collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you study for subjects you have trouble with?  (Read 565 times)

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
How do you study for subjects you have trouble with?
« on: April 07, 2016, 07:47:38 AM »
I'm not a mathematically inclined person, but many math classes are required for my major at school, Computer Science, which is a subject I absolutely adore.  It got me thinking I should work on ways to study things I find completely uninteresting and difficult.  There's no better way to get ideas on how to do it than ask other people I figured.  So how do you successfully learn when you have a lot of difficulty with a subject?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do you study for subjects you have trouble with?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »
Could you take something you love and include it in the math problems? 

For example: Little Suzy has 12 apples ponies.  If each apple pony weighs 6 grams and Suzy can carry 36 grams, how many apples ponies can she carry at a time? 

I know the math you're doing is going to be way more complex than that, but even if you make the substitutions only in your head, it might help.  (And it doesn't have to be ponies, I just used that because it's the arena  :biggrin:)

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 02:05:40 PM »
When I struggled with astronomy, I started getting tutored by a fellow student who did it as part of a work study program. Does your university have tutors available?

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 02:58:16 PM »
I have to admit, the idea of turning derivatives into some kind of pony equation sounds hilarious.  "What rate is Sparkle Pony's collection increasing by at week 5?"  I have been thinking about getting a tutor too, although scheduling is a bit difficult since I do not live on the campus for my school.  I'm definitely considering it though!

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »
I would tell you my method for general exams, but I can't really for math. I could never get good at that subject, and I...came out with a passing grade in College Algebra just because a big ice storm happened on the week of finals and my 'practice test' went in as my final exam... (I might have had a D for the class if I had to have actually taken that final. T.T)

Sooo glad my degree in Musicology will not require any further maths.

...But your degree does, unfortunately. I suppose ask around for help. You've started doing that with this topic, but I would try the professors, tutors, maybe. Their objective is to teach you before it is to grade you! I know math is a very frustrating subject, though. I get it.. It's never been one of those things that has clicked for me and I don't know if it even can.

I wish you the best!

|My Collection|

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 03:26:06 PM »
Tutors and making it more fun are great ideas. Also, maybe find a friend in your class to study with? I've always hated studying, even subjects I love, but with my BFF we had so much fun studying that I started looking forward to it.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 05:14:35 PM »
Rote memorization.  Hence why I can still multiply!  7 x 8 = 56 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 06:02:04 PM »
Tutoring and honestly spending more time with the subject.  I was always pretty bad at math; it was my worst class in high school but I got decent at it in college (repetition really does help.). I teach it, among other things, to middle schoolers now.  :)

You can always try looking for YouTube videos and apps that can help explain processes to you.  there's a lot of good teaching websites out there.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 07:01:03 PM »
I usually feel like I understand a concept, but very quickly either forget it or start to confuse it with other similar concepts.  I wish that math stuck in my mind better, that's my biggest issue as I'm fine in practically any other subject.  An app might be good I really benefit from step by step walkthroughs of problems, but do better without videos usually.  I know, I'm a mess! :P  (Also maybe I should work on some rote memorization techniques too haha)

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 07:49:09 PM »
When I took French we had to write a skit with two other people every three weeks, and then preform it from memory. I was absolutely horrible at it, so I would record the entire skit myself using my computer, and then I put it on my ipod, so that whenever I was doing anything that I could listen to it, I was. And I was memorizing my lines and when my timing was that way.

Math was also my least favorite/worst subject while going through school. But I excel at English. So for me, I memorized mathematical formulas by making them in to stories that I could put visuals to (A super, super, super simple example, if I wanted to memorize that 4 x 4 = 16, I would think of a pair of twins that couldn't get their driver's permit until they were 16, so they dressed up in a trench coat to trick the DMV). Like I said; super simple. When I got in to college it became a little harder to do lol. But not impossible.

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

rolllerblades

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »
Wow another person majoring in computer science who's not the best at math. Here I thought I was the only one haha

I like to have a friend who is/was in the same class. Tutors are nice but it sticks in my brain better when it's said in simplier terms

You could bring simplier terms to your notes too. It's much easier to remember something if you write it down in your own way. There's also no shame in formula charts and turning to the calculator a few (in my case: MANY) times

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 05:46:13 AM »
Studying with a friend can make things more fun and learning easier.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 06:39:28 AM »
I find it really helps me get ideas for things I'm not strong at if I have to explain it to someone else.  If there is someone you can study with?  Then you can work the things out together. 

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 06:52:43 AM »
Wow another person majoring in computer science who's not the best at math. Here I thought I was the only one haha

I like to have a friend who is/was in the same class. Tutors are nice but it sticks in my brain better when it's said in simplier terms

You could bring simplier terms to your notes too. It's much easier to remember something if you write it down in your own way. There's also no shame in formula charts and turning to the calculator a few (in my case: MANY) times
Heeey computing buddies who are bad at math!  I think I really should go back to my notes are rewrite them in simple terms.  I benefit a lot from having things made simpler.

I do have a friend who is in another section of the same class.  She even lives off campus like me.  I should get my schedule on gear, it's a total mess, and invite her to study.

There's lots of good advice here, keep it coming everyone!

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 07:26:41 AM »
Could you take something you love and include it in the math problems? 

For example: Little Suzy has 12 apples ponies.  If each apple pony weighs 6 grams and Suzy can carry 36 grams, how many apples ponies can she carry at a time? 

I know the math you're doing is going to be way more complex than that, but even if you make the substitutions only in your head, it might help.  (And it doesn't have to be ponies, I just used that because it's the arena  :biggrin:)
Ponies definetly worked for me when learning MS Access. Now I have a gigantic database of pony characters I've made up like I always wanted. For real, if you try to incorportae something you're good at into it, it might just work.

It's funny though, I just came home from the library reading a work when one of the main girls, the artistic Flox also was terrible at math and the other main character, Pervinka was helping her with it. She tried explaining the area formulas for shapes by comparing it to objects needed to be painted. I remember, when I needed to learn the locations of certain cities in the blind map, I made constellations out of them as well because those were easier to remember then a bunch of dots.

Try experimenting around and see what sticks.

P.S.: I've also applied to Computer Science and I'm also bad at math.  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal