collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: retro MLP toys and media  (Read 5463 times)

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
Re: retro MLP toys and media
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2016, 04:36:34 AM »

Another two words.

Jem Comic.

I dunno why but it seems the comics do a better job with retro properties than anything else does.

For me you can add that to Jem Movie as a reason not to touch it. Another example of fanfiction winning over canon without the remotest explanation of why or how. Admittedly, it's better than the movie fiasco, but, rather like Al said, distorting original stuff is a problem for a lot of fans. I'm not okay with things in the comic that have zero basis in the original series, thus I won't read it. And with what LM said, the same happened with TF. The risk to MLP in this world of G4 and the saccharin world of FIM is a ponyland that really doesn't resonate with what we remember.

I still vote that we should let sleeping ponies lie. The past is what it was, it was beautiful, let's not tarnish it by forcing it into the present.

Taffeta, you are literally the first person I've seen that feels the same way I do about the Jem comic - and you've summed it up much better than I ever could  ^^;

Personally I'm not sure how I'd feel about a new G1-centric series - on one hand new media! but on the other hand is the very real potential of tarnishing everyone's memories with a lackluster product... Have there been any decent reboots recently?

In terms of toys however, I agree with the idea of making old characters in new poses - or maybe even some of those unproduced ponies! Although didn't Hasbro lose a lot of the molds for the original poses? I seem to recall that they had to do 3D scans of existing ponies to create the 25th anniversary reissues...
I finally found my grail! :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2016, 06:17:22 AM »
As much as I love G1 I don't think a remake of the cartoon and toys would be a good idea.  From what I've seen, when third-party companies try to remake stuff from the 80's it usually turns out bad.  I wouldn't mind seeing more g1 inspired stuff for collectors in stores though.  I don't really mean a remake of the toys from the 80's but more t-shirts, other clothing, and things like that.

I get so aggravated when I see a G1 shirt and it's for juniors or little kids.  It won't mean anything to them except it has a pony on it.  They weren't around when MLP was on TV in the 80's.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »
As much as I love G1 I don't think a remake of the cartoon and toys would be a good idea.  From what I've seen, when third-party companies try to remake stuff from the 80's it usually turns out bad.

What about those retro style Strawberry Shortcake dolls? Tbh I think that might be behind the renewed interest in a retro rerelease. Someone has proven that it CAN be done right so now we want one for MLP.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2016, 03:06:15 PM »
As much as I love G1 I don't think a remake of the cartoon and toys would be a good idea.  From what I've seen, when third-party companies try to remake stuff from the 80's it usually turns out bad.  I wouldn't mind seeing more g1 inspired stuff for collectors in stores though.  I don't really mean a remake of the toys from the 80's but more t-shirts, other clothing, and things like that.

I get so aggravated when I see a G1 shirt and it's for juniors or little kids.  It won't mean anything to them except it has a pony on it.  They weren't around when MLP was on TV in the 80's.

Is it fair to say little ones shouldn't get a G1 t shirt because they only know it has a pony on it?

I know some older girls who love the G1 show.  No reason they can't enjoy the show as well as a pony on a shirt....but let's be honest, you and me both are just frustrated we can't fit into the pony shirt we see in front of us, right?

I'm often frustrated I can't find G4 stuff for young enough kids to put it on my G4 plushes...but that's another topic. 

I think putting G1 pony stuff on little kid clothes will snag at least some of them into interest in watching the old show maybe it should come with a DVD!  The old show has a lot of extreme adventure and stuff that G3 lacked and G4's adventures aren't usually as good either so I think it's great if little ones can be guided to the G1 show by any means possible. 

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2016, 05:40:21 PM »
Agreed. There's also a lot of retro TMNT merchandise in little kids' sizes. Kids today weren't around for the '80's Turtles, either, but I think it's neat that they're on a lot of the merchandise instead of it only being the current Nick version that's available. And I think a lot of today's kids would probably love the silliness of the '80's Turtles if introduced to it. Retro merchandise in kids' sizes is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. It helps bring in a new generation of fans!

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2016, 07:43:25 PM »
Agreed. There's also a lot of retro TMNT merchandise in little kids' sizes. Kids today weren't around for the '80's Turtles, either, but I think it's neat that they're on a lot of the merchandise instead of it only being the current Nick version that's available. And I think a lot of today's kids would probably love the silliness of the '80's Turtles if introduced to it. Retro merchandise in kids' sizes is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. It helps bring in a new generation of fans!

This is where things are often actually for the parents.  I like to buy my niece TMNT stuff because my brother in law likes them.  Then they get to match!  I've never been into TMNT myself, and I still really like some of the re-release stuff they have out right now.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

lostpony

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »
Took me a second to remember, but:  Cowabunga, duuuude! 

Did I get that right?  hahaha.

I didn't watch the series but I always like the nutjob that liked to use sports equipment to fight the bad guys in the movie.

Offline sleepykris

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • my avatar was done by the talented aluke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2016, 03:09:34 PM »
The retro releases of the strawberry shortcake stuff are soooo nice.   Wish we could have that for the g1 ponies!

I'd be totally fine with retro re-releases (Bridge Direct is making some amazing Strawberry Shortcake ones) merchandise, TV series, what-have-you.  Really.  Anything they want to release, I'm willing to at least give them a chance.  :)

I know it won't live up to my childhood, 80's memories.  I've made peace with that.  But I'd love to have some pony stuff that I'm excited to buy in stores again.  It's been such a long time and I'm just not a g4 collector.

But that's just me.   

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2016, 03:49:44 PM »

Is it fair to say little ones shouldn't get a G1 t shirt because they only know it has a pony on it?

I know some older girls who love the G1 show.  No reason they can't enjoy the show as well as a pony on a shirt....but let's be honest, you and me both are just frustrated we can't fit into the pony shirt we see in front of us, right?

I'm often frustrated I can't find G4 stuff for young enough kids to put it on my G4 plushes...but that's another topic. 

I think putting G1 pony stuff on little kid clothes will snag at least some of them into interest in watching the old show maybe it should come with a DVD!  The old show has a lot of extreme adventure and stuff that G3 lacked and G4's adventures aren't usually as good either so I think it's great if little ones can be guided to the G1 show by any means possible. 

I agree in that it would be nice to more adult shirts with G1 stuff in stores but my point was that kids nowadays don't usually grow up with G1 My Little Pony, they grow up with G4.  But, some people do show their kids DVD's of retro stuff which could result in a kid growing up now to grow up with G1 My Little Pony. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:51:17 PM by Majesty »

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2016, 06:59:02 PM »
I want a men's cut Wind Whistler shirt.  There's something that will probably never happen.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »
But as far as media it seems pointless. It really would just end up being FIM with a new veneer.
I don't want G1 ponies brought into FiM too much. Why? Because the more G1 characters they bring to the Brony fandom, the more Bronies will start buying up G1 ponies and causing the prices to skyrocket. It's already starting to be a problem, and if Hasbro gives the new fans more reason to want G1s, they will completely annihilate the collector community.

Now, collector re-releases like they did in 2007 for the 25th anniversary would be fine. Just don't introduce them into the show.

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2016, 06:20:44 AM »
Because the more G1 characters they bring to the Brony fandom, the more Bronies will start buying up G1 ponies and causing the prices to skyrocket. It's already starting to be a problem
\

Really?  I thought Bronies didn't like the G1 style ponies?

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2016, 08:45:43 AM »
But as far as media it seems pointless. It really would just end up being FIM with a new veneer.
I don't want G1 ponies brought into FiM too much. Why? Because the more G1 characters they bring to the Brony fandom, the more Bronies will start buying up G1 ponies and causing the prices to skyrocket. It's already starting to be a problem, and if Hasbro gives the new fans more reason to want G1s, they will completely annihilate the collector community.

Now, collector re-releases like they did in 2007 for the 25th anniversary would be fine. Just don't introduce them into the show.
So you're basically saying bronies don't have the rights to be g1 fans because it will be harder for older fans?That's a little selfish if that's what you meant.And don't worry, a lot of bronies think g1s are ugly so even if they put more g1 characters in g4 they will not care about the g1 originals, they will care about fanmade g4 versions of them.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2016, 09:32:40 AM »
Yeah, that does come off as a little selfish and silly.  Though, bronies don't seem to know collector values of things, so less than honest sellers will take their interest as a reason to jack up their prices.  "You won't pay the price for it, I know some brony schmuck who will."

And there are already plenty of G1 to G4 customs and artwork of the many of the more notable G1 characters already

I would like to see them do something different if they brought back G1s.  Have some variety to the media we have available.  Prime/Robots in Disguise does its thing and Rescue Bots does its thing even if they're supposedly connected.  You could have G1 ponies in Equestria, but approached from a different angle.  Perhaps have them be the "Guardians of Harmony" since G1 was more adventure based (angry Twilight is hard to look at and keep and straight face).
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »
To be honest, G1 MLP prices are exceptionally low, for which we should all be grateful.  (I think it's because they are just so durable.  Other toys that age would generally have broken parts.)  Considering G1s are 20 - 30 years old, it's a miracle that there are so few that are over $100, or even over $50.  I was just checking the price on a Beast Machines Transformer that I bought new in 2001 (for $10) and he has already appreciated to $55 (loose).  And he's not even well-known or popular, and he wasn't even in the BM show.

Basically what I'm saying is that prices getting higher isn't something to "blame" on anyone, it's just something that naturally occurs as toys age.  Bronies are not responsible for current G1 MLP prices; if they were, the prices would be skyrocketing on Firefly, Sparkler, Posey, and the other ponies who the G4s were modeled off of.  But they aren't. Firefly is still easy to get for $5, etc.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal