collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How important are displays to you?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
How important are displays to you?
« on: August 14, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »
Are you only in it for the pretty ponies or do you live to create beautiful displays of your hard earned collection? Would you rather buy a gorgeous Rapunzel or a drool-worthy glass cabinet? Is set up an afterthought or is every pony's place perfectly planned? Do you keep ponies safely tucked away in storage or would having them cooped up out of sight drive you batty?

Not actual questions of course, unless you really want to answer them :P

When I got into collecting displays didn't really matter to me. I did the best I could with what I had but it quickly became obvious that dust was too much of an issue. The poor ponies (and other collections) were mostly tucked away in drawers to keep them safe.

Now that I've gotten some more mismatched display cabinets and am knee-deep in pony cleaning I've been thinking a lot about displays. It will take many (many) years to get where I want to be with my displays, and I'm okay with that, but I'm no longer okay with the messy displays of the past. I'm hoping to tear everything down, clean everyone up, and start over with much more cohesive and organized displays. I'd say displaying is probably as important as the actual ponies (and some of my other collections) now. I want to collect glass display cases next xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How important are displays to you?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 12:15:59 PM »
I like it when my ponies fit in with the general composition of my room. I love the look of unpainted wood, so that's what I fill my room with... As much as I'd like a more dust-free solution, my ponies get wooden shelves as well. I don't have enough space to display all my ponies at once, so instead, I pick out ones that look good together to prevent a messy feeling. The final thing I do to make it look balanced is to arrange my ponies like my Pokemon figures; smaller ones go on shelf risers, big ones on the side. That way, it's less like two shelves with two things, and more like a single collection. Of course, I change things up every now and then, but I just can't enjoy my ponies if I feel like I'm displaying a mess.

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »
In a perfect world my ponies would have a really nice enclosed display case and they would all be displayed on risers by set and year. So yeah you could say it's important to me XD

I just love to keep a neat organized look to all my collections really it's therapeutic     

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 12:47:08 PM »
I have two glass cases and they get filled up really quick so I guess I need more stuff to display them with.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »
My ponies are safely tucked away - and I don't need to display all of them. I also like the idea that my collections feel like they make sense in the room. I don't like to be overwhelmed - and I easy get overwhelmed :lol: Things need to make sense in my home, they need to be useful if they are visible - so collections are more a thing for me that I look at from time to time - take out for photos and such. But they are rarely out on display.

Kat
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Blue Haired Ken Doll

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • Always eat your vegetables young grasshopper ♡
    • View Profile
    • My Blog ♡
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 02:24:46 PM »
I care about the display because I love the aesthetic :) what got me in to collecting toys was Japanese Fairy Kei and Fancy Toy rooms. I have my ponies and other toys (Polly pockets, hello kitty etc) decorating my room. Having them put away in storage would make me sad lol. When I move in with my boyfriend I know he won't want them everywhere so I'll probably have a little display area or I'll get a closet/small room somewhere :P never the less the display will be heavily thought out XD
(ᵄ̴̶̷́ॢ ˙̮ ᵄ̴̶̷̀∗ॢ) ♡ Formerly known as Diamond Pony

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »
I always diverted enough money to keep my stuff safe (proper cooling/dehumidifying when needed and the extra utilities to run. a clean dark room, safe lighting, keeping them dust free). but obviously the costs of enough shelves.... not yet and I keep buying ponies as I sell off stuff and get extra money. I'm looking at about $2K with how I want to display them and getting a cabinet bit by bit won't work as well as biting the bullet and buying them all at once. I live in the middle of nowhere and delivery would cost a fortune over going down, renting a trailer and buying them all at once and bringing them home.

nella100

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 03:19:06 PM »
I love the look of nicely displayed ponies! Mine are currently on tiered glass shelves, they look nice but I do want to get a cabinet with lighting--I love the idea of unfinished  wood display cases!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 03:56:18 PM »
If I can't have them displayed, then it's too many. I don't do elaborate set ups like I want too with playsets and such because they are confined strictly to my room. But lots of shelves where they're put together in whatever orders seems pleasing to me is how I roll. I still need one of those vinyl stables to put my white and fading pink haired  ponies in. Because the sun beams into my window and even with the blinds I'd prefer they not yellow.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 03:59:16 PM »
Very. I can't stand having my pony collection packed away and not having space stresses me out to a point where I've downsized my collection to make it fit in the space I have for it. Even when I had tons of space before, I got overwhelmed just by how many I had. I know exactly where any new additions will go the moment I put them on my wish list. I really dislike clutter and if my collection looks cluttered to me it interferes with my enjoyment of it.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 07:43:50 PM »
I really wish I could display my ponies more. But for now most are packed up and taken out occasionally with favorites displayed. I live in a tiny studio apartment and don't have the room for displays. I have a couple shelves up on my wall and my book cases. The rest are bubble wrapped in crates in the back of the closet to keep them safe until I can display them. But it will be amazing once I can get them all out and properly displayed. I wish I could display them all, but I like way more ponies than I have space for. So packing some up is the best happy medium I could come up with.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 04:00:30 AM »
I try my best with the space that is available but it's not easy at the moment. When I have a more spacious place to live, a proper display for my little herd will definitely be on the cards. A lot of the displays I've seen on the Arena have been very inspiring! :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 05:29:32 AM »
I display all my ponies, though I don't have that much space and it's getting quite crowded. I think if my collection gets more than about 20-30, I might switch to not displaying them all at once.

Offline NigheanRuadh

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Pony rescuer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
I don't have any displays, just ponies scattered around.  I've decided to just pack up the ones that I have out until I actually have somewhere to set them up nicely. :sad: 
With three children, we have enough mess without ponies adding to it...

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 05:05:33 PM »
An attractive display is vital, reminding me of why I love ponies. :) When I see my mini pony room, it soothes and relaxes me, totally worth the effort of putting it together. I'm grateful that I have the space to display my G1s.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal