collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: retro MLP toys and media  (Read 5400 times)

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: retro MLP toys and media
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 03:14:09 AM »
i would love new g1 anything !!!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 04:07:29 AM »
I don't get the idea of wanting new characters in the G1 style for a retro rerelease. Isn't the point of a retro rerelease a chance to reconnect with the iconic characters you remember and give newer generations a chance to get to know them? Like I don't think the SSC retro rereleases would be as popular if they released "Pomegranate Smoothie" instead of Strawberry herself. That said I can kinda understand wanting the original characters in new poses because it's still the same character.

I really think $10 would be a good price point too. It's still affordable enough for a nostalgic impulse purchase but not so cheap that they wouldn't be able to deliver a quality product.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:10:55 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 05:21:44 AM »
I know many ponies were put in poses because they was the pose of the year.  So, maybe the more popular show ponies in poses more in line with their personalities like Wind Whistler and Surprise switching poses (I know Brazilian WW is in the Surprise pose).

As for media, I would want it to flesh out some of the more noteworthy characters and perhaps bring in ones that never got a chance.  Wind Whistler got about as much exposure through the entire series as Twilight Sparkle did halfway through "Look Before You Sleep" if you go by the most generous measurements.  We know she is intelligent but emotionally reserved, maybe go more into that and let her actually apply her intelligence and explore the fact she is more comfortable facing down an incoming flow of lava than a social setting.

However, I would want to keep the enclave in a mostly unknown world dynamic.  Give the audience something to explore and wonder about.  Just, provide a little more structure to that enclave.  Also, we need Majesty in all her glory.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 07:30:14 AM »
It would be fun. I love any G1 merchandise I find! The toys would be a kick to see. I'd probably buy a couple for the novelty of it, as I did with the G1 collector's pose packs that came out some years back, but they're not actual G1s, so I wouldn't make a point of collecting, I guess. Part of what I love about G1s is knowing they were made during my childhood and it's a direct connection for me. Reissues don't have that.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 09:38:31 AM »
I don't get the idea of wanting new characters in the G1 style for a retro rerelease. Isn't the point of a retro rerelease a chance to reconnect with the iconic characters you remember and give newer generations a chance to get to know them? Like I don't think the SSC retro rereleases would be as popular if they released "Pomegranate Smoothie" instead of Strawberry herself. That said I can kinda understand wanting the original characters in new poses because it's still the same character.

I really think $10 would be a good price point too. It's still affordable enough for a nostalgic impulse purchase but not so cheap that they wouldn't be able to deliver a quality product.

It'd be tying previous ones together. Look at Transformers for example, they've got a lot of the old, mixed in with much of the new.

Or how new Thundercats stayed true to the original in many ways, but fleshed everything out better.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:40:14 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 11:09:22 AM »

It'd be tying previous ones together. Look at Transformers for example, they've got a lot of the old, mixed in with much of the new.

Or how new Thundercats stayed true to the original in many ways, but fleshed everything out better.

Oh I'm not saying new characters couldn't be added just that I don't get how someone would want only new characters to totally replace the original characters. Like I bet a retro version of Cherry Jam would be liked well enough alongside the classic characters.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »

Oh I'm not saying new characters couldn't be added just that I don't get how someone would want only new characters to totally replace the original characters. Like I bet a retro version of Cherry Jam would be liked well enough alongside the classic characters.

Ohh! Sorry Wardah, I misunderstood.  ^^;

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 11:17:57 AM »

We could also have some new characters to fill in what seem like gaps (like unicorn and pegasi Big Brothers).  I would also like to see Waterfire and G3 Merryweather as G1 ponies.  They seem like they would fit well.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 12:08:10 PM »
I wouldn't want new G1 shows, movies, or even shorts. I haven't watched much of the G1 stuff yet but I just don't trust anyone not to ruin it. I mean, companies already throw out canon and ruin enough of their own stuff! I can't see G1 getting treated any better.

G1 toys though? I'm so down for that! I'm loving the little retro toys we're getting and I hope it continues. Re-releases like the Strawberry Shortcake dolls would be cool, or even new characters in old molds. G4 blindbag size/price G1 blindbags would be really awesome too.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 12:33:14 PM »
I wouldn't want new G1 shows, movies, or even shorts. I haven't watched much of the G1 stuff yet but I just don't trust anyone not to ruin it. I mean, companies already throw out canon and ruin enough of their own stuff! I can't see G1 getting treated any better.

G1 toys though? I'm so down for that! I'm loving the little retro toys we're getting and I hope it continues. Re-releases like the Strawberry Shortcake dolls would be cool, or even new characters in old molds. G4 blindbag size/price G1 blindbags would be really awesome too.

Ooh I'd love new, old-timey strawberry shortcake stuff!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 02:09:37 PM »
To me, I associate G1 more with the toy molds than the show.  So I would be more interested in seeing new characters in G1 molds than of seeing pre-existing G1 characters re-released.

I would love to see high quality third-party My Little Pony toys;  not poor quality fakies with wonky faces, but ponies who would fit in seamlessly with G1 ponies.  Of course they could not be in EXACT G1 molds or Hasbro would go after them.  But there are zillions of third party "not Transformers" that Hasbro doesn't do anything about, so I think they would let third party "not MLPs" exist too.

Example of a "not Transformer":

^ It's Tailgate, WHOOPS, I mean "Rear End".

Comparison with IDW comics Tailgate (official Transformers character):

Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 02:35:32 PM »
Rear End!  :lol:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 04:12:47 PM »

Ooh I'd love new, old-timey strawberry shortcake stuff!

Head to Toys R Us :) There's a thread over in the Dollhouse with photos! They look wonderful. Something like that for G1 would be awesome.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 08:46:25 PM »

Because for many of us, it isn't about emotional attachment to a specific character, per se.  It's about collecting all the pretty ponies.  And most of the primary characters from the cartoons are common enough that must of us already own one or two.  And at any rate, even if I don't  own it, I can still buy most of them for the same price as buying something new in the store.  Having a new character in an old mold gives us something new while still preserving the nostalgia.  But I think this would only work if it were actual brushable toys.

If they do figurines, it would probably be better to use the original characters.

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2016, 10:38:13 PM »
Yeah, if they release common characters again in the same poses, then what's the point?  I could see giving them to children, but that's about it.  Especially if they aren't as good of quality as the originals, that was a lot of folks' complaint about the previous re-releases.  Now if they released interesting poses, new characters, or re-releases of rare ponies, then I would be excited about them even if the quality wasn't quite the same.  Re-released Lady Bird anyone?

Because for many of us, it isn't about emotional attachment to a specific character, per se.  It's about collecting all the pretty ponies.  And most of the primary characters from the cartoons are common enough that must of us already own one or two.  And at any rate, even if I don't  own it, I can still buy most of them for the same price as buying something new in the store.  Having a new character in an old mold gives us something new while still preserving the nostalgia.  But I think this would only work if it were actual brushable toys.

If they do figurines, it would probably be better to use the original characters.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal