collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which states should I visit next?  (Read 1346 times)

S.o.a.r.

• Trade Count: (0)
Which states should I visit next?
« on: May 30, 2016, 11:10:13 AM »
So, for my upcoming US trip I will be re-visiting California for the third time. Which means I so far have been in two states (NY and CA) but I really want to expand that list. I'm hoping to travel to US at least once a year, and in 2018 I'm planning on travelling in September.

The states I'm currently considering is;
• Colorado
• Montana
• Wyoming
• South Dakota
• North Dakota
• Kansas
• Iowa
• Nebraska

For this particular trip, I'm planning on visiting 3-4 states in the Midwest and/or surrounding area. (Hoping to visit the South in 2019.) I'll really appreciate any and all suggestions regarding the listed states, as well as other not yet listed.

Now, I'm not a typical outdoors person but I really admire the nature of the Midwest. I'm looking for places with great shopping, amusing attractions and tourist friendly outdoors activities. In short, a lot to offer. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:46:32 PM by S.o.a.r. »

mothums

Re: Which states should I visit next?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 11:45:44 AM »
From what I understand, Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota aren't really tourist destinations. I've never been to any of these 3, but I've never cared to for that reason. Colorado however is experiencing a lot more of a boom in tourism. I have been to Denver, and I think it's just beautiful. You get the scenery without having to be in the middle of nowhere. Like I said, I can't speak for the other three states, but if I had the opportunity to go to one of the four you listed, I would go back to Colorado :heart:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 12:08:24 PM »
I highly suggest Wyoming, especially if you enjoy the nature of the area! Jackson Hole is very touristy and has lots to offer. We generally don't do much touristy stuff, but we've seen a lot of art galleries, interesting stores, and restaurants. We went to the elk refuge last time we were there and it was very tourist-friendly and close to town. You can just drive up in your car and look around for animals. And if you go to Jackson, you can easily drive (or take a tour) to Yellowstone. We pass through every single time we head to the park (and we only go for day trips, no staying overnight).

I'm always a big supporter for Yellowstone, but I'm not sure how well it fits what you're after. The areas with boardwalks are very tourist friendly and you can see quite a lot without doing anything like hiking. You don't even need to leave your car, or tour van/bus, if you don't want to. You can still see a lot through the windows, though of course you'd miss some things. The Old Faithful area is very touristy and the hotel(s?) look nice. There's some shopping around the area as well, but I'm not sure if its quite what you're after in that regard. However its an absolutely amazing place, and so beautiful! I probably wouldn't recommend October for a first time visitor, but a bit earlier (August or September) would be perfect. June and July are extremely busy with lots of rude tourists and kind of gross with lots of mosquitoes.
Yellowstone is not as dangerous as some recentish news articles might lead you to believe, but its not a joke when you're told not to approach the animals and to stay so many yards away. As long as you follow the very simple rules, you'll be completely fine and will have a wonderful time.

Grand Teton National Park (right next to Yellowstone) is also extremely beautiful! There's not quite as much to see, but its definitely worth driving through and looking around. Jackson Lake is gorgeous and there's a couple completely breathtaking picnic areas and such around it.

But its probably not a good choice if you're hoping to avoid snow and going during October for sure. Even down here in Idaho, snow starts falling in October. It generally doesn't stick much but I'm sure its worse up in the mountains. Don't be afraid to shoot me a PM if you want to know more about any of it :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:10:18 PM by Taxel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 12:47:06 PM »
What state? Plasma. [crowd booing]

I'd say Colorado or Montana - I've heard that Colorado has more stuff to do, but Montana has more pretty scenery.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

S.o.a.r.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions! :)
I realize now that I probably was a bit unclear in my first post; I'm planning on visiting all of the listed states or at least three of them. ^.^
Also, I was considering going in September so it's good to have that confirmed since it's quite hard getting a clear answer regarding the seasons via Google searches. Anyways, I'm all for some basic nature exploring but my favorite thing while on vacation is shopping. As in; Target, VS Pink, Forever 21 and Old Navy. Stores we don't have here in Sweden. I also like to explore new restaurants but not bars/nightclubs. Visiting amusement parks and/or zoo's are also favorite things to do during vacation. This time, however, I would like to expand a bit beyond my comfort zone and go horseback riding for example. Perhaps stay overnight at a ranch or something along those lines.

Anyways, I've updated my original post with a few more states. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:44:02 PM by S.o.a.r. »

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 05:12:25 PM »
I love montana and Colorado. Look up the national parks and go to them. They are great!! Visit a ranch. There are wild horse reserves. The badlands in the Dakotas. I love Wyoming to. So pretty.

What do you like to do? If you like parks they are the place to go. If you like amusement parks Texas and ohio have them. California and Florida to. Cedar point in ohio is great!

My friend is moving to oregan next week and it is also a beautiful state! They have nice parks as well.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 04:05:25 AM »
If you're hoping for chain stores like Target, Victoria's Secret, Forever 21, and Old Navy, I really don't know how much luck you'll have in a lot of those places. You'd probably have to stick to larger cities to find them. Like, for example, in all of Wyoming there are only two Target stores. I thought you meant unique touristy stores, like mom & pop type stuff. Most of the stores we've seen in Jackson are unique like that, not chains.

Its not on your list but we have a pretty nice zoo here in Idaho Falls, Tautphaus Park Zoo. There's a surprisingly large variety of animals (and this is coming from someone used to the huge LA Zoo) and its pretty nice. You can do things like feed the penguins for a special fee, if that would interest you. We have a lot of chain stores here too, I think everything on your list. In Idaho most stores seem to either be in Boise or IF since they're the "big" cities.
I can't speak for any other zoos in the area so I figured it was worth throwing out there, especially with your interest in chain stores :)

One other thing I forgot to mention, that might be a bit more your style near Yellowstone, is Bear World. We haven't had a chance to go yet but its sort of like a hybrid between Yellowstone and a zoo. You can do things like bottle feeding bear cubs, enjoy a petting zoo with deer fawn and elk calves, and take a tour in a weird car where you can see adult animals as well as feed the adult bears.

I've also seen signs for a wolf center near Yellowstone, but we've never gone or looked into it.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 12:33:11 PM »
A friend of mine lives in Montana--depending on where you go it can get very scenic :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 01:35:12 PM »
Ummmmm........I dunno.......But have fun!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 05:25:06 PM »
I can't tell you much about Iowa or Montana as I have mainly just passed through or been on the borders.

Colorado has tons of things to do! I lived there for 5 years during college. The plains can be rather drab in between cities but there is the Arapahoe Racetrack in Aurora. It features Arabian, Thoroughbred, and Quarter Horse racing. Denver and it's surrounding cities have a plethora of shopping opportunities including all the stores you mentioned.  The front range includes Fort Collins (big college town with shopping, restaurants and other social fun; voted in the top 5 best places to live in the US), Denver (museums, Denver zoo, aquarium, Elitches amusement park) and Colorado Springs (another city with much to do). In addition there is Dantes Peak and Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs, Renaissance festival during summer in Larkspur, CO; Mile High Flea Market in Denver area, Brass Armadillo antique mall in Wheatridge, antique malls and thrift stores in many places, sports, hiking, scenery, etc. I could go on and on! Oh and Estes Park has good food, touristy shops, elk rut in the fall. There are multiple places to ride too.

Wyoming can be very blah driving through with few and far between towns/cities. Less chances for shopping in general. Some gems though if you're willing to look like those mentioned above. Hot Springs is interesting.

South Dakota is actually very touristy. There is Mount Rushmore, Sitting Bull carving, Sturgis bike rally, Flintstone village in Custer, Reptile Gardens, many caves to tour as it is the Black Hills, Wall Drug, scenery, wildlife, etc, etc. the list goes on in the Black Hills, especially Spearfish and Rapid City.  There is also the Corn Palace lol.

North Dakota is my home state. Many think that there is nothing here or confuse us with South Dakota (especially Mount Rushmore) but we have the Badlands and Medora there which is touristy and pretty with places to ride. Medora has the popular Medora Musical. Our bigger cities like Bismarck, Fargo, Minot, and Grand Forks have most if not all of the stores you mentioned. Bismarck, Fargo and I think Minot have zoos.  SD and ND have many historical things to see. There are often heritage villages and Bonanzaville in Fargo is neat. There is also a racetrack that is open in August. Most of these states have wide open expanses especially between towns. Eastern ND is where I am. We have hot sometimes humid summers, frigid winters, wet cool springs and often nice but short autumns. I have seen snow here in the months September-May lol. In the summer the sun does not set until around 10pm!  Anyway onward.

Kansas is nice and I remember visiting as a kid so I can't remember too much but we always had fun. Kansas City (can't remember if it's the Kansas or Missouri side) has a great amusement park called Worlds of Fun. There is s nearby water park too called Oceans of Fun. Shopping shouldn't be a problem here.

Finally, Nebraska is rather boring as I remember. However, I have only passed through during roadtrips. Driving across is boring as is traveling across Wyoming, Eastern Colorado, or Western North Dakota.

I would like to also suggest Minnesota. It is next to ND/SD and has a lot to do including shopping, nature, culture (museums, etc.). Minneapolis has a racetrack, renaissance fair similar to Colorado's, Valley Fair amusement park, Minnesota State Fair, Minnesota State Zoo, The Mall of America, etc, etc.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:21:26 AM by nessa16 »

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 05:37:11 PM »
I lived in Kentucky for 8 years, not sure if that's the general area you were looking into.  There's the Kentucky derby museum, Jenny Wiley State Park, lots of scenery--horse centered if that's what you're looking for.

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 08:51:58 PM »
Massachusetts, Connecticut, Washington, and Vermont.
 :chat:

Post Merge: May 31, 2016, 08:55:06 PM

Of your list I vote Wyoming for Yellowstone before it's gone. Montana is beautiful, Colorado has lots to do.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:55:06 PM by Tak »

Princess Lala

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 09:27:44 AM »
TEXAS!!!!! Hon, you have to visit Texas. Its one of the best states ever, if not in the top 3 only because Florida and California have disney parks. I said it once and i'll say it again Austin's variety puts california to shame- believe me! We even have a beautiful beach a few hours away from Austin called mustang island-which is a real island! We have EVERYTHING around Austin you can think of and if you love Japanese things, around my area in DFW is the best place for anime figures, cute snacks, Pokemon, all that fun stuff! The scenery is also beautiful! And no we aren't just plains lol- just west of me are some crazy amazing hill formations and fossil parks. They are very neat. We also have art museums, zoos,  amazing aquariums, and not to mention that I live down the road a ways from one of the BEST zaggot rated pizza places IN THE COUNTRY. I'm not joking! 

Its a mild and very rainy year, so there's no excuse that its too hot in Texas! Maine is even supposed to be hotter than Texas this year, I've had blankets this entire season because of how chilly it is from the constant rain.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 12:09:09 PM »
As a lifelong Kentuckian, I recommend Kentucky. Beautiful scenery, mountains in the Eastern part as well as Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge Parks. The Reptile Zoo is by Natural Bridge. Kentucky is Horse Country and Lexington has the Kentucky Horse Park which is incredible. The Northern part of Kentucky where I'm originally from is well developed with lots of restaurants and shopping in Florence. Newport on the Levee has a lot to do and is right next t to Cincinnati. Also if you end up in Northern Kentucky, you gotta try Skyline Chili, Gold Star Chili or Dixie Chili and Graeter`s ice cream and La Rosa`s Pizzeria.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 10:23:11 PM »
I lived in Kansas for more than 10 years.  98% of it is... not very exciting unless you're visiting friends.  It's not a tourist friendly state.  Kansas City is your best bet.  The rest is private farm land, tiny towns and cities and homes.  If you go, try to look up local festivals and plan your time around then.  There are also a few small zoos and the Flint Hills might be interesting to you.  But the zoos don't compare to the ones you'll find in CA.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal