collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First brag-my recovered childhood ponies  (Read 1605 times)

Offline bathynomus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
First brag-my recovered childhood ponies
« on: May 15, 2016, 05:46:58 PM »
Hello all!  I mostly lurk here in the forum, enjoying other people's brags and finds.  But I've finally got one of my own now.  A few weeks ago I went back to the ancestral home and was able to find some of the stuff I'd been thinking about recovering, including Kenner LPS and Puppy in my Pockets...and some of my childhood ponies!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

They're super dirty, but there is little damage to the symbols and no chew marks or trauma or anything.   Sky Rocket is pretty hard and may have a couple of spots of mold/cancer and the baby sea pony does too.  I've given them all a preliminary bath and condition.  The hair is very frizzy and there is a lot of ingrained dirt, so I'm thinking an oxyclean bath and some heavy duty conditioner is the next step.

My childhood favorite, Medley, has seen better days.  I'm pretty sure there's tar all over her, her symbols are almost all gone, and her tail is pretty shot.  But, maybe I can customize her into some sort of Super Medley?

The only one that may not be savable is Majesty.  She's got, uh, skin issues.

Thanks for reading!  I'm pretty excited to get these girls looking as good as they'll get.
Collecting instagram: @hoarderbabytrash

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
Re: First brag-my recovered childhood ponies
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 06:22:33 PM »
So happy you saved them!

And I love skyrocket!
:accomplished:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 06:34:08 PM »
It must be nice to rediscover childhood friends. ^^ congrats
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Spinky69er

• BBE Enthusiast Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+160)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 10:28:33 PM »
So glad that you could be reunited with your childhood herd :)  Thanks for sharing this happy moment with us :frolic:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:48:40 PM »
Don't put Sky Rocket in Oxyclean - she's got both neon hair and iridescent paint, both of which do not play nicely with oxy.  I'd also hold off on customizing any of your childhood ponies- sure they may be rough, but they're yours.  There never will be any replacements for them, and you'd be surprised what can be restored.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 12:41:25 AM »
Congrats! It must feel amazing to be reunited with your cherished ponies. It's always great to rediscover old toys. :heart:

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »
Congrats, it must be nice to meet again your childhood friends.I don't know what it feels like, i didn't had any ponies growing up.

Karebearcntdwn

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 04:53:49 PM »
Oh ponies and puppy in my pocket! Those were my two favorite toys growing up. It's hard to watch things you grew up with change so drastically, I bet you were delighted to see your old toys and best of luck cleaning them!

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 12:11:50 AM »
Happy you have them back again! :3
Must be a really nice feeling to see them again and knowing they are truely yours and belonged to no one else. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

lostpony

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 03:35:31 AM »
I didn't have any ponies growing up either which may be why I love the ones with play wear on them so much.

So nice to be reunited with old friends!

I'm new but from what I understand you want to make sure to boil the ones with cancer (confirm that with someone with more experience if you plan to do so).

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 01:57:47 AM »
This is my favourite kind of brag - childhood ponies!!!  Some of my girls look very well loved too but they still hold pride of place in my collection because of all of the memories they hold.  Congrats on reuniting with your childhood friends :lovey:

Offline bathynomus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 09:27:54 AM »
Thank you everyone for your kind words!  Today I'm going to tackle cleaning more aggressively.  They still smell like stale tobacco even after an initial washing.   >_<

Reading up on restoration stuff now!

Collecting instagram: @hoarderbabytrash

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 05:26:15 PM »
Huge congrats! Childhood ponies are always the most special. So glad that you found yours. :)

hbosche

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 06:22:24 PM »
Congrats! The best feeling is rediscovering those old toys! I found whitening toothpaste and a toothbrush and/or a magic eraser to be miracle workers (not on symbols/eyes/paint etc). You'd be surprised what can be cleaned up! Congrats and good luck with their spa treatments.

lostpony

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 02:38:56 AM »
Some of the ponies I get on eBay have been smelly with stale smoke smell so what I do is soak them in strong laundry soap in a bucket with something like a rock pushing them under the surface.  I use liquid Tide Free and let them soak for a day or two....you can also take the heads off and clean them out inside.  I've been obsessively taking the heads off most ponies for washing and letting them dry thoroughly with the heads off after washing to ensure no trapped moisture...I'm mentioning this because the smoky smell can hide inside too and I suspect pony cancer can develop in there too.

Keep in mind I have been at this less than a year so I don't even close to know everything and my methods are for eBay recovered ponies not cherished childhood friends so take my heavy-handed cleaning ideas with a grain of salt!  But a good long soak completely immersed in strong laundry soap is pretty effective on smoke smell for ponies.

(Hm salt, does that clean ponies? hahaha)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:41:07 AM by lostpony »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal