collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you feel about re-casts? (BJD)  (Read 7732 times)

Emerald

• Trade Count: (0)
How do you feel about re-casts? (BJD)
« on: December 29, 2015, 05:41:37 AM »
I don't have any of these (my doll came straight from luts a billion years ago) and didn't even know they existed until I joined some BJD groups recently and saw in the rules that posting them is not allowed. I know the general consensus is that they are art theft and most places are super against them. I was just wondering where those of you on this forum stood when it came to re-cast BJDs.

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
Re: How do you feel about re-casts? (BJD)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 05:45:19 AM »
I don't mind either way honestly. I've owned them in the past and I can't say I never will in the future. I think they serve a certain market.

Emerald

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:58:52 AM »
I've been reading more about this this morning and someone mentioned the working conditions etc. of the people making them, and that does make me second guess it more. I feel like they're similar to MLP fakies that are made from the same mold as real ponies but on a larger scale.

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 07:01:12 AM »
I feel like they're similar to MLP fakies that are made from the same mold as real ponies but on a larger scale.
I've usually felt similar to that too, I mean yeah I will almost always prefer an MLP over a fakie but there are the occasional fakies I've liked. Though I don't know that I will seek out recasted dolls, my life will not end if one ends up making its way into my family.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Emerald

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:03:23 AM »
I feel like they're similar to MLP fakies that are made from the same mold as real ponies but on a larger scale.
I've usually felt similar to that too, I mean yeah I will almost always prefer an MLP over a fakie but there are the occasional fakies I've liked. Though I don't know that I will seek out recasted dolls, my life will not end if one ends up making its way into my family.
That's where I am right now, too.

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 07:30:18 AM »
  You will discover many different opinions on recast dolls on this forum. I am myself very much for the open, honest exchange of ideas concerning the subject as I believe that an educated buyer is an empowered buyer. I %100 feel that ALL bjd collectors need to be thoroughly aware of the existence of recast dolls.

**However, as this subject has a history of turning ugly this post serves as a warning.**

Play nice, lovies! :lovey:
Your Doll Mod, Cherry

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Emerald

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 08:20:50 AM »
**However, as this subject has a history of turning ugly this post serves as a warning.**

I had to read this three times before realizing I'm not in trouble.  :blush: I didn't realize this was such a heated topic. Sorry!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 08:59:19 AM »
Big fat-cat companies like Mattel and Hasbro are not small artists or companies struggling to sell limited or unique products, certainly not handcrafted products- and they steal from each other and everyone else as often as possible and have questionable factory practices which do not make them particularly endearing. Plus, it is unlikely that the sale of some crappy knock-off dolls/ponies in the dollar store is actually hurting their bottom line.

In contrast, BJD companies who painstakingly create, sculpt and then sell their products in small numbers as they are ordered- are absolutely hurt by recasters and the sale of recasts.

Even if the sale of re-casts itself did not impact their bottom line by itself, the fact is that once a company is known to have fairly difficult-to-spot re-casts out in the world, it is likely that that sculpt or doll will not be ordered as much since buyers will know that a) their doll might get questioning looks from people wondering if she or he is a recast; b) re-selling that doll should the owner not bond with the doll ultimately, is probably harder with dolls known to have re-casts out there- since other buyers will not know for sure whether a second hand doll is authentic or not.

Even dolls like those created by Lilycat and Enchanted doll, which are incredibly rare and hard to get, being made by one single person, have been recast.

Recasters are changing the BJD hobby, and not for the better.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 12:12:04 PM »
Recasts are not currently banned on the Arena, because it didn't seem fair to disallow them while we allow fakies and reproductions of MLP items here.  It's something we have discussed quite a few times over the year.

As for my personal opinions on the subject, I just feel like there is a difference between a knockoff pony, which has almost zero effect on a large corporation like Hasbro, and a recast doll.  With BJDs, even the large companies are quite small and some of the artist dolls are completely designed and created by one person.  So when someone recasts the dolls and sells them cheaper than the artists' originals, it drastically affects their source of income.  To me, it's art theft.  If I want a doll who is expensive, then I save up for it until I can buy it.  I would not ever knowingly buy a recast doll; just for moral reasons.

Recasts make me uncomfortable and I have zero interest in owning one of my own, but I am also not interested in starting a witch hunt against people who do own recast dolls.  I don't think that it makes them bad people and it's not really any of my business what you choose to do with their dolls, really.  Just because I don't like something doesn't mean that I have to be a jerk about it.

I think that the biggest problem is when someone recasts dolls and then tries to pass them off as legit.  If I bought a doll and she turned out to be a recast, I would be absolutely furious!

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

PrincessGlitterBloom

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 12:29:27 PM »
I think they're ok in certain cases.
Particularly if the mold's been discontinued or there wasn't enough resin variation for different skintones and the like.

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »

I think that the biggest problem is when someone recasts dolls and then tries to pass them off as legit.  If I bought a doll and she turned out to be a recast, I would be absolutely furious!

Yup.

These resin dolls are not cheap.  I know that when I pay for something like a BJD, I expect high quality.  If I bought a BJD and ended up with a "fakie" recast, I would be very upset!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 12:32:50 PM »
Recasts are not currently banned on the Arena, because it didn't seem fair to disallow them while we allow fakies and reproductions of MLP items here.  It's something we have discussed quite a few times over the year.

As for my personal opinions on the subject, I just feel like there is a difference between a knockoff pony, which has almost zero effect on a large corporation like Hasbro, and a recast doll.  With BJDs, even the large companies are quite small and some of the artist dolls are completely designed and created by one person.  So when someone recasts the dolls and sells them cheaper than the artists' originals, it drastically affects their source of income.  To me, it's art theft.  If I want a doll who is expensive, then I save up for it until I can buy it.  I would not ever knowingly buy a recast doll; just for moral reasons.

Recasts make me uncomfortable and I have zero interest in owning one of my own, but I am also not interested in starting a witch hunt against people who do own recast dolls.  I don't think that it makes them bad people and it's not really any of my business what you choose to do with their dolls, really.  Just because I don't like something doesn't mean that I have to be a jerk about it.

I see it as art theft as well.

I don't think there should be a witch hunt and agree that aspect gets ridiculous at times, but I will admit it saddens me that the Arena is recast friendly and I hope that changes some day.

Emerald

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 01:03:17 PM »
I'm glad I posted this. You have all made some great points. Thank you!

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 01:09:09 PM »
Recast are such a double edge sword for people. There are always going to be those that support them and then there are those that are strictly against them. While I am personal neither for or against them. I don't think anyone on here needs to feel like because the own a recast they can't show it or be happy they have it. Especially seeing as the arena is recast friendly at this time. 

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »
Whether or not I ever end up with a recast, like I said, I don't plan on seeking one out, I do hope that this forum never bans recasts from being shown/discussed.
One of the things I love about the arena is that it is full of so many different people who have different views on a lot of things but despite that it is a friendly and welcoming community that allows each of us to explore our love for what are essentially "toys" in our own way and be able to share this love with others without fear of ridicule or hatred.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal