collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's the weirdest story you have about getting a pony?  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: What's the weirdest story you have about getting a pony?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 11:27:49 AM »
I have loads of awesome memories of carbooting with  my sister between about 1995 (when we discovered MLP was not in stores any more) and 2000. My sister was almost 8 when we began carbooting, and small, cute and very clever. So she was always getting things given to her for free. Especially dragons. But we were a hunting team. I remember one carboot sale, she spotted Lightning and Princess Pearl, 2 ponies I had been desperate for since a child. She literally threw her arms around the box and LAY on it so nobody else could get to them first. I still remember her screeching "Princess Pearl and Lightning!" at the TOP of her voice.

So my Pearl and Lightning are thanks to my sister. At that time there was another collector around, and she was at the stall at the same time as we were. Thus Naynie's antics. But because of that, the other collector (who was a brat) got an Italian Heart Throb from the stall. Naynie was in love with Heart Throb at that time, and she wasn't sold in the UK, so finding her here in any form was very unusual. This brat collector waved Heart Throb in her face, and my sister wound up in floods of tears.

So. Roll on to 1998, and this collector sold up all her ponies (or left them to her Dad to sell) at the carboot sale. And believe me, I went through every single box to find that Heart Throb.

Naynie now owns her. Although she has a regular HT as well, now, and a Baby one, that one is special, as she was her reward for Pearl and Lightning that day ;).

The other weird story also involves my sister. We were on holiday in Wales, and on the beach we found a stranded starfish. We wanted to help it, so we got our bucket and spade and put it in the bucket and took it out to sea. I don't know if we managed to save it, but we tried. Before we put it out into the sea, Naynie named it. She called it "Barnacle" because he was her favourite boy pony, and she didn't have one yet.

That weekend, when we came home, Barnacle was at the Car Boot sale, with his hat and bandana. He is really in excellent condition, his hair still curly. He's also now part of Naynie's pony herd. He's the only boy pony I don't have myself, because, honestly, I can't beat the starfish karma ;)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ribbs

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »
My sister once gave me a baby seapony she randomly found on the street on the way home from school. Aside from an Italian Blue Belle find once, I don't have very good pony luck.

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 12:09:54 PM »
I don't have any cool / weird stories..  :sad: :yikes:

The only "wild" find so far...
I rescued a baby Surprise from a donated box of G1 ponies at a church garage sale. No one wanted her because she had tail rust. She's now rust free and has been reunited with Mom.  :lovey:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 12:20:33 PM »
Ok my story I havent really told it. One time I went to a flea market we were there for another purpose but I figured I might as well look for ponies. They do have some newish ones around. So I was walking really quickly I didnt have much time to look so I my pony sense helped me out in this. So in the middle of the huge market I found a stall they had G3s I figured I would buy a few asked the lady of the stall how much and then I turned around my mouth dropped open. She was selling G1 MOC or MIB ponies I just was floored. I asked her how much for my two favorite ponies baby mib surprise and moc surprise. she gave me a very nice price for both so I bought them I was SO happy. I been back to that place but she didnt have any ponies for sale it was a bummer. :/

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 04:01:13 AM »
About ten years ago I was walking in Brooklyn and I saw a plastic bag in the dirt next to the sidewalk.  As I got closer I peered at it and saw colored hair- couldn't be right?  I opened the bag out of curiosity and it was-there were three ponies inside! Baby Quackers, Baby Glory with the dragon suit on, and Baby Leaper with his bandana and mint, spiral curls.  Luckiest find EVER.  There were a few stoop sales going on (tiny "yard sale" on a front stoop) earlier in the day that had ended, so they must have came from one of those.  I'll never forget that!

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline Vintageg2

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Love G2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 05:40:22 AM »
I love all these stories!! ^.^
Unfortunately I have only found a few non-special G2's on car boot sales.

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 05:54:35 AM »
I dug one up!  No, literally, I found one in buried in the ground when I was helping my sister dig a garden at her new house.  She took forever to clean up and still has a cut on her hind hoof from where the shovel hit her, but I wouldn't change a thing about her.

After clean up:

She looks pretty good except for the cut from the shovel.  I thought about fixing it with apoxie & repaint but I think it gives her character so I left it.

Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 06:14:46 AM »
brighteyes, I love your story!  You did a very good job cleaning her up.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 08:31:41 AM »
I've had some strange finds over the years, though only one pony related. When I was a kid, I played softball for a brief period of time, and one day I was walking back to the car with my parents from a game. The field was surrounded on all sides by a grassy area, and as I walked I spotted something brightly colored in the grass... I picked it up and found a perfectly clean LPS dog, with a hat on. No idea how it got there, but it's mine now!
I've also had 2 odd Calico Critters finds - just last month, I found a Berry Grove School, which hasn't been in U.S. stores sine about 2013, at a local Learning Express. The box was a bit banged up, but unopened. I grabbed it, and the store hasn't had any of the same kind since. Another time, also last year, I found an Oakwood Home at a flea market... for $7! It's missing both ladders and the top floor, the latter of which I'm desperately searching for - if you have one available, please let me know! ^^;
Anyway, my weird pony find. When I was a kid I would check under the beds of hotel rooms I stayed in, to see if the people before had left anything behind. No luck... until one day, I found a G3 brush. I hope I still have it...
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 08:53:18 AM »
I wish I had cool stories, but all of my finds have been pretty normal.  Love other people's epic tales though!

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 09:03:38 AM »
weirdest place to find a pony: Merry Treats on the dumpster behind the apartment complex I lived in a the time.
Weirdest thing to find in a pony: the pot stash in Munchy that I'm trying to permanently de-stink

I like to joke how Munchy is the perfect pony for that as well as the secret surprise line.

I've had great luck over the years with finding mail order ponies at flea markets and such. But oddest story would be the mini trashcan full of ponies my friends brought home from work that they saved from being thrown away! Those poor g3s survived a house fire with nothing wrong but a bit of ash on the surface of them. The company they work for sprays everything down with chemicals and the family pitched all the toys because of it wouldn't be safe if the baby got hold of them.  :pout: Like let's throw away perfectly good things instead of donating them. Unless the employees take it home it literally all goes to the dump.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 11:29:03 AM »
I dug one up!  No, literally, I found one in buried in the ground when I was helping my sister dig a garden at her new house.  She took forever to clean up and still has a cut on her hind hoof from where the shovel hit her, but I wouldn't change a thing about her.

After clean up:

She looks pretty good except for the cut from the shovel.  I thought about fixing it with apoxie & repaint but I think it gives her character so I left it.

This post wins. What are the odds?

Also, I dunno what I would do if I found a pony just lying by the road or whatever. I'd want to take it home, but I'd also feel guilty that some kid would be looking for it. It would probably turn into a whole drama with fliers...so hopefully it never happens to me xD.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 11:39:53 AM »
About ten years ago I was walking in Brooklyn and I saw a plastic bag in the dirt next to the sidewalk.  As I got closer I peered at it and saw colored hair- couldn't be right?  I opened the bag out of curiosity and it was-there were three ponies inside! Baby Quackers, Baby Glory with the dragon suit on, and Baby Leaper with his bandana and mint, spiral curls.  Luckiest find EVER.  There were a few stoop sales going on (tiny "yard sale" on a front stoop) earlier in the day that had ended, so they must have came from one of those.  I'll never forget that!

Wow!
:drunk:

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 05:29:37 AM »
Love these stories!! I don't have any exciting ones but I love everyone else's!  :lol:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 08:33:19 AM »
I have loads of awesome memories of carbooting with  my sister between about 1995 (when we discovered MLP was not in stores any more) and 2000. My sister was almost 8 when we began carbooting, and small, cute and very clever. So she was always getting things given to her for free. Especially dragons. But we were a hunting team. I remember one carboot sale, she spotted Lightning and Princess Pearl, 2 ponies I had been desperate for since a child. She literally threw her arms around the box and LAY on it so nobody else could get to them first. I still remember her screeching "Princess Pearl and Lightning!" at the TOP of her voice.

So my Pearl and Lightning are thanks to my sister. At that time there was another collector around, and she was at the stall at the same time as we were. Thus Naynie's antics. But because of that, the other collector (who was a brat) got an Italian Heart Throb from the stall. Naynie was in love with Heart Throb at that time, and she wasn't sold in the UK, so finding her here in any form was very unusual. This brat collector waved Heart Throb in her face, and my sister wound up in floods of tears.

So. Roll on to 1998, and this collector sold up all her ponies (or left them to her Dad to sell) at the carboot sale. And believe me, I went through every single box to find that Heart Throb.

Naynie now owns her. Although she has a regular HT as well, now, and a Baby one, that one is special, as she was her reward for Pearl and Lightning that day ;).

The other weird story also involves my sister. We were on holiday in Wales, and on the beach we found a stranded starfish. We wanted to help it, so we got our bucket and spade and put it in the bucket and took it out to sea. I don't know if we managed to save it, but we tried. Before we put it out into the sea, Naynie named it. She called it "Barnacle" because he was her favourite boy pony, and she didn't have one yet.

That weekend, when we came home, Barnacle was at the Car Boot sale, with his hat and bandana. He is really in excellent condition, his hair still curly. He's also now part of Naynie's pony herd. He's the only boy pony I don't have myself, because, honestly, I can't beat the starfish karma ;)

Say...can I borrow your sister next time I go pony hunting? I'll pay her in ponies and three fancy meals. :silly:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal