collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Deflocking  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Deflocking
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 08:01:42 PM »
You can always send your ponies to someone who will deflock for you, especially if your health is at risk!

I may have to. Two days of scrubbing. One rubbing alcohol and one nail polish remover. Her head isn't bad, but her body still has a layer that dirt is sticking to. Now for the worst. I have pretty awesome nails. I tried gently scraping and I believe I managed to take some of her plastic off. :( I'm going to have to think this one through.

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 08:29:09 PM »
I have a hand held steam cleaner that I use for straightening hair. It has a small nozzle attachment. I tried it on a pony I plan to de-flock and it took the glue right off.
Mine is a shark brand but they are discontinued.

Here`s a similar one.
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/steam-shot-hard-surface-cleaner-0080-9984607257--24?site_refer=CSE_GGLPLA&gclid=CJi8krbsg88CFVdbhgodZVsHnA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 08:33:38 PM »
Sharks are the best. I have a vacuum and floor steamer. I don't know how anyone can clean their hardwoods without.  :drool: yes, I love clean floors that much.

I wish I could afford a hand steamer... maybe I'll just set her aside for a while.

Offline AllyCatAlisha

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 08:24:48 AM »
Anyone have any tips for getting in all those Pegasus wing crevices?  I use q-tips (regular and pointed) but they don't seem to really get in there.

I've found toothpicks helpful. I'll soak a cotton pad in acetone and cover the wings completely for a few minutes to try and get the acetone to sink into the glue, then use the toothpick to dig it out :)

Thank you. I will give that a try.

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 09:59:24 PM »
Sharks are the best. I have a vacuum and floor steamer. I don't know how anyone can clean their hardwoods without.  :drool: yes, I love clean floors that much.

I wish I could afford a hand steamer... maybe I'll just set her aside for a while.

You can probably find a second hand one for cheaper on craigs list or something local.

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 10:08:52 PM »

You can probably find a second hand one for cheaper on craigs list or something local.

I probably could. Sadly I really am broke. No buying anything that isn't required until next year. I'm not complaining. That's just how it is. I also consider a few Christmas candies as required for my daughter.

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 11:04:30 PM »
Deflocking can be hard work but so worth it!  :)  I think Magic Star was my first ever de-flock.  I've also done Ribbon, Twist and Cupcake and have a Lofty in the works!  I've started using Jif cleaner and a gentle scourer (not steel wool, a much softer green coloured pad) and dipping in boiling or hot water.  it works really well to get the bulk off!

Cleaning the glue off can be hard as some ponies are a bit porous and the glue just won't budge, so it can take a lot of patience.  Good luck though-- deflocked Magic Star is a truly pretty pony! :) :)

Offline telelle_wings

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • G1 Unicorn Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 08:59:16 PM »
I repeatedly oxyclean bathed my Ribbon when I was deflocking her and haven't had any damage to any part of her. Getting the glue residue off was such a pain. I have the rest of the unicorns minus Buttons (since there is a deflocked version of her) post oxyclean bath with their heads off and tails out sitting in a box for probably the last couple of years because there is still a boat load of residue on them. I'm getting acetone and jasco soon for those.

I attempted to use q-tips with my acetone-nail polish remover on Twist and had no luck at all while I sat in front of the tv for hours trying to get it to make any dent in the glue. That glue was just super stubborn.

I thought I had a photo of a multi-pony oxy stew but I could only find my photo of Ribbon, but I do have a photo of a pile of project ponies.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:05:05 PM by telelle_wings »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal