collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you host a Pony Meet?  (Read 3855 times)

Offline thesugarpuppie

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • formerly Gothic Sugar
    • View Profile
    • My sites
How do you host a Pony Meet?
« on: March 07, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »
Hi, everyone.

I've wanted to go to a meet for a while now, but I haven't been able to.  There is one in my state, but because of time and location, I just can't go.  My major issue though is the fact that it's on Saturday which is a no go for me.  So I was thinking of doing one on a Sunday but I need to know; what goes into starting a meet and hosting it?  I definitely don't want it to be boring.  Is there time for the hostess to have fun?  How do you come up with events? 

So far I'm thinking
*swap/sale
*raffle
*pony id game/name that pony
*jar of ponies (this is a maybe because I have to get the ponies to fill the jar bit by bit)
*cutie mark darts

Food wise i was thinking of catering, or pizza

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Also, I intend it to be friendly to multiple generations, but not a "brony" event. 
Instagram
Twitter
Ko-fi
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

anykapainyka

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How do you host a Pony Meet?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 08:33:09 PM »
I know this is not currently relevant but I had a suggestion for     
*jar of ponies (this is a maybe because I have to get the ponies to fill the jar bit by bit)
        perhaps filling the jar with pony shoes, accessories, animal friends, Blind bag etc might be a quicker/cost effective option   
   :think:

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 08:47:21 PM »
Following!

I'm hosting my own Pony Meet Up this summer and got some ideas from the Pacific NW Pony Party posting.

I will let you know how ours goes :) This is my first time to host, and I almost cancelled because it became overwhelming, at the beginning anyway. One thing I will say, is to try to make it simple and easy for you. Unless you have a team working for you, don't over complicate things, it will just put more stress on you and that's not good!

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 05:19:17 AM »
Well I think you made a good start with a list what you want to do on a meet.
Another thing to consider is how many people are allowed to come so it doesn't get too crowded, are you asking "food money".
And hell yeah, hostess is ofcourse also allowed to shop around for her herd :) Just make time for it.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 07:31:31 AM »
When it came time for me to host, I studied other meet threads. These might be good ones to reference for a meet expecting 20-30 people (good info on games & activities, prizes, setting up, scheduling, food etc):
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,347378.0.html
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,365613.msg1350936.html#msg1350936

And here's one from a fun mini-meet we did last month with 10-15 people:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,375745.0.html

Here are some specific hosting notes I made after hosting my first bigger meet:

Hosting notes/tips:

Setting up

Tables- don’t turn away tables! If folks have one, we could always use more. We need tables for pony sales, food, more food, game gifts, craft/art displays, and prize table.

Space- Spreading out is nice! Used all common space inside house, as well as large deck and 2 car garage.

Labels- Make ahead of time for labeling custom/art contest area, prize table, mystery game gifts etc.

Number the $10 Mystery Swap gifts as they come in, and have #ed slips prepared to hand out later.

Name tags- Put current avatar pictures on name tags again- this really helped know who everyone was!

Prizes

Encourage everyone to bring one or two small/inexpensive items for prize table. There were several contest ties, so it was a good thing to have a lot of items. Extras make great door prizes so everyone has a chance! 

Potluck

Have slots for signing up, such as Main Dish (spaces for 3-4 names) Fruit and Veggie sides (space for 3-4 names) Drinks etc

About an hour into the meet (after the initial shopping frenzy) have spouse start heating up the grill or other meal prep tasks.

Costco cake was a little big for the size crowd, and ponyqueen had no choice but to polish off the leftovers (with some help from MoondancerMilkyway and husband. Some.)

Have fresh drinking water available. Tap water in a pitcher was perfect. ^.^

Misc

Designate a photographer (perhaps a non-pony spouse?) To make sure we get lots of fun pics!

Things to print ahead of time:
Name tags with avatars
Caption entries
List of everyone’s names for door prizes
Numbers for mystery gift swap

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »
When it came time for me to host, I studied other meet threads. These might be good ones to reference for a meet expecting 20-30 people (good info on games & activities, prizes, setting up, scheduling, food etc):
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,347378.0.html
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,365613.msg1350936.html#msg1350936

And here's one from a fun mini-meet we did last month with 10-15 people:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,375745.0.html

Here are some specific hosting notes I made after hosting my first bigger meet:

Hosting notes/tips:

Setting up

Tables- don’t turn away tables! If folks have one, we could always use more. We need tables for pony sales, food, more food, game gifts, craft/art displays, and prize table.

Space- Spreading out is nice! Used all common space inside house, as well as large deck and 2 car garage.

Labels- Make ahead of time for labeling custom/art contest area, prize table, mystery game gifts etc.

Number the $10 Mystery Swap gifts as they come in, and have #ed slips prepared to hand out later.

Name tags- Put current avatar pictures on name tags again- this really helped know who everyone was!

Prizes

Encourage everyone to bring one or two small/inexpensive items for prize table. There were several contest ties, so it was a good thing to have a lot of items. Extras make great door prizes so everyone has a chance! 

Potluck

Have slots for signing up, such as Main Dish (spaces for 3-4 names) Fruit and Veggie sides (space for 3-4 names) Drinks etc

About an hour into the meet (after the initial shopping frenzy) have spouse start heating up the grill or other meal prep tasks.

Costco cake was a little big for the size crowd, and ponyqueen had no choice but to polish off the leftovers (with some help from MoondancerMilkyway and husband. Some.)

Have fresh drinking water available. Tap water in a pitcher was perfect. ^.^

Misc

Designate a photographer (perhaps a non-pony spouse?) To make sure we get lots of fun pics!

Things to print ahead of time:
Name tags with avatars
Caption entries
List of everyone’s names for door prizes
Numbers for mystery gift swap

This is good stuff! Many things to think about.. Thanks for sharing :)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »
Ah, PonyQueen. You remain my heroine.

GothicSugar, where are you from? If the problem is that you never get to go to a pony meet because the main one is always on a Saturday, perhaps you could suggest a Sunday? It might not work for other people, so don't feel hurt if they say no, but it's worth a shot!

Here's the big secret about hosting a pony meet- Pony People amuse themselves really well. Even after we've shopped everyone's table, we go back and shop again. So if you have space and tables, they will come. The first year they will probably trickle. Then they grow, and soon (as Ponyqueen realizes) they can't be stopped. But all a pony meet really needs is ponies and people to look at them, comment on them, and hopefully buy and trade them.

If you want to toss some food in there, awesome. But if you warn people ahead of time that there will not be food, they'll act accordingly.

I LOVE games, so I can't help but plan games. (Not always successful games, but I'm trying). The MN Meet has been playing a really simple dice game for the last few years, and it's amazing. Everyone brings prizes, you roll the dice for doubles, and you get to steal other people's presents. Simple, fun, requires no real set-up or equipment.

We also do a show-and-tell that is lots of fun- last time we showed off things we've made, things we've bought, special ponies, and PonyQueen did a presentation for us.

Hope this helps- and remember, if you have tables and space, they will bring the ponies. You will have fun, but if you have a helper it will make your day so much better. Husband/friend/mom, perfect.

I'll be watching this thread- I love hearing about pony meets!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 06:47:23 PM »
Ah, PonyQueen. You remain my heroine.

GothicSugar, where are you from? If the problem is that you never get to go to a pony meet because the main one is always on a Saturday, perhaps you could suggest a Sunday? It might not work for other people, so don't feel hurt if they say no, but it's worth a shot!

Here's the big secret about hosting a pony meet- Pony People amuse themselves really well. Even after we've shopped everyone's table, we go back and shop again. So if you have space and tables, they will come. The first year they will probably trickle. Then they grow, and soon (as Ponyqueen realizes) they can't be stopped. But all a pony meet really needs is ponies and people to look at them, comment on them, and hopefully buy and trade them.

If you want to toss some food in there, awesome. But if you warn people ahead of time that there will not be food, they'll act accordingly.

I LOVE games, so I can't help but plan games. (Not always successful games, but I'm trying). The MN Meet has been playing a really simple dice game for the last few years, and it's amazing. Everyone brings prizes, you roll the dice for doubles, and you get to steal other people's presents. Simple, fun, requires no real set-up or equipment.

We also do a show-and-tell that is lots of fun- last time we showed off things we've made, things we've bought, special ponies, and PonyQueen did a presentation for us.

Hope this helps- and remember, if you have tables and space, they will bring the ponies. You will have fun, but if you have a helper it will make your day so much better. Husband/friend/mom, perfect.

I'll be watching this thread- I love hearing about pony meets!

Could you tell me more info / rules on the dice game you mentioned?

Offline thesugarpuppie

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • formerly Gothic Sugar
    • View Profile
    • My sites
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 05:35:34 AM »
Thank you, everyone for all of the tips and advice so far.

Anykapainyka, I think that would work since Blind bags are easy to come by in ebay lots.  Thank you.

Ponqueen, thank you for thine links and your notes.  I'm the only one hosting/working on it so unless I can get family to help I'm flying solo.  I don't personally know any collectors in my area unfortunately. 

Aurora, I live in GA and I'm pretty sure it won't work.  The meet's pretty well established with their time/location.  I remember asking when they said something about new location suggestions a few years ago, so starting one seemed like the next best thing.  They were nice about it though.  And I can do Saturday night, just not Saturday.

Sweet Stuff, I'm also trying to figure out a venue.  I can't do it at home since I live with family at the moment so I'm looking around. If I thought that a Friday would work (I think most people work or don't have a flex job like I do) then I'd just have it at my favorite pizza place since they have event rooms that are really affordable. That way food would be taken care of and the venue.  They have a deal on catering ans space rental.  They even have gluten free options for those with gluten allergies.   But 'll put out a feeler and see. 

Another option was the library, but it has to be open to the public which seems like an okay idea, but then I wouldn't want it to get crowded which brings me to what Barnacle_lady and ponyqueen said.  I don't really know how many people to plan for.  Do you estimate a cap for your first year?  Is just limiting it to maybe 20 people a good idea? 

And how long should the meet last?  Is a couple of hours enough time for games and shopping or would it feel too rushed?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:57:23 AM by gothicsugar »
Instagram
Twitter
Ko-fi

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 07:33:40 AM »
Thank you, everyone for all of the tips and advice so far.

Anykapainyka, I think that would work since Blind bags are easy to come by in ebay lots.  Thank you.

Ponqueen, thank you for thine links and your notes.  I'm the only one hosting/working on it so unless I can get family to help I'm flying solo.  I don't personally know any collectors in my area unfortunately. 

Aurora, I live in GA and I'm pretty sure it won't work.  The meet's pretty well established with their time/location.  I remember asking when they said something about new location suggestions a few years ago, so starting one seemed like the next best thing.  They were nice about it though.  And I can do Saturday night, just not Saturday.

Sweet Stuff, I'm also trying to figure out a venue.  I can't do it at home since I live with family at the moment so I'm looking around. If I thought that a Friday would work (I think most people work or don't have a flex job like I do) then I'd just have it at my favorite pizza place since they have event rooms that are really affordable. That way food would be taken care of and the venue.  They have a deal on catering ans space rental.  They even have gluten free options for those with gluten allergies.   But 'll put out a feeler and see. 

Another option was the library, but it has to be open to the public which seems like an okay idea, but then I wouldn't want it to get crowded which brings me to what Barnacle_lady and ponyqueen said.  I don't really know how many people to plan for.  Do you estimate a cap for your first year?  Is just limiting it to maybe 20 people a good idea? 

And how long should the meet last?  Is a couple of hours enough time for games and shopping or would it feel too rushed?

I have had a horrrrrible ( yes I meant to type it that way :lol: ) time trying to find a suitable venue -- But I finally have two good options. It comes down to space, money and location.. Do I pay a little more for a bigger place and great location, OR do I go the cheaper route and have out of town/state  participants drive across town for the venue (depending upon where they stay)...? Hmm! I'm leaning towards the first option. To me, convenience is more important than my budget.. and I want to be a good hostess!  :blush: ^.^ 

You would think churches would be accommodating and at least nice if they can't hold small, public meetings/events but sheesh! Most churches who have available rent-able space never got back to me or said a snippy "NO." As a Christian I was SUPER embarrassed by one woman's attitude over the phone, but that's another topic..  :blush: :blink:  :P Anyways, one did get back to me, and their spaces were gorgeous, but their rate was by the hour not by day..

Regarding time -- I have put it as 11 am - 4 pm ish. with dinner later that evening for whoever wants to come. I've blocked about 2 hours for myself to get there beforehand and help with the set up and greeting.. 10 am is when people can start coming in, but 11 am is when it kicks off. I originally had it set for only like 11 am - 2 but felt like it would be rushed. I'm sure others who have hosted before can chime in. :)

Regarding people -- There is not a cap on mine, I didn't even think of putting one on it..  :lol: >_< :P
But, we've had a good turn out so far.. I'm not too worried -- I think having room for 20 is good. Ours is shaping up to be around 15 or so, so yeah. :) The venue I'm eyeing can hold various groups so it will work out in one of the smaller rooms, no problem, with plenty of seating and tables. Again, I'd be interested in hearing what other folks have to say. :)

Post Merge: March 09, 2016, 07:57:00 AM

Aurora, is this the dice game?? haha, I played something similar before. . .

http://www.dualingmoms.com/the-gift-grab-dice-game/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:57:00 AM by Sweet_Stuff »

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 06:50:18 AM »

I'd say this is the game, yes, but with some modifications. I didn't read the whole thing, but for starters the gifts are not $15, they are $1-$3 value. After my Yoga class this morning I'll type up a full run-through of the version we've been playing, with notes. It's fun and very inclusive!

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 07:57:35 AM »

I'd say this is the game, yes, but with some modifications. I didn't read the whole thing, but for starters the gifts are not $15, they are $1-$3 value. After my Yoga class this morning I'll type up a full run-through of the version we've been playing, with notes. It's fun and very inclusive!

Hi there! I'm sorry I didn't answer yesterday, pesky job. It does look like the right game, like PQ said. And the gifts are cheaper with our dice game, which is nice- everyone brings a few gifts, so usually no one ends up without a gift of some kind! Some people bring sort-of common ponies, little bits of accessories, stickers, and the artists usually put a piece or two of fabulous art in the mix. It's funny to see what people end up fighting for!
Another game that I've played at other meets is Pony Bingo- it takes a little bit of set-up, but it's still lots of fun and based on chance. The board doesn't have numbers, it has pony symbols. So you call out pony symbols, and after that it's pretty much just bingo. (You have to print up the boards yourself, I don't think anyone sells them!)
Hope this helps!

Re: Rental Spaces: In our area, there are lots of little groups that rent spaces- the Sam Walton league (I'm pretty sure that's the name) has a building they rent, the city hall has a room they rent, and the local gun club has a building they rent (though you have to be a member, which is $20 a year).  You could try calling your local Chamber of Commerce and seeing what they suggest. A few years ago we rented a room near the zoo, it was free but it also had a rule that you couldn't sell things unless you made a donation to the site- so be sure you check the little fine prints! I also know some people in apartment buildings have areas that can be rented/used, so check with the people you are inviting. I've also considered the local school, maybe they can let you use the gym for the morning or afternoon. Just a few thoughts- we went with the gun club, and it was a little small but worked great for a first meet, which is usually a little small anyway.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:03:02 AM by Aurora »

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 08:02:31 AM »
Thank you Aurora and ponyqueen!!

My pony friend / assistant and I are going to discuss the venue and possible games next week...I would like to do a coloring contest, but I have no vintage coloring books... maybe how many xxx are in a jar or a MLP quiz.. I figure the quiz or something like the dice game would be easier to set up.?

I like the idea of everyone getting at least one prize, too :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:04:22 AM by Sweet_Stuff »

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 08:03:39 AM »

My pony friend / assistant and I are going to discuss the venue and possible games next week...I would like to do a coloring contest, but I have no vintage coloring books... maybe how many xxx are in a jar or a MLP quiz.. I figure the quiz or something like the dice game would be easier to set up.?

There are a million printable sheets online!

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 08:04:54 AM »

There are a million printable sheets online!

Sheets for the quiz? :D

OHHHH!! You mean coloring sheets!  >_< :biggrin: :lol:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:15:22 AM by Sweet_Stuff »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal