collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: WOLFIECHICK's AUTHENTIC REVERSE GUSTY found in 1997 in the UK!  (Read 11765 times)

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
Re: WOLFIECHICK's AUTHENTIC REVERSE GUSTY found in 1997 in the UK!
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2016, 08:30:19 AM »
Kitkatvintage I would lean more towards authentic too :heart: I agree about seeing a closer pic of her weave. Also intrigued to know where she came from?

Ember1 and Babydoll what is the diameter of your RG's washers?

Ember1, Babydoll and KKV how long does the mane measure?

Love pkw xxx

I won't be able to take pics of mine until Friday. :)

Babydoll~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2016, 01:14:36 PM »
My RG mane measures 3.2 inches long
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:19:25 PM by Ember1 »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
Re: WOLFIECHICK\'s AUTHENTIC REVERSE GUSTY found in 1997 in the UK!
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2016, 05:20:14 PM »
The mane on mine measures about 3 inches to 3 1/16 inches. It does not curve as far around the neck as the pictures of Ember's on page one. My childhood US Gusty's mane also measures 3 1/16 inches (I know hers was never trimmed). My Scandinavian Gusty's mane is just slightly longer at 3 1/8 inches.

The tail measures 5 11/16 inches.

Post Merge: April 27, 2016, 05:32:40 PM

Another note about the coffee brown eyeliner... As I've recently been photographing all of my collection, I've noticed several US sets produced in "year 6" 1987/88 and "year 7" 1988/89 also have that same brown eyeliner. I'm wondering if the Pony Friends set with NSS Truly & Cupcake was also produced around that time. If so, it could pin an approximate year of manufacture to the Reverse Gusty.

And ultimately what I'm wondering is this: if the UK got the Princesses, Happy Tails, & Flutter  Variants, is it possible that the Reverse Gusty is another pony that was sold as part of those "mix up"/"factory errors"/"end of the line"?

For what it's worth, my Happy Tails variants have brown eyeliner, too. ;)

Edit to add:
So I've looked around a bit & I think I have the years for the ponies used in the Princess & Happy Tails variants and Pony Friends set. If anyone can verify this or add to it, please do!
Princesses in the UK - 1987
Princesses in Germany (regular colors) - 1987
Princesses in Germany (alt colors) - 1988??
Happy Tails UK & Europe - 1988
Pony Friends (NSS Truly & Cupcake) - 1988
...this matches up to the years that several US sets had brown eyeliner, so maybe (and this is a big MAYBE) we can assume that Reverse Gusty would have been made around 1987/88 when other ponies were being produced with brown eyeliner AND when ponies who ended up in the UK variant batches were produced.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:06:38 PM by kitkatvintage »

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2016, 06:31:05 PM »
I am pulling the hair straight when I measure kitkatvintage. Are you doing that too?

The oddball uk variants were just made from left over mixed parts. Since the real reverse gusty differs symbol wise from the UK version, it is highly unlikely in my opinion she could be from that late time period.

I believe Reverse Gusty is a scandinavian test run.  The Real Reverse gusty has her own unique symbol, hair and eyeliner and is very detailed compared to the scandi gusty but matches the scandi version most closely out of all the gustys made elsewhere.. THE GLITTER is the giveaway. Comparing Reverse Gusty Glitter to Scandi Gusty Glitter they both have the same silvery purple glitter.. Whereas the US gusty glitter is a stark heavy purple color by contrast.

I believe she was made in a small test run batch and may have been shipped to the UK for approval since they were making the packaging for the Scandinavian countries.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:05:02 PM by Ember1 »
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline kitkatvintage

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2016, 07:04:17 PM »
I am pulling the hair straight when I measure kitkatvintage. Are you doing that too?

Yes.

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2016, 07:05:49 PM »
Ok ill check with a ruler.. I was checking with a tape measure before.. Ill measure again and see if there is any difference

Offline kitkatvintage

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2016, 07:25:44 PM »
I think I've found a Hasbro match for RG's hair color as well. Some of my Kimber dolls have a very cherry pink shade compared to the more common true red that most Kimbers have. The cherry Kimbers are mostly the 2nd Year versions (1987) with a few 1st Year versions.

I think the UK Glow In The Dark Princess Royal Blue variant used hair left over from the Moondreamers line. It's possible that Reverse Gusty was made using left over stock of the later Kimbers' hair in the then discontinued Jem line.

The brown eyeliner is unique compared to other Gusties, but it's not unique in the whole MLP line.

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
I think that anything is possible.. But I still don't buy that the UK made her.. To me the evidence that she's a Scandinavian release is too strong. Mine has silvery purple glitter symbols match Scandi gustys silvery purple symbols even though the stencils are different. And the UK didn't release any ponies with glitter symbols so I find it a bit odd that they would do this for just this one pony.
I think the Reverse Gusty was a small Scandinavian test batch and for whatever reason was dumped or abandoned in the UK. Probably had to do with packaging related errors since the UK was responsible for the packaging of the Scandinavian line.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:07:14 PM by Ember1 »

Offline kitkatvintage

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2016, 08:42:09 PM »
I'm not saying that she was made in or for the UK market either.

My thoughts are just that she was made in some quantity (even if that quantity was very small) then packaged and sold in the same manner as the Princess Variants & company which appear to have been made primarily to use up leftover stock. The matching hair shade with later Kimber dolls and the brown eyeliner point to a possibility of being made around '87/88.

It's just a theory to put her somewhere in the timeline of pony production. ;)

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »
Or it could be a combination of our two theories :)
Suppose the Scandinavian countries made her in a small quantity for a packaging test run but for some reason decided to release the more normal looking gusty. Perhaps the UK packaged up the remnants of the small production and distributed them when they were running out of stock around 87 or 88?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:03:08 AM by Ember1 »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2016, 05:16:34 AM »

I think the UK Glow In The Dark Princess Royal Blue variant used hair left over from the Moondreamers line.

We need LadyG! From what I remember her saying I don't think the hair was a match and the only Moon Dreamer I have had in my hand had pink hair so I can't help :blush:

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
Re: WOLFIECHICK\'s AUTHENTIC REVERSE GUSTY found in 1997 in the UK!
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2016, 11:54:50 AM »
My reverse gusty doesnt match my red haired tootsie either.
Her hair color is still more pink and tootsie has an orangy red.

Post Merge: April 28, 2016, 12:12:10 PM

I measured with a  ruler.. Mine reverse gusty mane is 3.2 inches long
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:12:10 PM by Ember1 »

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2016, 01:30:13 PM »

I think the UK Glow In The Dark Princess Royal Blue variant used hair left over from the Moondreamers line.

We need LadyG! From what I remember her saying I don't think the hair was a match and the only Moon Dreamer I have had in my hand had pink hair so I can't help :blush:

Love pkw xxx

The consistency is definitely the same, but I have only ever had one Moondreamer to compare with, and that one is a rare UK variant apparently! I have suggested it may have been a possibility since the feel is the same, but I don't know enough of the Moondreamer line to know what other figures are out there. The GITD hair on the ponies is quite green, but my Moondreamer is definitely blue.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »
Ember the red is different, how does Tootsie's red compare to regular Gusty's stripe?

LadyG the texture is the same :) it was the first thing I noticed when I got Whimsy. I think the other dolls I briefly looked at online didn't seem to be a match, but it's hard when you can't compare things in real life.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline kitkatvintage

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2016, 02:35:56 PM »
I don't have any Moondreamers to compare Glow In The Dark Royal Blue to, but my first guess was that she matched Whimzee the blue-green haired one. There was a green haired doll planned for their 1988 line which was canceled before going into production. She's near the bottom of this page with the peacock pet:
http://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/moondreamers-unproduced.php

I will try to get some pictures of my RG with the red haired Tootsie I have as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal