collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you host a Pony Meet?  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: How do you host a Pony Meet?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 08:14:58 AM »
Thank you Aurora and ponyqueen!!

My pony friend / assistant and I are going to discuss the venue and possible games next week...I would like to do a coloring contest, but I have no vintage coloring books... maybe how many xxx are in a jar or a MLP quiz.. I figure the quiz or something like the dice game would be easier to set up.?

There are a million printable sheets online!

Sheets for the quiz? :D

Ooops, sorry about that! I meant coloring sheets. There are a few quizzes online, but they tend to be G4 only. There are also places to make your own crossword puzzles and word searches. Keep things pretty light- I tend to get a little intense on my games, and they stop being fun if they are too hard. (Or only certain people have fun with them, most people just get annoyed. Like I said earlier, I'm working on that.)

When we've done "how many are in the jar" games, it's nice to have that game sit by itself and people can just fill out their guess when they have a little time. In the past we've had prize tables and lots of little games, but it is also fun to have each game have a specific prize- for example, the "how many" game can win you this Dolly Mix pony, the coloring contest wins you these Pony Markers and notebook.
Be sure you hit up the guests for things like prizes- you don't have to spend as much money, and there's something you might want to win, too! Most people are happy to donate a couple things to a prize table.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 08:32:18 AM »
Thank you Aurora and ponyqueen!!

My pony friend / assistant and I are going to discuss the venue and possible games next week...I would like to do a coloring contest, but I have no vintage coloring books... maybe how many xxx are in a jar or a MLP quiz.. I figure the quiz or something like the dice game would be easier to set up.?

There are a million printable sheets online!

Sheets for the quiz? :D

Ooops, sorry about that! I meant coloring sheets. There are a few quizzes online, but they tend to be G4 only. There are also places to make your own crossword puzzles and word searches. Keep things pretty light- I tend to get a little intense on my games, and they stop being fun if they are too hard. (Or only certain people have fun with them, most people just get annoyed. Like I said earlier, I'm working on that.)

When we've done "how many are in the jar" games, it's nice to have that game sit by itself and people can just fill out their guess when they have a little time. In the past we've had prize tables and lots of little games, but it is also fun to have each game have a specific prize- for example, the "how many" game can win you this Dolly Mix pony, the coloring contest wins you these Pony Markers and notebook.
Be sure you hit up the guests for things like prizes- you don't have to spend as much money, and there's something you might want to win, too! Most people are happy to donate a couple things to a prize table.

Yeah, I just realized what you meant and added the ohhh you mean the coloring sheets!  :lol:

Ooooh ooohhh! I just found an awesome coloring sheet of Tex online!!! :squee: Might have to snag that one! ^.^

Yeah, several folks have already mentioned they are wanting to bring prizes to help out. :) :thumb: We got at least one nice prize (artwork) for the raffle, possibly a pony stable, too, and then smaller items for the other prizes.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 11:29:20 AM »
Okay, here are the dice game instructions from that link, with my notes in bold:

Supplies:

– everyone brings one two-three wrapped presents of a certain dollar amount (we do $15 $1-$3, but I’m sure there are some gifts that are more or less than that) (Also, someone- sometimes the host- will usually sneak in an item of higher value into the mix. It's way fun!)
two three dice (can use four or more, if playing with a large group)
– a baking tin (can use two or more, if playing with a large group)
– a timer (the one on your phone will do- BUT IT MUST BE LOUD ENOUGH TO HEAR OVER EXCITED SHOUTING!)
[[In groups of more than 10 people, we send around two tins each with three dice in them. This moves the game along a little quicker so is more exciting. You still only need to get doubles with the dice, not triples.]]

Instructions:

Spoiler
Round One
1. Everyone sits in a circle, and places the wrapped presents in the middle of the circle.
2. Place two three dice into the baking tin (feel free to use multiple tins – we had twelve people, and used two tins, each with two three dice).
3. The first round is not timed. Everyone gets a chance to roll the dice (the tins are handy because they make it easier to pass the dice quickly, and provide flat surface to roll them on), with the goal being to get doubles (both dice showing the same number).
4. If you roll doubles, hand the tin to the person on your left, and pick a present from the pile in the middle.
5. If you do not roll doubles, hand the tin to the person on your left. You do not get to pick a present.

6. Keep passing the tins and the dice around the circle until all the presents are gone from the middle. This is the end of the first round. It is OK for people to have multiple presents, and some people to not have any presents at all – it happens!

Round Two
6a. Do not unwrap the presents. Set a timer for 4 minutes. (Suggest longer time for larger groups, maybe 5 minutes). Same dice rolling rules. Only this time when you get doubles, take a present from someone else's pile. This round is fun because there is always interesting speculation about what the present is, and popular gifts emerge! When the buzzer sounds, round is over.

Round Three
7. Unwrap presents! No hiding the good ones – you must show everyone what your present, and say what it is out loud! We go around in a circle and share what we have.
8. The second third round is even more fun than the second, and this round is also timed. We decided to do 3 two minutes, but the time is up to you. (Suggest slightly longer time for larger groups, maybe three minutes)
9. In the third round, the same rules apply: everyone rolls the dice, hoping to get doubles. But now when you roll doubles, you get to steal a prize from someone else, and you know exactly what it is!
10. When the timer goes off, the game is over, and all prizes are final. Of course, there’s bound to be plenty of bartering, trading, and occasionally giving to those that didn’t get any presents at all.

(We also set up a prize table with inexpensive gifts and popular sweets. Invite anyone who didn't get a gift to select an item from the prize table)

This game is always a hit! Since there are so many prizes, it's also very inclusive- invite all non-pony people guests to play too!

ETA- Last meet we also tested a "themed" game, asking participants to only bring G1 pony items, including ponies, merch, accessories and retro items. Value was still $1-$3 per item. (This was my idea, as I thought in the past the game had been overwhelmed with almost exclusively G4 merch.) We still showed our G4 love and appreciation in other games and prizes though, so no hard feelings!

You'll have to ask the players if they appreciated this deviation!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:42:58 AM by ponyqueen »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 12:23:37 PM »
The deviation was fun, PQ. It is really easy to find cheap G4 things right now, so it makes sense that there's lots of G4 items. It helped people be more creative with what they brought. I got a little flier, a pen, and some art that is now hanging on my wall of pony art! Other things I've enjoyed seeing are cups of candy (because who doesn't like candy?) or customs that aren't your favorites anymore. Someone else can customize them or may love them the way they are!

Offline thesugarpuppie

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • formerly Gothic Sugar
    • View Profile
    • My sites
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 02:56:40 PM »

Sweet Stuff, I'm also trying to figure out a venue.  I can't do it at home since I live with family at the moment so I'm looking around. If I thought that a Friday would work (I think most people work or don't have a flex job like I do) then I'd just have it at my favorite pizza place since they have event rooms that are really affordable. That way food would be taken care of and the venue.  They have a deal on catering ans space rental.  They even have gluten free options for those with gluten allergies.   But 'll put out a feeler and see. 

Another option was the library, but it has to be open to the public which seems like an okay idea, but then I wouldn't want it to get crowded which brings me to what Barnacle_lady and ponyqueen said.  I don't really know how many people to plan for.  Do you estimate a cap for your first year?  Is just limiting it to maybe 20 people a good idea? 

And how long should the meet last?  Is a couple of hours enough time for games and shopping or would it feel too rushed?

I have had a horrrrrible ( yes I meant to type it that way :lol: ) time trying to find a suitable venue -- But I finally have two good options. It comes down to space, money and location.. Do I pay a little more for a bigger place and great location, OR do I go the cheaper route and have out of town/state  participants drive across town for the venue (depending upon where they stay)...? Hmm! I'm leaning towards the first option. To me, convenience is more important than my budget.. and I want to be a good hostess!  :blush: ^.^ 

You would think churches would be accommodating and at least nice if they can't hold small, public meetings/events but sheesh! Most churches who have available rent-able space never got back to me or said a snippy "NO." As a Christian I was SUPER embarrassed by one woman's attitude over the phone, but that's another topic..  :blush: :blink:  :P Anyways, one did get back to me, and their spaces were gorgeous, but their rate was by the hour not by day..

Regarding time -- I have put it as 11 am - 4 pm ish. with dinner later that evening for whoever wants to come. I've blocked about 2 hours for myself to get there beforehand and help with the set up and greeting.. 10 am is when people can start coming in, but 11 am is when it kicks off. I originally had it set for only like 11 am - 2 but felt like it would be rushed. I'm sure others who have hosted before can chime in. :)

Regarding people -- There is not a cap on mine, I didn't even think of putting one on it..  :lol: >_< :P
But, we've had a good turn out so far.. I'm not too worried -- I think having room for 20 is good. Ours is shaping up to be around 15 or so, so yeah. :) The venue I'm eyeing can hold various groups so it will work out in one of the smaller rooms, no problem, with plenty of seating and tables. Again, I'd be interested in hearing what other folks have to say. :)

Post Merge: March 09, 2016, 07:57:00 AM

Aurora, is this the dice game?? haha, I played something similar before. . .

http://www.dualingmoms.com/the-gift-grab-dice-game/

Good point, I think I'd go with the one that's a bit more convenient for everyone even if it costs a bit more.   I want something with fairly easy access to everyone instead of something that's really difficult to find or get to. 

Aurora, I'll look into schools as well.  My mom mentioned that to me also, so I'm going to see how it works out.

And those games sound like a lot of fun.  I love bingo, and I like drawing and crafts so I could put something together.  I also want to try the present one.  It kind of sound like the white elephant game.

I would do a prize/raffle table I think for the jar and other stuff like what was mentioned that way there's a chance for everyone to get something and when I put out my feeler, I'll see if anyone wants to help with prizes and food or anything.
Instagram
Twitter
Ko-fi

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 09:50:59 PM »
If you are hosting a number of people at your home instead of renting a venue...  ask politely if people could donate toilet paper to the cause!  LOL  I know it seems odd but THINK ABOUT IT if you include partners and kids...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 09:24:24 AM »
If you are hosting a number of people at your home instead of renting a venue...  ask politely if people could donate toilet paper to the cause!  LOL  I know it seems odd but THINK ABOUT IT if you include partners and kids...

Hahah! That's awesome and brilliant! I'll keep that in mind when I bring a hostess gift- some tp elegantly decorated... (it truly is a good idea, I'm not mocking. it's just funny to think about!)

Offline thesugarpuppie

• Dazzle Surprise
  • formerly Gothic Sugar
    • View Profile
    • My sites
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »
That's a good idea about the toilet paper.  I honestly wouldn't have thought of that if I were hosting at home.
Instagram
Twitter
Ko-fi

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »
I don't think I've ever used even one whole roll of tp at a house party, and I've hosted several groups of 40-50 people...

Offline thesugarpuppie

• Dazzle Surprise
  • formerly Gothic Sugar
    • View Profile
    • My sites
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 04:14:32 PM »
I don't think I've ever used even one whole roll of tp at a house party, and I've hosted several groups of 40-50 people...
I'm guessing maybe it was a long day/weekend?  I do like the idea, but I don't know if I could ask though because it would be kind of awkward if I were hosting at home.  I'd do that for a park meetup or something where I knew it would be scarce.  Now paper towels, I would ask for if everyone were bringing something.
Instagram
Twitter
Ko-fi

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2016, 09:53:48 AM »
Okay well the last few meets I went to were all-weekend things, in which we were sleeping over!  If it's a one day thing, you might not have to!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2016, 10:08:53 AM »
Kewl! Now I totally want to organize a weekend pony meet extravaganza! We could camp put, have a bonfire, watch movies in our pjs...!

Offline thesugarpuppie

• Dazzle Surprise
  • formerly Gothic Sugar
    • View Profile
    • My sites
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 12:51:43 AM »
Bumping in case anyone else has some advice.  I've got some good stuff so far.  Would anyone go to an evening meet on a Saturday, or is it better to just do day time on a Sunday? 

Instagram
Twitter
Ko-fi

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 01:18:43 AM »
This sounds so exciting!

I am new to pony, since November with G4 and about a third of the way through G1 and it is clear that I will not be able to travel to any big pony-con in the foreseeable future...just too much undertaking...how do I find a little pony meet near me?  I would especially like to volunteer to help someone with labor who is wanting to host one...would be a total win/win!

I live in San Francisco bay area...don't suppose this is near anyone who could use a hand...I'll do what it takes to get invited.

Sounds like great ideas here I hope it helps get some pony meets off the ground!

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 06:24:57 AM »
I have a question . . . and if I need to post this as a different topic, please somepony let me know.. It pertains to Pony Meets...

Spoiler
My assistant and I are not getting along... We're not verbally fighting, but I can just get this feeling, ya know? I'm trying my best to be friendly (I just met her a few months ago, so it's not like we've been friends forever..) and include her in the details since she is the 'assistant' but I'm getting nowhere... We've met once over lunch to discuss the Pony Meet, and she barely talked..it was like talking to crickets. She did apologize halfway through, though... so that's OK, however it's really tough.. I tried to bounce ideas off her.. And nothing. We have texted back and forth with a little more success..  She has helped look into venues, but she only looked into one, and that was because her sister works there.. hrm. I asked her yesterday for help with the cost of the venue that I really like and she ignored my question.. like she didn't want to help monetarily. I personally would think that the assistant, whoever it is, would be kind enough to help with even $10, $20??  :lookround: Our personalities are different, definitely, but it's like I'm really doing all the work and she just has the title at this point. What do I do?? I can't tell her she can't come....She knows most of the details already (except time). She has agreed to bring prizes, so that's good. I'm not complaining, I'm just feeling kinda overwhelmed and in need of support. My mom has shown some interest, but not sure if she could get off that Saturday to help. I guess I just lock down the venue and continue on as I have been doing? >_< :blush:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal