collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Bad Breath Minty?  (Read 5489 times)

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
Bad Breath Minty?
« on: August 03, 2016, 12:41:25 AM »
So I came across and purchased a Minty variant I didn't have yet for a very good price in "played with" condition. She actually is in pretty great condition, but she has a light sent to her like bad breath. I have come across or heard of a lot of different smells, but nothing quite like this!

I washed her really well which did not seem to make a big difference. I wonder if I should try to open her up? Or try deodorizing her in the same way smoke smell is removed? The odor is only noticeable if you hold her to your face, but will she affect the other Mintys on display next to her?

Anyone else ever come across a pony smelling like bad breath?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:43:26 AM by aintnobuffalo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: Bad Breath Minty?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 01:15:42 AM »
That's really bizarre. I wouldn't risk putting her with the other ponies before trying some de-odorizing techniques just in case.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 05:21:57 AM »
Oh weird.
I would open her up. Hopefully there isn't anything funky inside.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:01:45 AM »
There may be something funky inside. I'd check just to make sure. That sounds pretty weird.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:42:34 AM »
The title made me laugh a little..heh.  ^.^

I'm sorry about this!
I don't deal with G3s very often, but I was gonna say that I recently got a G1 pony that reeked of what is best described as 'sewer with a touch of musty.'   :blink:

I'm not kidding. I'm guessing it was stored in a basement or attic near bathroom pipes or something.?
It's a Sparkle pony.. I can't see anything gross inside..but I may have my pony restoration friend clean her up for me to see if it helps with the smell.

I hope Minty smells 'minty' again for you!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 07:51:00 AM »
I had a pony once, a Merry Treats, who was gorgeous.  However, you could smell her across the room.  She was the most offensive combination of cigarette smoke and vomit imaginable.  All standard methods of cleaning were no match for this odor and finally, fearing for the safety of the rest of the herd and because you could smell her through a sealed baggie and my parents were complaining, Aadra and I buried her in my back yard.  A foot of dirt was the only thing powerful enough to quench her stench. 

True story. 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 08:35:08 AM »
I had a pony once, a Merry Treats, who was gorgeous.  However, you could smell her across the room.  She was the most offensive combination of cigarette smoke and vomit imaginable.  All standard methods of cleaning were no match for this odor and finally, fearing for the safety of the rest of the herd and because you could smell her through a sealed baggie and my parents were complaining, Aadra and I buried her in my back yard.  A foot of dirt was the only thing powerful enough to quench her stench. 

True story.

Eww.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

NoelVS

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 11:46:10 AM »
I've reading all deodorizong and cleaning threads to save my stinky takara fakies for some weeks  and got relative succes with a non bleached sanitizer product that my friend recommend, so finally I can have my face near them without falling in the floor ^^ so I think was bacteria that caused that bad smell. Good luck
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:47:54 AM by NoelVS »

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »
Sounds like Minty needs a bottle of mouthwash then? :lol:
  What I used to do with a smelly pony was spray a bowl with febreze. I would soak them in there for hours on end until they didn't stink no more. I heard of people putting ponies in freezers, or in cat litter to descent them.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 06:46:45 PM »
Sadly there are many smells that vinyl absorbs and holds like a sponge that can make the ashtray smell pleasant in comparison. :( talk to anyone who works in homes (furnice guys etc).... they sometimes end up tossing their clothes after a job due to smells.....

Ok, this works really well. Still need to clean this pony (the example I actually did deodorize!!!) ... she smelled like body odor and really pungent feet & DIRTY house. baking soda didn't touch.

Do this before wetting a pony at all. You need the following set up like the photo. hopefully I don't need to mention that the cat litter needs to be unused. ;)

Lid on! now tuck her away somewhere cool and dark and check on her each week. for a heavy REEK change out the litter weekly. Kinda cute eh? looks like she's in a solitary cell with her own personal litter box.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »
Thanks for your advice and stories! I can't believe poor Merry Treats had to be buried!

She has a nice neck seal, so I think I am going to try deodorizing before opening her up. If that fails or if the smell comes back, I will check out the insides. With the cat litter method, is there any cat litter smell left over afterwards? Is there a certain brand that is best at not keeping a cat litter smell to the pony?
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 07:52:30 PM »
well, most in tubs with caps you can remove the cap and sniff test it before you buy. I wouldn't buy anything super perfumed. You don't want litter that covers stink with stink but the ones with active odor removal (some contain baking soda) and the litter smells airs out after.

Since you recently washed her, make sure she has plenty of time to air dry completely. You don't want her sealed with ANY water trapped inside.

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 08:02:48 PM »
If it comes down to it you could put an air freshener inside her. Also, bread, baking soda, and dryer sheets are great for absorbing scents. I put little vanilla tealight candles in the corners of my pony displays, unlit of course, and they seem to really help keep everypony smelling fresh. Note: I'm ridiculously sensitive to scents so the candles are very lightly scented.

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »
Sadly there are many smells that vinyl absorbs and holds like a sponge that can make the ashtray smell pleasant in comparison. :( talk to anyone who works in homes (furnice guys etc).... they sometimes end up tossing their clothes after a job due to smells.....

Ok, this works really well. Still need to clean this pony (the example I actually did deodorize!!!) ... she smelled like body odor and really pungent feet & DIRTY house. baking soda didn't touch.

Do this before wetting a pony at all. You need the following set up like the photo. hopefully I don't need to mention that the cat litter needs to be unused. ;)

Lid on! now tuck her away somewhere cool and dark and check on her each week. for a heavy REEK change out the litter weekly. Kinda cute eh? looks like she's in a solitary cell with her own personal litter box.

Aww! She looks so cute in her cell! XD Nice tip btw! I never tried kitty litter before, baking soda was useless.. Usually I ended up giving the pony away or having them cleaned internally, which did the trick!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »

True story. 

wow.... where on earth did you find that merry treats.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal