collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pretty Clips of Ponies in the Shows  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Pretty Clips of Ponies in the Shows
« on: July 25, 2016, 02:31:18 PM »
So recently I was skimming for some art clips of twinkle eyes for doodling purposes, when I came across this picture of G1 Fizzy in the show (spoiling it because it's huge):

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I couldn't help being like "wow that looks so pretty!" I have no idea if its the colors, or pose, but Fizzy looks so nice there!

It's ironic too, as I know there were many illustration errors in the show

I always appreciate nice art, and I was just wondering if anyone else has had a favorite scene in an MLP show (or elsewhere) where they just really could appreciate the art style and design?
My Tumblr

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Pretty Clips of Ponies in the Shows
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 02:40:03 PM »
I love The Last Unicorn, Spirited Away and the Pastoral Symphony scene from Fantasia :)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 12:28:34 PM »
It's very old, but I love an ancient anime called Unico.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »

I think this is great picture of Applejack.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 09:41:31 PM »
I absolutely love how the g1 ponies were animated in rescue at midnight castle. They look so pretty! I think it's a combo of their hair styles, their slimmer bodies, and that angular jaw line!

I also love how g1 animated fizzy has a different color pattern in her mane. I'm constantly upset that her toy does not have that beautiful dark emerald green in the front!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 01:53:32 PM »
I absolutely love how the g1 ponies were animated in rescue at midnight castle. They look so pretty! I think it's a combo of their hair styles, their slimmer bodies, and that angular jaw line!

I think the animation in Rescue at Midnight Castle is the best of g1 animation

Ponyfan

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 03:16:57 PM »
Completely agree about Rescue at Midnight Castle's animation. The ponies looked so pretty and never seemed to have the issue of weird/goofy looking faces at certain angles that the rest of the show had. It's a real pity they didn't continue with that style.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »
Completely agree about Rescue at Midnight Castle's animation. The ponies looked so pretty and never seemed to have the issue of weird/goofy looking faces at certain angles that the rest of the show had. It's a real pity they didn't continue with that style.

This shot at the end of "I'll go it Alone" from the MLP movie always make me laugh. Baby Lickety Split looks a little funny to me.

Ponyfan

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »

I love Unico too!

This looks gorgeous, was it a movie or a series?
My Tumblr

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 05:30:11 PM »

Unico is a trip
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sugarberry

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 09:59:20 PM »
Fizzy does look so much nicer with the dark green hair in front!

And I agree that RAMC/Firefly's Adventure was the best of the animation, but then the cartoons were made quickly and in a much different style that was more time-pressured. 
Still love so many scenes from the film, including the Applejack/ seapony one and the  'Let's not take a nap' scene with the nursery and baby ponies playing.

The movie scene with baby Lickety split looks off because her eyes are completely blue, cheeks are too big and body is huge- but frontal views of ponies and the rear are the most difficult to draw.   ;)  Even da Vinci had a lot of difficulty drawing them- a technique called 'foreshortening' must be used.  When the Disney film 'Spirit' came out, it was phenomenal from a technical animation aspect as well as true-to-life body language of horses.

As for Unico, I had to look it up since I could only recall two movies which were shown on the Disney channel.  The first was called "The fantastic adventures of Unico", the second was "Unico and the Island of Magic".  There apparently was quite a bit more as far as appearances in different media, and a much shorter film. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unico
He's super cute though- and you might be able to catch the old films on you tube.  ^^  Haven't tried to look it up yet.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:00:55 PM by Sugarberry »

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 02:29:37 PM »
The movie scene with baby Lickety split looks off because her eyes are completely blue, cheeks are too big and body is huge- but frontal views of ponies and the rear are the most difficult to draw.   ;)  Even da Vinci had a lot of difficulty drawing them- a technique called 'foreshortening' must be used.  When the Disney film 'Spirit' came out, it was phenomenal from a technical animation aspect as well as true-to-life body language of horses.

Spirit was made by Dreamworks, not Disney! Credit where it's due. They had a short lived 2D animation team, also responsible for The Prince of Egypt. And this is your animation nerd, signing off!

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 02:57:25 PM »
I remember seeing Spirit as a kid and being wow'd by the animation. They did a fantastic job animating that horse (or all the horses really). I really need to master drawing horses, and I feel like the characters in that film would be a great template.
My Tumblr

Offline Sugarberry

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 10:31:27 PM »
It would be a great template Chelsea!!!  Just keep in mind that even though the animation is stunning, and the lead artist is tops in the field of animating horses, it is still a developed style (primarily one person's style).  Too many wonderful artists put too much pressure on themselves to match someone else's artistry, and then they wind up getting frustrated and quitting, or worse- belittling their own achievements and style.  I'd actually suggest a combination for you to learn on.  Use 'already animated' horses to see the lines and figures after the cleanup artists have finished, but also look at the different breeds and shapes of live horses.  Begin with pencil and/or charcoal and try to picture the basic dimensional shapes of your horse heads - not just the outlines. 
Even in real life they (more often than not) come out looking disproportionate, so don't get too frustrated.   ;)  Here are my two from the front as very quick examples:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Pippin is my miniature.  You'll see how tiny his ears are to his head in comparison to Twilight.  She's a standardbred with massive ears and a very long nose.  Because she's bred for racing, she has a very different set of features (not just size) than Pippin does, with smaller eyes proportionally and much wider nostrils.  Have fun experimenting with drawing all sorts of horses.  Spirit was a great film, and it highlighted some different head shapes, but they were all typical mustangs - short legs, stocky, barrel-chested for endurance- but drawn with more 'flowing' hair than the original wild mustangs usually had.  There are still wild mustangs now, but they're actually quite well-cared for- I lost my farrier to them several years back and he is a ranger now that works preserving their lives and also their habitat- hahaha!
Anyways, You may find you prefer Andalusian, Arabian, Clydesdales or any number of other breeds.  ^.^   Find your style, try always to draw dimensionally, and most importantly- have fun. 
Spoiler
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:39:12 PM by Sugarberry »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal