collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: WOLFIECHICK's AUTHENTIC REVERSE GUSTY found in 1997 in the UK!  (Read 11925 times)

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: WOLFIECHICK's AUTHENTIC REVERSE GUSTY found in 1997 in the UK!
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »
How about Skyflier.. Does anyone have a sky flyer to compare the RG hair to?
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2016, 03:30:32 PM »
I don't have any Moondreamers to compare Glow In The Dark Royal Blue to, but my first guess was that she matched Whimzee the blue-green haired one. There was a green haired doll planned for their 1988 line which was canceled before going into production. She's near the bottom of this page with the peacock pet:
http://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/moondreamers-unproduced.php

I will try to get some pictures of my RG with the red haired Tootsie I have as well.

It does indeed look like it should be a match :bigups:

I got the dolls name totally wrong, the doll I had was the one that comes with the bear......Binky :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2016, 06:12:54 PM »
I did check PKW.. The color of RG red matches closely to gusty's red stripe. So now I am wondering if Skyflier would be a dead match.
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2016, 01:03:26 AM »
I think my UK variant Moondreamer has the same hair as Whimzee, which is definitely a different colour to variant Sapphire's hair (and Princess Woosie)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2016, 12:55:20 PM »
I checked her mane length and its about 3.1 inches. I also checked her washer and its around the same size as yours Kitkatvintage :)

I also think her hair is a very close match to Pina Colada's streak ( still not an exact match as RV Gusty's hair seems a tiny bit lighter in comparrison unless its just my eyes playing tricks on me :P)

Im not a moondreamers expert but i have sold a few over the years, i have noticed there seems to be a few with different shades of hair, i sold Whimzee recently and she had more of a blue tinge shade but i have had her in the past and she had a green shade like GITD Princess. :huh:

Babydoll~

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2016, 01:19:25 PM »
Hmm i wouldnt have thought of pina colada .
You can see how pinky her hair really is in this photo.
Does anyone know if skyfliers hair is this shade?
PS that is the card my fiance gave me with gusty on my birthday. They go so well together.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 01:20:57 PM by Ember1 »

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2016, 01:30:13 PM »
Hmm i wouldnt have thought of pina colada .
You can see how pinky her hair really is in this photo.
Does anyone know if skyfliers hair is this shade?
PS that is the card my fiance gave me with gusty on my birthday. They go so well together.

Yeah i didnt either but i was taking pics of Pina Colada to list on ebay today and noticed her streak looked similar to RV's hair! I dont have Skyflier maybe Kitkatvintage could help with that!?

Awww thats so sweet, i really do love that little heart pendant too suits her! :heart:

Babydoll~

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2016, 01:35:22 PM »
On the subject of Kimber, the interesting thing about Kimber and her variations is that Cherry Kimbers are made in China. The 2nd year Cherry Kimbers, anyway. The first year Cherry Kimbers are made in Hong Kong or China - but they are without exception sold in the North American market. The second year Chinese Cherry Kimbers were sold worldwide, including in the UK - my first doll was a Cherry Kimber - and here she is more common than the pink streaked 2nd Kimber.

First year Kimbers sold in the UK were made in HK or no country (and they do not match Spanish or Mexican produced dolls), but their hair is not the same shade as Cherry Kimber's.

RG is made in Hong Kong, not China. If we're assuming she was in production at the same time as Cherry Kimber, then that means the same shade of hair was being used in both factories. But we've seen adequate evidence of batch and manufacture issues to make that uncertain. I don't think that we can use Cherry Kimber to authenticate or locate RG - because the implication would be that she was from the HK factory where they made US-sold Cherry Kimbers, but not Kimber dolls for the UK or most of Europe.

In short, I think that's two toy lines and it's hard to tie those things together.

Secondly, the Movie Star ponies here in the UK generally have black eyeliner, not brown. I mention this because it's the only release of Gusty in the UK  - although I would be interested in whether BabyDoll's two MOC ones both have black eyeliner or brown or one of each, as I don't know how consistent this is or whether it's batch related.

Again, I;m not sure what that says about any version of RG, but it's just something to take into account.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:19:10 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2016, 03:12:50 PM »
Taffeta that is a REALLY good point about HK vs. China!

Ember I can see why you are asking about Skyflier since she is in the same set as US Gusty in year 3 :) I wonder about Powder's stripe too now? Another pony released in year 3 was Sea Mist and she has that pinky neon red colour hair.

Cherrytreat's (who you think was used to make your fake pony) is a year 6 pony and year 6 is when there was a mix of HK, Thailand and China ponies produced. Quite a few ponies did get the pink neon red colour either as a whole or as a stripe, I think some of the TE ponies for that hair colour and Sugarberry did as well.

Do anyone know which year Scandinavian Gusty got released? I can't quite find out as she appears with year 3 ponies?

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290686.msg115910.html#msg115910

Love pkw xxx

RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2016, 03:31:47 PM »
The answer would be on the back of the card, but people don't seem inclined to post those online, just the front of them MOC. I think Ponyland had a MOC Powder on this card so she might be able to answer that clearly.

The style of the card (basing it on UK style conventions, albeit loosely) indicates earlier rather than later: The name in blue under the rainbow is a feature of 1985 (Groom and Style) on UK style cards for early ponies like this. 1986 has names in banner ribbons. I would hazard a guess that the art style is also quite similar to that used for the Groom and Style ponies here. So I would suggest 1985 or at a push, 1986. But the real answer would be on the bottom of the backcard:-/.

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/cherries_jubilee.htm
There's a good comparison of what I mean in terms of the style of card here on CJ's page - the only thing is that, because these were made for an export market, it's not necessarily going to match to the UK conventions. I am 99% sure that the Pony Friends card - which resembles the UK 1986 card in its style of art and such - was actually 1987, so maybe 1986 is a good estimate for the Scandinavian set.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2016, 06:38:06 PM »
PKW, I believe it was cherry treats that was used for the fake pony. The washer is larger too.
The color doesnt match the real RG at all but the scammer wouldnt have known that ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:27:59 PM by Ember1 »

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2016, 09:26:24 AM »
Another note about the hair... all of the hair used on Hasbro's brushable toy lines in the 80's came from a single supplier regardless of the country the toys were assembled in. Last year one of the guests at JemCon was Gina Beebe, a former Marketing VP at Hasbro during the 80's and early 90's. She was heavily involved in the design and production of the Jem line and shared a lot of interesting information about the production of all Hasbro toys in the 80's. Having a high quality hair that none of their competitors had was a high priority at the time. All hair used during that time came from a small family owned company in Italy that produced hair exclusively for Hasbro, then was shipped to the production factories in China, Hong Kong, Thailand, ect. On a side note, this company went out of business in the very late 80's and caused Hasbro to find another hair supplier. If you feel the hair, there's  a noticeable difference in the hair on later year US ponies and all of the U.K./Euro releases after the US line ended... it's a bit slicker, straighter, & doesn't have that gentle curl-under-the-chin effect of the earlier ponies. Sourcing components from different countries then shipping them to another place for production assembly was common during the 80's. Many of the plastic pieces for play sets were molded overseas, then sent to the US and assembled and packaged in Rhode Island in a building down the street from the Hasbro "design facility".

As far as the comparison pics with other year 3 ponies, I'll try to get those this weekend. I've had a lot going on this week and haven't had time to work with the light box.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2016, 10:22:51 AM »
That's interesting, but I don't think it changes my point about the hair. We're talking not about where the supplies came from, but more about the batches and colours in production at particular times and for particular destinations.

The Jem community is way more connected to the production people for the series and the dolls than the pony one ever has been, but the weird thing about that is that, inspite of the amazing expertise and knowledge among some of those people, the ballwrist dolls were dismissed as superstar doll knockoffs originally, because they didn't fit in with the form appearance of first edition dolls. It was only when masses of MIB Benelux dolls appeared with the ball wrist variation that the official point of view had to change. My point is that manufacturing information in online communities is very US-centric, and not always global. A case in point - most playsets in the UK from the MLP line are made and/or assembled in the UK or somewhere in Europe (eg W.Germany, Spain) even if the building is stamped with Hasbro R.I in the plastic.

I think the hair probably all came from that one place, but that's not really the issue. When we have Cherry Kimber consistently sold in the North American release, whilst ball wrist Kimber, with her weird haircut, different shade red hair and scary makeup was being sold in Europe at the same time and with marked variations to most of her accessories, it's impossible to assume they're all being made under the same instructions.

My general assumption is that there are either two factories involved, one for each destination, or one factory with two sections and two lots of orders. The ballwrists are some marked HK and some not, but all the boxes say made in HK on them, so that puts them in the same location roughly as the Cherry first year Kimbers. But yet there's no cross-contamination going on, not like we see with some of the pony lines.

So if we're putting RG in Europe, all these comparisons need to be validated at a European level. I don't think Jem can do this, because I don't think Jem's hair shades are necessarily relevant to what's going on with MLP in the middle 1980s.

With that in mind, I'm not sure if Skyflier was part of the Scandinavian set, but realistically, the comparison of hair shades should be with her, rather than a US release one, just to be sure.

As far as I know, there are no ponies from the UK in that time frame that have this red hair. Sunburst and Gusty's streak are the first in 1987, and Sunburst is almost certainly too dark for a match in this case (I think). Admittedly I'm not certain about Baby Gusty's streak (1986). That might match. I'm also pretty sure the same applies for Jem - Cherry 2nd Kimber was also here in 1987.

Edit to add: Or Tropical Breeze. Looking at the one on my shelf, her hair looks CherryKimberish. Of course, they were made in China, too, but has anyone made a comparison with her?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:50:01 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2016, 04:02:41 AM »
Ah my little baby :heart:

I do miss her but no regrets - humongous change in priorities over here due to recent events :)

I'm just so pleased she will be appreciated and loved in her new home as she was here with me :biggrin: :heart:

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2016, 03:01:26 PM »

Secondly, the Movie Star ponies here in the UK generally have black eyeliner, not brown. I mention this because it's the only release of Gusty in the UK  - although I would be interested in whether BabyDoll's two MOC ones both have black eyeliner or brown or one of each, as I don't know how consistent this is or whether it's batch related.

Again, I;m not sure what that says about any version of RG, but it's just something to take into account.

I just have the one MOC girl now, I thought it was a bit cheeky of me to hog the two MOC Gusty Movie Stars :P She definately has black eyeliner though. My MOC Shady has brown eyeliner :)

Has anyone seen how the French alt hair (Purple hair Windy etc) or Italians with alt hair Bluemoon & Coral Tickle were packaged?

Babydoll~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal