collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Are Your Pony Brushing Combing Tool Preferences? How do you comb?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
I guess I always took it for granted.
Everyone has some brush or comb they rely on for ponies. But now, with G4s not always coming with a brush, or only coming with those super dinky ones that aren't good for much, I would imagine some new collectors are left out in the cold with ponies who have messy hair. I wanted to ask the question now, as many different new brushes/combs have been releasing with ones like Fashion Styles & EQG & such.

What is your preferred method for de-tangling those flea market finds, lot buys & toy box treasure ponies?
Do you brush only?
Do you rely on combs?
What's your method to de-tangle without promoting frizz?
How do you brush messy but original curl without losing it?

I rely on an old 1980s Strawberry Shortcake comb because it is VERY sturdy and has wide blunt teeth
I also like a EQG brush I got out of a bargain bin at a flea. The brush itself isn't really pretty, but the way its shaped lets you hold onto it wet or dry & the bristles are bendy/resilient without breaking hairs or frizzing

Also good: Fashion style rarity's comb w/handle (not the floral pick shaped one)
Barbie's generic brush: it's teeth are soft enough
"Sally Beauty" that 'styling comb' that's always black, with very pointed handle end (for separate hair) and very fine teeth

Not as good:
G1 combs??? They're becoming too brittle to use as a utility which is sort of bothersome because other old combs of the era didn't?
G3 brush: very rounded it becomes hard to hold onto if wet
G1 brush: I'd be afraid to use it, even the soft one on detangling

I'm curious for opinions or even photos of what you like to use to fix up hair!

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
I've always gotten by with a plain ol cheap plastic everyday comb! (The kind with a pointy handle and fine teeth) And lots of conditioner.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:36:04 PM by buttonso »

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
For the most part I just use a regular comb. I have used the brush that came with the sitting Fashion Style Pinkie, but an actual comb works so much better.

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
    • View Profile
Yup, cheap plastic comb for me too. One of the ones where the spacing between the teeth is wider at one end and closer at the other, so I can choose if I want narrow or wide spacing to tackle a tangle with. And lots of conditioner! 

For original curl, I'd probably spritz with water and finger comb. That's what I did for Kingsley's mane:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:48:10 PM by shadowlark »

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
I use a shower comb (one with the wide teeth) when the hair is wet to comb the conditioner through and usually a small travel brush or comb when it's dry.  Sometimes, I'll use a G3 brush if I'm just doing a modest cleanup on a pony.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Ianthe99

• Trade Count: (0)
I use a pet Untangler comb. It's sturdy plastic with steel teeth that rotate. I make sure the hair is washed and then I leave the conditioner in for a little while. Then I comb through the hair, starting from the tips and working my way up. I don't rinse the conditioner out until the very end. For original curls, I try to gingerly comb them back into shape using the comb and my fingers. If I need a little more, I wash, condition and comb all with cool water, then rinse in cold, and try to put them back into shape. Then I lay the pony or try to support the curls somehow and leave them that way for a few days.

Here's the comb I use. I love it. http://www.amazon.com/Tan-Comb-Cat-Untangler-5/dp/B0002DJZUG/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1460083941&sr=8-14&keywords=cat+detangler+comb

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I've got a few of those mini grooming brushes that came with some of my Grand Champions and Kid Connections. They work well for ponies too. :)

My method for tangled hair is to condition it, brush it when its wet and slimy and brush it again after I've rinsed and partially dried it with a towel.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:24:17 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
Oh gosh, I'll just admit I use G4 combs and live with my shame! :blush:

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I had an extra dog comb. The de-shedding ones with metal tines that are closer on one side. I used to be a professional groomer. The handles are comfortable and they last forever.

Offline pony_magick

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
I use metal dog combs as I heard plastic combs create too much static and pull at the hair.

For original curls (depending on the type) I'd get it slightly wet and comb it around something with same size/shape so you keep the curl in place but just tidy it up a bit.
I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

rolllerblades

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What Are Your Pony Brushing Combing Tool Preferences? How do you comb?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 11:14:59 PM »
I use a toothbrush...... which I'm now realizing is kind of an odd choice  :rain:

Offline shadowlark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 11:46:19 PM »
I use a toothbrush...... which I'm now realizing is kind of an odd choice  :rain:

Hey, whatever works for you!

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 12:15:42 AM »
I use barbie brushes.....they work awesome!!  :lol:

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 01:40:46 AM »
When I'm cleaning ponies with tangly hair (i.e. quite often, as I do a lot of restoration) I have a fine-tooth metal comb for the tangles, and also a small Mason &Pearson hairbrush (Mason &Pearson hairbrushes are amazing, I use a bigger one for my own hair, they are perfect for thick, prone-to-tangling hair).
For tidying up ponies who are already clean and on display, I have a little pink plastic hairbrush that came with a box of fakies. Brushing pony hair is fun (or is that just me?).

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 02:14:33 AM »
If I'm not washing ponies, and just giving them a comb through off the shelf, I use a G1 baby duck comb. It's sturdy and seems to work well. For washing ponies, I use a G3 brush. I have an abundance of them (I found one in my sock drawer once!) They do tend to get very slippery when wet, but they detangle well enough for me. Sometimes I use the large gold G4 comb - the one they packaged with the big talking princesses.

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal