10 PM »
My boss lives on a horse farm (his wife runs a boarding business) and last year he fractured a rib when a horse hit him by accident with her head. o_o They are such powerful animals! And expensive to keep. I love them in a "would watch movies about them but never own one" sort of way. XD
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 05:22:55 PM »
I've never been a horse person. I didn't grow up with them and don't come into contact with them really ever. I love animals, so horses are included in that, but they never really stood out to me. Well, until now. MLP has made me more interested in horses.
I feel much the same way.  I've certainly improved my horse knowledge since getting into MLP.  So while horses might not be my favorite animals (there are cats, and rodents, and otters out there!), I think they are super cool!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 06:20:36 PM »
My boss lives on a horse farm (his wife runs a boarding business) and last year he fractured a rib when a horse hit him by accident with her head. o_o They are such powerful animals! And expensive to keep. I love them in a "would watch movies about them but never own one" sort of way. XD
That's just part of owning big animals. I mean my Clyde is only 14 months and big as a regular full grown horse. She could easily really hurt me, and I know there is always a risk of it. There is just something about us horse people. Lol I have a perm bad leg from competition and multiple other injuries and still my favorite beasts.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal