collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP G1 Vinyls Coming Soon  (Read 33233 times)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
Re: MLP G1 Vinyls Coming Soon
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2016, 02:15:23 AM »
No. Money saved.

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2016, 06:30:38 AM »
Not always a fan of the hugely deformed chibi figures, but these look quite cute. I guess it depends if / how much they retail for over here. Some of those tiny blind boxes are £10 each, and if that is the case with these, I might have to give them a miss. The Gusty I would have to pick up for my army, though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2016, 08:37:33 AM »
*spits on floor*  NO.  Definitely NO.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2016, 09:50:07 AM »
I definitely want "Glory" or Applejack :) These are cute!

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »
What is with these akwardly agressive comments?  Sometimes it feels some G1 fans will only be pleased with ya know...old G1 toys. No current merch will be good enough.
I'm just happy G1 is getting some love during this G4 borefest.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »
What is with these akwardly agressive comments?  Sometimes it feels some G1 fans will only be pleased with ya know...old G1 toys. No current merch will be good enough.

Alot of people just don't like jointed animal toys. It looks fine with humans, humanoid shaped and Transformers but its never really looked very good on animals and not everyone  likes chibi heads.

If they had done them more like the Funko G4 mlps where its all one solid piece, but has the charm and individuality that The Loyal Subjects sculpts do, it would be a bit better received. Plus there are a lot of people in this thread who like these alot. ;)

I've looked through a lot of The Loyal Subjects toys on there store and I've seen them in places like Hot Topic and Barnes n Noble and I really just don't like their squat style period.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:30:14 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »

My comment is neither awkward nor aggressive.  But I will go find my post where I discussed my thoughts on this:

Ah, here:  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,376464.0.html

It would probably be impossible for mass production, but I wish Hasbro would take notes from this BJD pony:

http://silverbeam.deviantart.com/art/BJD-Pony-326864272

(Minus the head. It looks too much like the SFM ponies to me and I hate those models)

But that's the kind of jointing I'd like to see. Looks much better.
this is a great example for G4 but it would be hard with G1.  G4 design doesn't fully articulate the joints - it's much more vague.  G1 design definitely tried to make efforts to show the caricature of an equine leg.  You can't do that AND hide the joints very well...

Hmmm do you know I would be more than happy to see G1 ponies again.  That aren't designed by someone else like Funko, WeLoveFine, The Loyal Subjects, etc.  If I had known that the G1 retro re-releases a decade ago would have prompted MORE re-releases, I would have bought dozens of them.  With no "promise" of more from Hasbro, I was pretty disappointed at the pathetic quality and small distribution.  They asked us what we would pay if they did this, we told them, they released them, they sold terribly, they didn't make more.  If at any point Hasbro has said, "This is an experiment for a collector's line of MLP", I wouldn't have complained.  But poor communication on their part led to terrible sales which led to no more G1 ponies being produced.  :( 

So sick of everything needing to be designed to look "chibi", "SD" or "anime-stylized".  Move away from this design trend already!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2016, 11:23:47 AM »
Unfortunately, it seems to be a style that just refuses to die.  As others have said, the more compact design makes for easier packaging.  The Loyal Subjects are also none of their articulated figurines.  They're obviously going to do that here.

The problem is Hasbro isn't releasing anything of its own for G1.  Even their G4 lines are so limited and the distribution is patchy at best.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »

My comment is neither awkward nor aggressive.  But I will go find my post where I discussed my thoughts on this:

Ah, here:  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,376464.0.html

It would probably be impossible for mass production, but I wish Hasbro would take notes from this BJD pony:

http://silverbeam.deviantart.com/art/BJD-Pony-326864272

(Minus the head. It looks too much like the SFM ponies to me and I hate those models)

But that's the kind of jointing I'd like to see. Looks much better.
this is a great example for G4 but it would be hard with G1.  G4 design doesn't fully articulate the joints - it's much more vague.  G1 design definitely tried to make efforts to show the caricature of an equine leg.  You can't do that AND hide the joints very well...

Hmmm do you know I would be more than happy to see G1 ponies again.  That aren't designed by someone else like Funko, WeLoveFine, The Loyal Subjects, etc.  If I had known that the G1 retro re-releases a decade ago would have prompted MORE re-releases, I would have bought dozens of them.  With no "promise" of more from Hasbro, I was pretty disappointed at the pathetic quality and small distribution.  They asked us what we would pay if they did this, we told them, they released them, they sold terribly, they didn't make more.  If at any point Hasbro has said, "This is an experiment for a collector's line of MLP", I wouldn't have complained.  But poor communication on their part led to terrible sales which led to no more G1 ponies being produced.  :( 

So sick of everything needing to be designed to look "chibi", "SD" or "anime-stylized".  Move away from this design trend already!

Well said.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2016, 12:12:44 PM »
You rang for SD (me)? Lol, jk

But in all seriousness, this trend will not die out fast so long as there is more demand for it.
While I would love to see G1 again in it's old glory Hasbro will not do it, and it doesn't look like they plan on moving on from G4 style any time soon.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 07, 2016, 12:12:59 PM »
Unfortunately, it seems to be a style that just refuses to die.  As others have said, the more compact design makes for easier packaging.  The Loyal Subjects are also none of their articulated figurines.  They're obviously going to do that here.

The problem is Hasbro isn't releasing anything of its own for G1.  Even their G4 lines are so limited and the distribution is patchy at best.

This too. I would like it very much if Hasbro showed its oldest fans a little more love, like they do their oldest TF fans. How many wonderful and improved TF designs have they made while still being retro enough to appeal to nostalgia?

They have been getting better with Retro merch though...overseas anyway.  :(

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 07, 2016, 01:07:53 PM »
Hasbro has fed the TF fan beast more consistently over the decades.  Transformers never had a wilderness period like My Little Pony did during the 90's (outside of Europe before any Euro users disagree).  Some who was 2 in 1992 when the line was discontinued in the U.S. was 13 when G3 started.  The highly polarizing and short-lived G2 probably hurt community cohesion more than helped.

Our community is too small for them to care apparently.  Though, if they did care, we would probably see more growth in our community.  Instead, most of their energy goes into bronies who will disappear once this current generation (FiM to be more accurate) ends.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2016, 03:24:27 PM »

My comment is neither awkward nor aggressive.

That thing about spitting on the floor was tho.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #163 on: February 07, 2016, 03:33:08 PM »

This too. I would like it very much if Hasbro showed its oldest fans a little more love, like they do their oldest TF fans. How many wonderful and improved TF designs have they made while still being retro enough to appeal to nostalgia?

They have been getting better with Retro merch though...overseas anyway.  :(

Transformers fans are more willing to spend money, so they get better quality and a wider variety of items.  When Hasbro did that poll during the G3 era, they asked MLP collectors how much they would be willing to pay for a retro G1 pony.  The community collectively said:  $5.  Ridiculously low when you consider that, accounting for inflation, the ORIGINAL G1 ponies actually cost $12 in today's money.  And they were sold in massive batches, whereas collector merchandise is typically priced higher, to make up for having a more specialized and limited audience.

I am honestly surprised we even got the two sets we did.  I do not think we will ever get Hasbro produced retro ponies again.

I hope that, even if the style isn't to your taste, everyone appreciates Loyal Subjects producing G1 merchandise that isn't just clipart slapped on a shirt.  They are taking a risk.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #164 on: February 07, 2016, 03:50:27 PM »
Well... ok, I wasn't a collector when the re-releases were released, but I didn't even find out about them until like what... a week ago, maybe two? I would have bought them for sure, had I known about them. Now they are very high on my "must absolutely have!!!"-list. I'd love to have the experience again of going into a toy store and standing in front of dozens of G1, and having to decide which one(s) to take home. Yes, I occasionally buy G4, and I want to get a few of the smaller playset things of the EG line (if they EVER appear over here, I monthly check two toy stores and it has been ages that I found anything new MLP. They're even lacking blind bags!). But that's nothing compared to how G1 would feel, as this is where my heart lies, and I am sure that's what it is for many of us.

It's a shame Hasbro doesn't give it a real try and tries to catch those that grew up with them, but not actually collect them. That generation is currently heading to toy stores all over the world in search of toys for their own child, I bet you that many a mommy would go "oh, wow, these were like mine back in the days, I'll get my child the new ones... and the old one for me, so we can play together!" Profit for Hasbro, some nice nostalgia for the mommies, fun time with mommy for the kids, and more stuff for us to collect - everyone is happy! Ah well... a girl can dream!

That said, I am planning to get a few of the big headed vinyl ones, but only if they are affordable for us peeps in Europe. I'm definitely not paying what, 15 bucks or more for the pony and then 30 on shipping!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:53:13 PM by Shileah »
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal