collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Bronycon Trip and Brag (plus TRU binge)  (Read 659 times)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
Bronycon Trip and Brag (plus TRU binge)
« on: July 13, 2016, 06:28:34 PM »
So this year, I was forced to make a choice between the Fair and Bronycon. And since I've never been and have friends who have been to several that I could carpool and room with, I decided to head to Baltimore this year.

At first I was a little apprehensive, and wasn't really as excited as I was for the Fair last year, since I'm not really a brony anymore.  Things picked up the day before the con started with the Brony Bar Trot, because what better way to start off a vacation than getting completely plastered?

I saw drawings like these in the front of every bar in the trot that I went to. It seems they prepared for the Bronies by writing in their native language- memes.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

They actually had some nice drinks made up for it.  One bar had a Fluttershy shot that kind of tasted like vodka and lemonade, and another had a really good one called the :muffin: Pony Hooves which had a pineapple flavor to it.

The con itself was probably the best I've ever been to. One of the first places I went to was the vendor hall.  I was expecting it to be more prints and plushes than anything else, and I was right, but the variety of all of it was a little overwhelming.

I spent hours browsing the booths, looking for things that caught my eye that I could actually afford.  Of course, by the time I had made up my mind to buy it, it had already sold out. Flurry Heart stuff seemed to sell out pretty quickly, and of course anything with the Princesses. I guess next time around, I should make a list of what I want and get to it before it's gone.

I'm actually very seriously considering contacting the artist and getting one of these Sweetie Belle blankets shipped to me. Also, I'm pretty sure this guy is as obsessed with Sweetie Belle as I am with Pinkie Pie, which is really saying something.

See what I mean?

I actually spent most of Saturday walking around with that plush on my head since I bought it early in the morning and didn't feel like going back to the hotel room to put it up. I had fun with the people pointing out the plush on my head by saying "What plush? OH GOD, IT'S BACK! Get it off! Get it off!"

I also found this in the vendor's hall.  This spoke to me on a spiritual level.
Maybe someday I'll get one.

The best part, however, were the panels.  I think this year was the first time that all of the VAs for the Mane Six were in one place. One of the panels had them act out a story that Tabitha St. Germain wrote, which was awesome. I had no idea how talented Tabitha was, I guess this is why they have her voice so many characters. I also saw what one guy in line with me for her autograph was saying about her making us look normal. Especially when she started talking about her butt. She also wears the same glasses as Rarity. Or maybe it's the other way around.

There were several others almost as good as that one, especially the improv ones. Some with show staff, some with community guests, some with both. I think I went to more panels at this con than any I've ever been to.

Even the lines could be interesting, since you tend to chat with people you're waiting with. The line for closing ceremonies had people chanting all kinds of stuff, they even sang Bohemian Rhapsody in its entirety.  I remember when they started going "Ran-dom chan-ting!" *clap clap, clap clap clap* "Ran-dom chan-ting!" I told a friend that it was all proof that bronies are less of a fandom and more of a cult. He did not disagree.

A picture from the closing ceremonies. I never got a good pic of the guy with the EqG Celestia standee.

I also was able to catch some interesting cosplays there

I really regret not getting a picture with one of the Celestia cosplayers

Also, this happened.

The picturesque view from the terrace at the hotel.  We were able to see the masts of the USS Constellation from our room. Not pictured, the police helicopter that was there every night that weekend. We named him Steve.

This year's haul wasn't as big as from the Fair last year, but I got a lot more than I expected. And a few things I wasn't expecting at a brony convention.

Everything all together.

Mane six coasters!  I've wanted pony coasters for some time for a while now.

Pony shot glasses. These are probably my favorite things I bought. They also got tested out Friday night. They definitely work. Also, Rarity.

All of the cards I got, and a new tin for accessories!

This is the Pinkie plush that spend most of Saturday on my head. She was the last one in the vendor hall.

Not much of a print person, due to space constraints, but they were passing them out for free on Sunday, and I was able to get the CMC one before they were all gone after about 20 seconds.

I really liked the print they had for Tabitha's booth, but I really wish I had come up with the idea to have her sign a G3 Minty before I was in line for her autograph. And before the one that was in the vendor's hall sold.  She seemed surprised when I mentioned any of her G3 work. Next time I'm hoping to get a Winter Minty for her to sign. I also told her I was looking to seeing her at a future convention so she could talk about her butt some more. She got a laugh out of that one.

The guide book they had for the con had some great art in it. I think it was done by one of the people who does the FiM comics.

I got a few postcard sized prints, as well.  I'd really like to get more like these.

The one in the center is lenticular. It's really cool.

Finally, I got some G3s! It was a very pleasant surprise.

I don't normally collect MIB, but I couldn't say no to Alphabittle, and I don't have to clean them or mess with their hair.

Fortunately, next year, I shouldn't have to choose between this and the Fair, and I may even have an ex-brony friend going along.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:49:36 PM by zombienixon »

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Bronycon Trip and Brag
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 07:04:43 PM »
Looks like you had a great time! Are people starting to lose interest in ponies? Wondering when you say ex brony.

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 08:30:15 PM »
Great haul! I actually got those coasters too! I think I saw you around the con actually! :lol:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 08:54:15 PM »
I'm glad you had fun and Alphabittle? Darn you,you lucky thing! She still continues to elude me!  :silly:
 Great photos too. The rest of your haul looks terrific.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:32:49 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 02:55:42 PM »
What a great post.  I felt like I was actually there while reading it!  Love your mane 6 coasters :D

I actually spent most of Saturday walking around with that plush on my head since I bought it early in the morning and didn't feel like going back to the hotel room to put it up. I had fun with the people pointing out the plush on my head by saying "What plush? OH GOD, IT'S BACK! Get it off! Get it off!"

:lmao:

Offline HorsingAround

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 07:33:19 AM »
Congrats on your new additions. I LOVE the Rainbowdash sleeping in hanging terrarium bulb!
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 06:53:30 AM »
Wow! Looks like you had a great time :) So much great merch as well.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Spinky69er

• BBE Enthusiast Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+160)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 12:49:38 AM »
It seriously looks like you had a total blast there!!! 

I love the "pinkini" hehe!!!  You picked up some wonderful items too.  I love the coasters :)

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 03:55:27 AM »
Oh those are some great new items and ponies :) great pics too! Congrats :)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Bronycon Trip and Brag (plus TRU binge)
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 06:34:51 PM »
So, as I predicted would happen soon after Bronycon (it did after the Fair last year), Toys R Us had a big clearance sale on MLP, and even offered an additional 15% for ordering online.  I ended up getting most of what was new, since I've been looking forward to this year's lineup more than any other.

I ended up getting it Monday (except for Sapphire Shores, who came Friday), but waited until Friday to actually open it, since this week, all but two other people were out of the office until Friday. I figured it would be a good pick me up to end a craptacular week at work.

These are all kind of nice in their own way.  The articulated fashion styles are fun to pose, and can make for some good pictures. The regular fashion styles have very cute outfits, although the way you dress them is kind of weird. The light up Princesses have faceted surfaces on the inside so they look a little like crystal ponies, and the little playsets have all of these neat accessories that all reference past FiM episodes.

The biggest downside is that the hair isn't as good as it used to be, even on the fashion styles. For the most part it isn't bad, but you can tell the hair on the Equestria Girls is much nicer.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »
Dang, I really have to go! I didn't know all the VAs were there!!! I wish so much that they will all be there again for a future one so I can attend.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Strzyga

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 03:39:04 PM »
you've got great time here!  ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal