collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP G1 Vinyls Coming Soon  (Read 33660 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: MLP G1 Vinyls Coming Soon
« Reply #165 on: February 07, 2016, 03:52:42 PM »
Why did fans say $5?  They never considered inflation and the fact it was going to be a limited release?

Though, I think we had a discussion that people think it is more acceptable to splurge on "boy" collectibles than "girl" collectibles.  Double standards for the win!

I think we do need to support this.  This could be a gateway to more respect from Hasbro.  They need to see G1 stuff can sell.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »
Unfortunately, it seems to be a style that just refuses to die.  As others have said, the more compact design makes for easier packaging.  The Loyal Subjects are also none of their articulated figurines.  They're obviously going to do that here.

The problem is Hasbro isn't releasing anything of its own for G1.  Even their G4 lines are so limited and the distribution is patchy at best.

This too. I would like it very much if Hasbro showed its oldest fans a little more love, like they do their oldest TF fans. How many wonderful and improved TF designs have they made while still being retro enough to appeal to nostalgia?

They have been getting better with Retro merch though...overseas anyway.  :(

Transformers fans are more willing to spend money, so they get better quality and a wider variety of items.  When Hasbro did that poll during the G3 era, they asked MLP collectors how much they would be willing to pay for a retro G1 pony.  The community collectively said:  $5.  Ridiculously low when you consider that, accounting for inflation, the ORIGINAL G1 ponies actually cost $12 in today's money.  And they were sold in massive batches, whereas collector merchandise is typically priced higher, to make up for having a more specialized and limited audience.

I am honestly surprised we even got the two sets we did.  I do not think we will ever get Hasbro produced retro ponies again.

I hope that, even if the style isn't to your taste, everyone appreciates Loyal Subjects producing G1 merchandise that isn't just clipart slapped on a shirt.  They are taking a risk.

That's a good point about TF fans. But in all fairness, G1 and G3 fans are used to ponies being five bucks ^^

I do appreciate it and if its not too expensive I'll buy a few. I do like Sundance and Mystery Purple Unicorn. Perhaps they will look better in person. Perhaps not. There's nothing wrong with them, I just don't like TLS style on any of there figures.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »
Why did fans say $5?  They never considered inflation and the fact it was going to be a limited release?

IIRC, a lot of people said "If I can buy a brand new G3 for $5, I should be able to buy a new G1 for $5" and also "I can get a good condition Cotton Candy for $5, so why should I pay more than that."  If you poke through the MLP Arena archives you may be able to find the original thread with a link to the poll (which is obviously long gone now) and people talking about it.

Though, I think we had a discussion that people think it is more acceptable to splurge on "boy" collectibles than "girl" collectibles.  Double standards for the win!

I dunno, the Jem dolls from Integrity Toys are pricey, but popular.  But they are also a much better representation of the TV characters than the original Hasbro dolls, and better quality than the originals.  In a weird way, I think retro MLPs are doomed because the original toys are so durable. It's easy to pick up good condition G1 MLPs cheap, but not easy to find G1 Dinobot Swoop without his beak broken off.  So MLP collectors are used to not spending much.  It's just the way it is.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2016, 04:29:52 PM »
Didn't think of it like that. Good points Lady Moondancer. :)

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
I feel like literally everything g1 since then that wasn't like clothing has been super hated on (although that mini Firefly beast deserves the hate I think lmao). Those Hamilton figurines were (Firefly and Glory), and I admit they were a little weird but I LOVED them and omgggg did it take me FOREVER to find someone to sell me Firefly, it seems like no one bought her so there were really none around to even buy! And that person barely wanted to part with her because she knew there weren't many around. I wasn't collecting when they were out so I had to buy them afterward.

And then those reproduction sets which I was over the moon about when my mom went and bought me both rainbow ponies sets (good mom ty, I was a highschooler without money). I think people did like those little dolly mix ponies...

And I guess those Snowbaby sets were liked except people hated the dolls and collectors complained about the prices.

I get really excited every time we get a new opportunity. I totally get that people are disappointed and that's up to them and I respect that, I'm just marveling at how as a community it seems most of us are always displeased and if we're not we don't want to spend the money. lol
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »
I feel like literally everything g1 since then that wasn't like clothing has been super hated on (although that mini Firefly beast deserves the hate I think lmao). Those Hamilton figurines were (Firefly and Glory), and I admit they were a little weird but I LOVED them and omgggg did it take me FOREVER to find someone to sell me Firefly, it seems like no one bought her so there were really none around to even buy! And that person barely wanted to part with her because she knew there weren't many around. I wasn't collecting when they were out so I had to buy them afterward.

And then those reproduction sets which I was over the moon about when my mom went and bought me both rainbow ponies sets (good mom ty, I was a highschooler without money). I think people did like those little dolly mix ponies...

And I guess those Snowbaby sets were liked except people hated the dolls and collectors complained about the prices.

I get really excited every time we get a new opportunity. I totally get that people are disappointed and that's up to them and I respect that, I'm just marveling at how as a community it seems most of us are always displeased and if we're not we don't want to spend the money. lol

If it makes you feel better, we haven't reached rabid Smash Bros fans levels of whining.

I did want those repro rainbow ponies but never found them anywhere and was too late in realizing they were a thing.

Fakiefly deserved every bit of vitriol it got, that thing was uuuglyyy and I'm sure the upcoming Glory will be in the same boat.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:04:19 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline ponycake

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 07, 2016, 04:58:25 PM »
What upcoming Glory? o_O

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2016, 05:03:33 PM »
What upcoming Glory? o_O

You know the people who did the mini Firefly and book that people were upset about? They are doing another one with Glory.

Offline ponycake

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2016, 05:06:17 PM »
WHOA. How did I miss that!? I can't believe it! I mean I feel like a ton of us did go and excitedly preorder when it was just a photoshopped image, I myself ordered 3. hahahaha omg. I hope it's better but I doubt it. T_T

ETA:  I just went and searched it and now I remember I did see it but apparently it just flew out of my mind and was news to me the second time. lolol. I think I will preorder two again... lmao then we'll get Applejack or somebody because they think we like it again. I know I posted this last time but look how badly 'shopped it is.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:10:27 PM by ponycake »

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 07, 2016, 05:27:34 PM »
G1 ponies are durable.  Though, no moving/protruding parts is a definite plus.  I think there are some early G4's showing more degradation than even Year 1 ponies out there.

And, unfortunately, any retro set would probably be made the same way G4 is made.  Substandard materials and shoddy quality control.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2016, 08:40:40 PM »

IIRC, a lot of people said "If I can buy a brand new G3 for $5, I should be able to buy a new G1 for $5" and also "I can get a good condition Cotton Candy for $5, so why should I pay more than that."  If you poke through the MLP Arena archives you may be able to find the original thread with a link to the poll (which is obviously long gone now) and people talking about it.

I dunno, the Jem dolls from Integrity Toys are pricey, but popular.  But they are also a much better representation of the TV characters than the original Hasbro dolls, and better quality than the originals.  In a weird way, I think retro MLPs are doomed because the original toys are so durable. It's easy to pick up good condition G1 MLPs cheap, but not easy to find G1 Dinobot Swoop without his beak broken off.  So MLP collectors are used to not spending much.  It's just the way it is.

This was my thinking at the time, and in a way still is.  I could buy an original in good condition for the same or less than new in the store.  And as a collector, why would I buy a lower quality" retro" version when I could get the real thing for the same price?  (I did in fact buy the year 1 ponies because I didn't have most of them at the time, but I skipped the rainbow ponies.). This is why I have always said they should have made them in alternate poses or used more sought after ponies like Mimic or mail order ponies instead of some of the most common ponies of the generation.

This is why I am a supporter of the idea of g1 to G4 toys.  Remakes of the originals would be a hard sell if they aren't done just right and would only appeal to us collectors.   But I think g1 characters as G4 toys would fly off the shelves.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2016, 09:02:46 PM »

This was my thinking at the time, and in a way still is.  I could buy an original in good condition for the same or less than new in the store.  And as a collector, why would I buy a lower quality" retro" version when I could get the real thing for the same price?  (I did in fact buy the year 1 ponies because I didn't have most of them at the time, but I skipped the rainbow ponies.). This is why I have always said they should have made them in alternate poses or used more sought after ponies like Mimic or mail order ponies instead of some of the most common ponies of the generation.

This is why I am a supporter of the idea of g1 to G4 toys.  Remakes of the originals would be a hard sell if they aren't done just right and would only appeal to us collectors.   But I think g1 characters as G4 toys would fly off the shelves.

I wouldn't want them. They'd lack the beauty and I'm not fond of those unhorselike heads and bird beaks. -_-
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:04:39 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2016, 10:31:06 PM »

I think what really sunk the remakes was that it was big 3 packs. They actually made the same mistake with SSC for their 30th. You know what the Bridge Direct did for SSCs 35th since they have the rights to SSC now? They released original Strawberry individually in a box that was a replica of the original packaging. If Hasbro had released the repros individually in an exact replica of the original packaging. Collectors want the original packaging not something that just looks retro. I think people would have been willing to pay even $8 for a repro Cotton Candy in a replica of the original packaging. And maybe it would have taken off well enough to be a regular thing and there would be plenty of available G1 style baits as well.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline SummerSkye

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2016, 03:55:24 AM »
They are a little weird but BUTTONS!!! :lol:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2016, 05:39:23 AM »
I'm not a supporter of G1 to G4 toys, for a few reasons. We would never get actual TEs is one of those reasons. The best we would get is Faceted painted eyes on the G4. We would never get a true TAF pony, Hasbro only seems to want the symbol on one side. Quality would not be good, G4 quality in various ways has went down hill with various ponies. Flutter ponies would not be the same if they were made, G4 wing gimmicks do not really look right imo and would not translate for G1 flutter ponies.

Pretty much they would only stick to the basic earth, unicorn, and pegasus ponies from G1 who didn't have any special needed to be done to them (like TEs). The designs for G4 just doesn't fit with G1s to me. If any hasbro reps have been to the Pony Fairs during G4 they would have seen G1 to G4 customs by now and might get some ideas, but they haven't seemed to even bat an eyelash.

I think it's good that at least someone is throwing G1 lovers a bone. I have to wonder what the original creator of G1 would think of these :) I think she would have liked them for what they are and that at least some one is -trying-.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal